• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Talking food

Wahbooz

Governor
Once one is familiar with flavor profiles, it becomes easier. One of the classic combos is sweet/salty. Often used in candy, it also appears in great tastes like melon and prosciutto. Honeydew and bacon isn't very different from cantaloupe and prosciutto...

I was not raised in an exciting food world. Dad was a meat and potatoes man and hated chicken...a leftover remnant of his depression upbringing. He wouldn't allow it on the dinner table. He did travel a bit, so that's when we "experimented" with dangerous foods like spaghetti and of course, the forbidden chicken. Rice never sat on our table in my childhood.

I did not have Chinese until the night of high school graduation. That was very important and set me down a more open food path. I'm still no foodie, but have become far more expansive in my diet. I'm grateful to the women who took me on culinary adventures and I'm grateful to have lived in San Francisco for a decade...as the City features a plethora of foods from around the world. Thai, Viet, Mex, French, Spanish, Salvadoran, ALL the Chinese provinces and that encouraged a broader outlook.

One of my favorite dishes is Lamb Tagine with chick peas and dried apricots. Ras-el-hanout is the key.

INGREDIENTS

3/4 cup dried chickpeas
5 garlic cloves (2 whole, 3 chopped)
1 large cinnamon stick, broken in half
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 pounds 1" cubes lamb shoulder
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large onion, diced
5 teaspoons Ras-el-Hanout spice blend
1 tablespoon chopped peeled ginger
1 cup canned diced tomatoes with juices
2 1/2 cups (or more) low-salt chicken stock
1/2 cup halved dried apricots
Steamed couscous
Chopped fresh cilantro

PREPARATION

Place chickpeas in a medium saucepan. Add water to cover by 2". Let soak overnight.
Drain chickpeas; return to same saucepan. Add 2 whole garlic cloves and cinnamon stick. Add water to cover by 2". Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until chickpeas are tender, about 45 minutes. Drain; set aside.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Season lamb with salt and pepper. Working in batches, brown lamb on all sides, about 4 minutes per batch. Transfer lamb to a medium bowl. Add onion to pot; reduce heat to medium, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until soft and beginning to turn golden, about 5 minutes. Add chopped garlic, Ras-el-Hanout , and ginger. Stir for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and lamb with any accumulated juices. Bring to a boil. Add 2 1/2 cups stock. Return to a boil, reduce heat to low, partially cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lamb is tender, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
Stir in chickpeas; simmer until heated through, about 10 minutes. Stir in apricots; simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon couscous onto a large, shallow platter, forming a large well in center. Spoon tagine into center. Sprinkle cilantro over.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/lamb-tagine-with-chickpeas-and-apricots-367761
In the '60's, inspite of places like Top of the Mark, my most favorite places were Chinatown and Fisherman's Wharf. Grab the Powell Street cable car, and down to Alioto's. Even the sea lions on the pier made it memorable.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
In the '60's, inspite of places like Top of the Mark, my most favorite places were Chinatown and Fisherman's Wharf. Grab the Powell Street cable car, and down to Alioto's. Even the sea lions on the pier made it memorable.
I never did get to The Top of The Mark. Dunno why, just didn't. Never went to The Tonga Room either.

Had a roommate who bar-tended at Fisherman's Grotto...

What took me to the wharf, besides my Taxicab journeys, was Tower Records...

Wahbooz

Governor
I never did get to The Top of The Mark. Dunno why, just didn't. Never went to The Tonga Room either.

Had a roommate who bar-tended at Fisherman's Grotto...

What took me to the wharf, besides my Taxicab journeys, was Tower Records...

Or the Hurricane Bar? I understand they may be closing.

I haven't thought about Tower Records in decades. My aunt used to live just north of CCSF. Or was it south, can't remember. She lived on Phelan.

Holy crap! I just looked it up on Redfin, and the house has an estimated value of over $1 million today.

Last edited:

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Or the Hurricane Bar? I understand they may be closing.

I haven't thought about Tower Records in decades. My aunt used to live just north of CCSF. Or was it south, can't remember. She lived on Phelan.
Hmmm...just north I'd say. Only two residential blocks, some very nice cottages. CCSF is on Phelan too...

Well, Tower's been closed for awhile...like...a decade! Shut down in 2006. Colin Hanks recently produced a nice documentary about the place...

All Things Must Pass

http://www.towerrecordsmovie.com

My favorite downtown-ish bar was Spec's, tucked back in a North Beach alley near Columbus and Broadway. They opened in '68. Still open...

Wahbooz

Governor
Hmmm...just north I'd say. Only two residential blocks, some very nice cottages. CCSF is on Phelan too...

Well, Tower's been closed for awhile...like...a decade! Shut down in 2006. Colin Hanks recently produced a nice documentary about the place...

All Things Must Pass

http://www.towerrecordsmovie.com

My favorite downtown-ish bar was Spec's, tucked back in a North Beach alley near Columbus and Broadway. They opened in '68. Still open...

Yes, I looked it up. Judson Ave. passes right by it. I just looked it up and the taxes are far less than I pay in taxes on just one of my houses, and it's estimated value doesn't come close.

I'll take a look. Never been there.

Wahbooz

Governor
Scandinavian, or interested in the region and it's food? This is Andreas Viestad's program seen on Create and other food networks. Often times he'll travel around the region, and cook in various places.

No, I'm not standing on the edge of eternity, he can have that.

Wahbooz

Governor
And this is Tina Nordstrom. She's more on a ground level that makes me more comfortable.

I like roasting spices, like Cumin and Anise seeds, it brings out a different flavor to them. Often times I'll also roast cantaloupe seeds, or pumpkin seeds as an added flavor to salads. I save melon seeds all the time.

Last edited:

Wahbooz

Governor
A video recipe with Nick Stellino. I gotta tell you, the aroma of my kitchen, with the Garlic and Basil, is amazing. And as someone said here, cherry tomatoes in any dish is fantastic. Love that chef's coat too.

Pasta with Shrimp, Onions, Basil and Cherry Tomatoes.

Wahbooz

Governor
For those with southern taste buds, try Creole seasoning in some of your dishes. There are many blends of seasoning, Chef Kevin Belton at the New Orleans School of Cooking has his own. But try this recipe, make changes to it, add your favorites, then give it a taste. I mix it in a jar so I can shake the ingredients together well.

2 1/2 tbsp Paprika

2 tbsp salt (I use sea salt)

2 tbsp Garlic powder

1 tbsp Black Pepper (or White pepper if you prefer. In fact a blend of White and Black pepper adds another level of taste.

1 tbsp Onion powder

1 tbsp Cayenne Pepper

1 tbsp dry Oregano

1 tbsp dry Thyme

Wahbooz

Governor
I lived in Austin for years and used to go to San Antonio for the festivals. The street vendors used to sell Sausage wrapped by a tortilla shell and they were just great. I have tried to recreate the taste and just can't do it. Do you know what sausage they use in these?

Don's sub shop off Santa Clara Campus had great Cheese Steak Sandwiches. Are you a Gael?
There's a variety of sausages used, so my guess could be off. If it's a spicy wrap it may be Chorizo.

EatTheRich

President
Grains I eat a lot of: whole wheat bread (plain or with margarine, butter, jelly, jam, sandwiches such as peanut butter, cheese, turkey, or roast beef), whole wheat toast (plain with margarine or butter), white rice (unseasoned and unaccompanied or with soy sauce and maybe peas, carrots, etc.), Triscuits.

Grains I seldom eat but really like when I do: oatmeal (unsweetened or with brown sugar), quinoa, couscous, grits (plain cooked in lard or butter or with butter, milk, cheese). Pasta (especially spaghetti with tomato/beef sauce or elbow macaroni and cheese, but I also like linguine, cream sauce, vegetable sauce, etc. Bamboo shoots. Potato bread. Sourdough bread. Baguettes. Garlic bread. Cinnamon toast. Rice cakes (plain). Corn (on the cob with butter, chips). Barley (usually if someone else makes it with soup). Saltines, rye crackers, Graham crackers. Naan. Waffles.

Grains I avoid: rye bread, sliced white bread, Goldfish crackers, bread with cheese baked in. Pancakes.

Vegetables I eat a lot of: spinach, cabbage (red, green, etc.), potatoes (chips, fries with ketchup or mayo, baked with butter or cottage cheese, less often mashed potatoes with brown turkey gravy or hash browns with brown gravy, ketchup, or red Tabasco), carrots (raw or roasted), beans (pinto, Navy, Black, kidney, red, refried, baked, I like chili with red and kidney beans, beef, cumin, stewed tomatoes, onion powder, red Tabasco, jalapeños, corn, plus whatever else).

Vegetables I eat less often but enjoy when I do eat them: beet greens, asparagus, turnips (roasted or deep fried to make chips), jalapeños (in meals or fried in butter or lard), peas (sweet, snow, sugar snap), Brussels sprouts (steamed or fried in corn oil or sautéed in butter), rutabaga (roasted), collard greens, chard, leeks (in potato and leek soup).

Vegetables I can take or leave: yellow and white onions, Bell peppers (all must be sautéed or fried), okra.

Vegetables I avoid: green bell peppers, Lima beans (liked them as a kid but not now), red or green onions, raw onions, squash, zucchini, pumpkin, yam, sweet potato, eggplant, sauerkraut, kimchi.

Mushrooms: don’t eat a lot of them but do enjoy the button mushrooms, portobellos, I love chanterelles but rarely come across them (either the store has to have it at a decent price or friends who know mushrooms have to pick them). Cremini are OK but nothing special. Can’t stand shiitakes and only tolerate maitake. I love a mushroom dip made by stirring a bunch of mushrooms together with some egg over low heat until it turns into a dip.

Last edited:

EatTheRich

President
Eggs: hardly ever met an egg I didn’t like. Fried soft, poached, soft-boiled, hard-boiled (in salad for example), scrambled (with milk or Worcestershire sauce, maybe some red Tabasco) with ketchup on top, shirred (baked with vegetables). When we had chickens we ended up eating a lot of tortes with lots of butter and sugar and cream. Not really into omelettes, once in a while I’ll do it with krab or ham, maybe some mushrooms. Not a fan of cooking it but occasionally I will buy a quiche, ham, jalapeños, and mushrooms are some of my favorite things to find within.

Condiments, seasonings, and garnishes: pepper on almost anything. Hot sauce (red Tabasco for cooking, Cholula for seasoning, less often Frank’s, Tapatio, or sriracha) on lots of stuff including for example macaroni and cheese or quiche. I love parsley. Mustard (brown/spicy brown, horseradish, or yellow, less often Dijon). Horseradish on steak, less often A1. Aioli is good on sandwiches. Capers on fish. I love cumin and thyme, rosemary can be very good like with meat. I use turmeric, oregano, clove, and cinnamon more sparingly, MSG on occasion, basil in a few things but I find it a bit strong, I like mint when I have it but rarely do, same with paprika and peppermint. Garlic is good with most things, also got to have your garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder. Brown sugar is a good flavor. Coconut is great as a flavor or to eat or do anything else with. Lime juice, lemon juice, occasionally I will also eat them raw.

Junk/convenience food I eat a lot: gingerbread cookies, rice cakes, chocolate chip cookies, protein bars, protein shakes, saltines.

Junk food I eat less often but really like: black licorice, cinnamon bears, candy bars (5th Avenue, Butterfinger, Reese’s Pieces), Teddy Grahams, granola, biscuits, donuts (maple bars are good, lemon or raspberry filled maybe?), toffee, caramel (but toffee is better), [Unwelcome language removed].

Fruit/nuts I eat a lot: bananas, apples (Honey Crisp, Macintosh, Granmy Smith, Golden Delicious, leas often something else like a Braeburn or Opal), peanuts, sunflower seeds, peanut butter, tomatoes (beefsteaks raw or Roma or beefsteak in food).

Fruit/nuts I eat less of, but really like when I have them: almonds, cashews, pistachios, pecans, walnuts (almost never get to have them), apple butter, plums, peaches, nectarines, oranges, tangerines, black olives, cucumber, limes, lemons, kiwi, lychee, hemp seeds, raspberries, pumpkin seeds, strawberries.

Fruit/nuts I can take or leave: Brazil nuts, macadamia nuts, papaya, star fruit, guava, huckleberries.

Fruit/nuts I avoid: pineapple, mango, blueberries.

Vinegar: probably white wine or red wine. I avoid it as much as I can. I like pickled herring but nothing else pickled.

Cooking fat: much prefer olive oil for most things, Canola oil and peanut oil are good for some things, use a lot of corn oil to save money. Butter is great, lard is good for some things.

Salt: enough salt to cook stuff without a bunch extra. MSG is perfect for some stuff. I do like salty snacks (salted nuts, saltines, etc.) and salty fish.

Last edited:

EatTheRich

President
Meat I eat a lot of: top round, sirloin, flank steak (all rare), chuck steak (in stew), chicken wings, trout (rainbow preferred, brook trout also good, eat a lot of cutthroat, love steelhead but rarely get to have it), salmon (usually Alaskan or Pacific salmon), halibut, roast turkey (white meat please). When I have fish it is usually baked, sometimes fried without extra fat or in lemon juice, rarely breaded in corn meal or flour and fried in oil or butter, or smoked.

Meat I eat less but really like when I have it: hamburgers (medium) with American cheese and brown or yellow mustard, turkey loaf, roast beef, krab, crab, lobster, eel (at sushi restaurants), oysters, clams, scallops, shrimp (much prefer the jumbo prawns or maybe shrimp scampi), lamb, alligator, heart meat, brain (only had it once in a restaurant that isn’t allowed to serve it any more), rattlesnake (only had it once but I remember it being quite good), pheasant, grouse, baked chicken, fried chicken (much prefer white meat), bacon (softer and leaner than most people like it), shark, octopus, squid, el, hard salami, summer sausage, Polish sausage, hot dogs (well done on the grill with yellow mustard, diced tomatoes, and jalapenos). Shish kebab with steak (or lamb, hell, if I have money to burn), mushrooms, bell peppers, tomatoes, maybe some onion?

Meat I can take or leave: pork chops, ham, ribs, pollock, cod, deer (besides the heart which is great), Buffalo (common in restaurants and butcher shops here, I can’t distinguish it from beef especially since I go for lean beef anyway, it is healthier than beef but too expensive to mess with if it doesn’t taste a damn lot better), pastrami.

Meat I avoid: T-bones, ribeyes, overcooked beef, link sausage (used to like it), corned beef, cotto salami, Spam, duck, antelope, snails, Vienna sausages.

Dairy I like: Cheddar cheese, cottage cheese (large curd), Muenster cheese, Mahon, Colby jack, Monterey Jack, Brie, milk (2%, don’t drink nearly as much as I used to. I would drink a ton of soy milk if not for the price, same goes for almond and hemp milk). Mozzarella. Parmesan (on pasta). Provolone. Yogurt (Greek yogurt is good, should be sweet with some flavor such as raspberry, lemon, or strawberry). Ice cream (vanilla, chocolate, black licorice, occasionally butterscotch). Dairy Queen chocolate chip shakes. Best nachos ever (put jalapeños, black olives, and if you are really ambitious some ground beef or avocado on corn chips, top with grated cheddar cheese, and melt in the microwave).

Dairy I avoid: sour cream (except in guacamole or maybe a chili, casserole, etc., but never as a food topping), cream cheese, Gorgonzola, feta, Swiss cheese.

Restaurants: we have an amazing sandwich shop here in town, and a couple others that are good. For fast food it is mostly Subway (right by my house), Taco Bell, Taco del Sol, Taco Treat, Vietnam Noodle, or Jimmy John’s. I am a big fan of Indian food and like a lot of French food. I love sushi/sashimi (eel, yellowtail, mackerel, occasionally squid). I have found a few things (hot and sour soup, egg rolls, and chop suey) I like at Chinese places but I don’t like American Chinese food as much as most people do. Barbecue is good and we used to have a really good Cajun/creole place. We have one very affordable local pizza place that makes great pizza (thin crust, greasy with plenty of cheese) and has lots of choices for toppings. I usually go for pepperoni, sometimes sliced tomatoes, jalapeños, mushrooms, or black olives. Other toppings I have liked on pizza were Brussels sprouts, anchovies, hamburger, potato slices, and pears. Please do not put pineapple, Canadian bacon, green peppers, or onions on mine. They can have some crushed red pepper and a hint of oregano, but not have a bunch of oregano or basil. Stuffed crust pizza is gross.

When the fair comes to town (now that they have free admission): corn dogs, lefse, and Indian tacos every day! Except I got so sick after one day at the fair last year I wasn’t able to go back.

Last edited:

Wahbooz

Governor
Grains I eat a lot of: whole wheat bread (plain or with margarine, butter, jelly, jam, sandwiches such as peanut butter, cheese, turkey, or roast beef), whole wheat toast (plain with margarine or butter), white rice (unseasoned and unaccompanied or with soy sauce and maybe peas, carrots, etc.), Triscuits.

Grains I seldom eat but really like when I do: oatmeal (unsweetened or with brown sugar), quinoa, couscous, grits (plain cooked in lard or butter or with butter, milk, cheese). Pasta (especially spaghetti with tomato/beef sauce or elbow macaroni and cheese, but I also like linguine, cream sauce, vegetable sauce, etc. Bamboo shoots. Potato bread. Sourdough bread. Baguettes. Garlic bread. Cinnamon toast. Rice cakes (plain). Corn (on the cob with butter, chips). Barley (usually if someone else makes it with soup). Saltines, rye crackers, Graham crackers. Naan. Waffles.

Grains I avoid: rye bread, sliced white bread, Goldfish crackers, bread with cheese baked in. Pancakes.

Vegetables I eat a lot of: spinach, cabbage (red, green, etc.), potatoes (chips, fries with ketchup or mayo, baked with butter or cottage cheese, less often mashed potatoes with brown turkey gravy or hash browns with brown gravy, ketchup, or red Tabasco), carrots (raw or roasted), beans (pinto, Navy, Black, kidney, red, refried, baked, I like chili with red and kidney beans, beef, cumin, stewed tomatoes, onion powder, red Tabasco, jalapeños, corn, plus whatever else).

Vegetables I eat less often but enjoy when I do eat them: beet greens, asparagus, turnips (roasted or deep fried to make chips), jalapeños (in meals or fried in butter or lard), peas (sweet, snow, sugar snap), Brussels sprouts (steamed or fried in corn oil or sautéed in butter), rutabaga (roasted), collard greens, chard, leeks (in potato and leek soup).

Vegetables I can take or leave: yellow and white onions, Bell peppers (all must be sautéed or fried), okra.

Vegetables I avoid: green bell peppers, Lima beans (liked them as a kid but not now), red or green onions, raw onions, squash, zucchini, pumpkin, yam, sweet potato, eggplant, sauerkraut, kimchi.

Mushrooms: don’t eat a lot of them but do enjoy the button mushrooms, portobellos, I love chanterelles but rarely come across them (either the store has to have it at a decent price or friends who know mushrooms have to pick them). Cremini are OK but nothing special. Can’t stand shiitakes and only tolerate maitake. I love a mushroom dip made by stirring a bunch of mushrooms together with some egg over low heat until it turns into a dip.

Well Portobello is the mature version of Cremini, much dryer and the flavor is more enhanced that way. Portobello can be grilled to make a vegetarian burger.

I love Creminis in a pasta sauce and omelets.

I love mushrooms, but not a big fan of okra unless it's deep fried. Too stringy for me.

Bronwyn

Unapoligetically Republican
Ok. Let's start.
Mushrooms. All types. ALL are good raw. Some are better sautéed. Needed to add a 'deepening' or "umami' flavoring to many dishes. Can NEVER have enough layers to dishes.
Onions. Different onions add different spice or sweet. Green, leek, shallot, yellow, brown, red. All can add "high" or "low" flavors.
Garlic. Almost a must for most dishes. Sliced, minced, crushed. Fresh vs jarred. White, Yellow or Black.
Chile Peppers. I'm going to have to get back to you. The combinations are astronomical!
Heat or sweet. I can dish them all out.
Hot mama's or make your tongue dance for more.