• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Texas state-sponsored racism on full display

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Gerrymandering itself is not necessarily constitutional. It's been practiced by every political part with the power to do it since Edmund Gerry's name was attached to it more than 200 years ago.
I have looked at a number of methods for setting district boundaries and have yet to see one that I thought was actually not meant to guarantee a party victory.

Spamature

President
Gerrymandering itself is not necessarily constitutional. It's been practiced by every political part with the power to do it since Edmund Gerry's name was attached to it more than 200 years ago.
But racial gerrymandering is unconstitutional

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Of course it's meant to guarantee party victory -- it's a political process.
The point of redistricting is to evenly distribute voters. It would be nice if the boundaries were not being drawn for political advantage. I wish I could think of a way to do that.

Spamature

President
I don't recall saying it did.
No, you just tried to equivocate between the Dems doing something that was later found to be unconstitutional with the Republicans knowing going in that what they were doing was unconstitutional, and they still did it anyway.

God of War

Governor
It is bad enough that they cheat, but to add in a racist twist like this is DEPLORABLE !
Minorities made up 95% of Texas population gains. Yet now they have less power in deciding the outcome of elections through voting.

New Texas Republican map carves Jackson Lee district and cuts off Black constituents
By Colby Itkowitz
Yesterday at 8:00 p.m. EDT

A new Texas congressional map shreds the Houston-based legislative district of Democratic Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, siphoning off thousands of her Black constituents and potentially forcing her into a primary against her neighboring Black incumbent, Rep. Al Green (D).

Critics of the new plan say it’s a racial gerrymander intended to weaken Black voices in Congress, even as it protects other incumbents.
Jackson Lee, 71, is the second-longest-serving member in the Texas delegation, having represented the state’s 18th District for nearly three decades. Since it was won by Barbara Jordan in 1972, the first Black woman to represent the state, the boundaries have largely remained the same.
But now, Texas Republicans in charge of redistricting have advanced a map that would remove downtown Houston, with Jackson Lee’s main district office, two universities and the predominantly Black Third Ward neighborhood, long considered the center of Black life in Houston, from the 18th District.

One person one vote. Enough with carving out districts that give a race a representative. That's absurd. There's only one race. The human race. Right? Besides Hispanics are taking the black representation and everybody knows it.

Spamature

President
One person one vote. Enough with carving out districts that give a race a representative. That's absurd. There's only one race. The human race. Right? Besides Hispanics are taking the black representation and everybody knows it.
So if it was not a big deal then why didn't the minorities get the new district that would represent their increase in population. But instead the new districts favor the group whose population shrank as a percentage of the votes.

The Tx GOP carved out that map NOT Hispanics. You're trying to blame this on them ?
Your wingers steal power from them, then you say it shouldn't matter that they did.

Deplorable !

God of War

Governor
So if it was not a big deal then why didn't the minorities get the new district that would represent their increase in population. But instead the new districts favor the group whose population shrank as a percentage of the votes.

The Tx GOP carved out that map NOT Hispanics. You're trying to blame this on them ?
Your wingers steal power from them, then you say it shouldn't matter that they did.

Deplorable !
Us Hispanics are taking over and once secure we'll be conservatives just like God intended us to be. ha ha

PNWest

America's BEST American: Impartial and Bipartisan

Deplorable !

You know you can't spell RACISM without the (R). It's like trying to spell HATRED without the RED HAT.

God of War

Governor
The Texas GOP is pulling every stunt in the book to weaken minority voting rights.
Like what?
They are emboldened by a series of cases by the illegally stacked SCOTUS.
Which cases are those?

The SCOTUS wingers have weakened minority voting rights at every turn. And other states are following their path.
I didn't know SCOTUS was a state? Like a state of mind? Which states are those and how are they doing this "weakening"? Laws? Prove it. Which laws.

So deplorable.
How is it deplorable? Prove it.

write on

Senator
I agree, that's why SCOTUS ordered the Democrats to stop doing it.
We're about to find out how far right the SCOTUS is.

Let's not make any mistake.

The fascists haven't wasted any time since trump was installed.