• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

The real problem with the media

It's capitalism, duh!

The pursuit of profits has lowered the quality to an unacceptable level. The media frames everything that is palatable to the masses. There is nuance or shades of gray any more. Everything is simple, black and white, good and evil. You might as well turn politics into the plot of professional wrestling. We would all tune to a steel cage match between Biden and Trump.

Secondly the the pursuit of profits is cheapening the service. I think we all agree Woodward and Bernstein did some find journalism with the Pentagon Papers. But think about how costly that would be a media company today, sending a couple journalists to clandestine parking garages. The lawyer bills would be outrageous. It is far more cost effective to have a snarky twenty-something sit in front of their Twitter feed and churn out 1 paragraph articles like "Elon Musk used poop emoji" or "Fiona Hill says Putin smells bad". Journalism is now quantity over quality.
I am not saying a government ran media would be better, but capitalism is also ruining the media.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
It's capitalism, duh!

The pursuit of profits has lowered the quality to an unacceptable level. The media frames everything that is palatable to the masses. There is nuance or shades of gray any more. Everything is simple, black and white, good and evil. You might as well turn politics into the plot of professional wrestling. We would all tune to a steel cage match between Biden and Trump.

Secondly the the pursuit of profits is cheapening the service. I think we all agree Woodward and Bernstein did some find journalism with the Pentagon Papers. But think about how costly that would be a media company today, sending a couple journalists to clandestine parking garages. The lawyer bills would be outrageous. It is far more cost effective to have a snarky twenty-something sit in front of their Twitter feed and churn out 1 paragraph articles like "Elon Musk used poop emoji" or "Fiona Hill says Putin smells bad". Journalism is now quantity over quality.
I am not saying a government ran media would be better, but capitalism is also ruining the media.
Who started a business not for profit____________go

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
It's capitalism, duh!

I agree. Those coupled with the best PR seem to be the most successful. It's nothing to brag about, it's just the way it seems to work these days.

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Great quotes by Pulitzer...
“Our Republic and its press will rise or fall together," Pulitzer wrote. "An able, disinterested, public-spirited press, with trained intelligence to know the right and courage to do it, can preserve that public virtue without which popular government is a sham and a mockery. A cynical, mercenary, demagogic press will produce in time a people as base as itself. The power to mould the future of the Republic will be in the hands of the journalists of future generations.

“Put it before them briefly so they will read it, clearly so they will appreciate it, picturesquely so they will remember it, and above all, accurately so they will be guided by its light.”
― Joseph Pulitzer