• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

The PERFECT GOP Ticket....

Dave

Council Member
I think you are right, that would be a strong group. Romney and Perry would be a strange couple, in my opinion. Cain is being talked a lot about today.

Dave

Council Member
Doesn't that mean Romney must endorse 9-9-9? Or that Cain will have to "water it down" for Mitt?
I could see them trying to water it down to a 25% flat tax or something, or at least seeing if Congress would even lift their heads.

GordonGecko

President
I could see them trying to water it down to a 25% flat tax or something, or at least seeing if Congress would even lift their heads.
Somebody has to surrender something under a Romney/Cain ticket. My bet would be Cain, easily. BTW, Flat Tax is a sure way to insure the poor and middle class get burdened with the majority of the tax burden...a simple stroke of the pen can turn "income" into "business expenses" for the Wealthy or a few electrons across a fiber optics line can move income to the Caymans. ((Happy to discuss that more on a separate thread).

Cain as Veep?...9-9-9 would get so watered down as to be non-existant. Ergo...why would Romney need Cain...except for racial purposes?

GordonGecko

President
None of the POTUS candidates will be the GOP VP nominee.
Typically a good bet. Biden was in in 2008, but got Veep. Cheney was never a candidate for Prez, but got Veep. Jack Kemp didn't run in 1996 and Gore though he had run in 1988 (with Rick Perry as his manager)...wasn't in 1992.

Cicero

Mayor
Nerobama? Bwahahahaha! Good God; I think we need to start a naming contest!

I used to call him Slick Barry; but then it became obvious that the man was much more of a Jimmy Carter type than a Bill Clinton sharpie.

aureole

Council Member
it might come off as a stunt

much as the selection of Palin was.

however, i cannot see cain at the top of the ticket. he's a guy who has never won an election, anywhere, for anything. it would seem rash to place all your eggs in that basket.

i think someone who "dropped early" might have a better shot. Pawlenty more than huntsman. christie has already said he's not interested. Bachman would probably accept anything.

VP is the sort of role where you can hurt but not help. Biden didn't bring any mojo to the obama ticket. delaware has only trivial electoral votes, which obama was going to win anyway. and biden didn't even win the delaware primary earlier in the year.

republicans and democrats are both advised to either pick strong, national names that can "inherit" the white house after two terms, or a running mate from a swing state with lots of electoral votes.

no more quayles, palins, agnews, shrivers, or mondales, please. real candidates only should apply.

GordonGecko

President
much as the selection of Palin was.

however, i cannot see cain at the top of the ticket. he's a guy who has never won an election, anywhere, for anything. it would seem rash to place all your eggs in that basket.

i think someone who "dropped early" might have a better shot. Pawlenty more than huntsman. christie has already said he's not interested. Bachman would probably accept anything.

VP is the sort of role where you can hurt but not help. Biden didn't bring any mojo to the obama ticket. delaware has only trivial electoral votes, which obama was going to win anyway. and biden didn't even win the delaware primary earlier in the year.

republicans and democrats are both advised to either pick strong, national names that can "inherit" the white house after two terms, or a running mate from a swing state with lots of electoral votes.

no more quayles, palins, agnews, shrivers, or mondales, please. real candidates only should apply.
Another good point, BA....you're right. It would seem "stunt-like" especially since the GOP made such loud noises about "Dems supporting a black guy because he is black, but he has no experience" in 2008...

then they pick Herman Cain to be a heartbeat away from the Oval Office in 2012?!?!!?

Plus Cain, like Palin, has a BAD tendencies towards gaffes...which would only enhance the effect.

aureole

Council Member
i highly endorse the rubio concept

this is a guy who understands economics, and might represent the "new face" of conservativism . . . ethnic diversity, strong family values, human rights defender, and can play in the "walmart republican" game. he brings much more to the party than a palin or bachman. i'd pick condi rice over palin or bachman, for that matter

aureole

Council Member
i dont see voters signing up for

a wholesale rewriting of the tax code as part of the campaign platform.

its about jobs, and deficits. improving transparency and fairness are great to have, but not job 1. this is second term stuff.

GordonGecko

President
this is a guy who understands economics, and might represent the "new face" of conservativism . . . ethnic diversity, strong family values, human rights defender, and can play in the "walmart republican" game. he brings much more to the party than a palin or bachman. i'd pick condi rice over palin or bachman, for that matter
But again, brings up hypocrisy from Republican attacks in 2008....since Rubio has been in the Senate exactly as long as the President was in 2012.

aureole

Council Member
cain deserves SOME role

at the cabinet level, on the force of his intelligence and ideas. But this is 2011, not 1911. the era of national leaders who materialized out of nowhere, with no experience has passed.

ambitions by corporate execs, such as lee ioccoca, were never realistic.

politics is about compromise. being a CEO is about laying down the law.

reagan succeeded because he had a good grounding in the politics of compromise while governor of california.

in contrast, obama served 1/3 of a term as a senator, where he accomplished nothing, and a decade as a community organizer, where he simply preached to the choir. is it any wonder that he has been singularly unable to compromise with anyone - either republican or in his own party? he lacks both the temperament and experience for it.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
"a running mate from a swing state with lots of electoral votes."

That knocks Pawlenty out of the running for VP. McCain wanted to pick Tom Ridge from PA. I think that would've been an excellent choice.