• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

The SCOTUS should recall that Congress already found that Trump incited an insurrection

Raoul_Luke

I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.
Trump was. He was charged with inciting an insurrection by the House when he was impeached for the second time. BTW, a majority of the Senate (57 senators) also concluded that he incited an insurrection.

But you don’t care, amirite?
Refresh my memory - was he convicted?

Raoul_Luke

Trump was. He was charged with inciting an insurrection by the House when he was impeached for the second time. BTW, a majority of the Senate (57 senators) also concluded that he incited an insurrection.

But you don’t care, amirite?
How could he be charged with "insurrection" if nobody else was, you know, charged with insurrection? Was it a one man coup?

EatTheRich

President
How could he be charged with "insurrection" if nobody else was, you know, charged with insurrection? Was it a one man coup?
Was the Civil War an insurrection or rebellion? Were any of the Confederates who were disqualified from office for participating charged with insurrection or rebellion?

Bugsy McGurk

President
Refresh my memory - was he convicted?
Your claim above was that he was not charged with insurrection. That’s false, as I schooled you.

So, now you’re moving the goal posts asking whether he was convicted by the Senate. Of course not. Only 7 senators had the integrity (and guts) to vote to convict Trump on impeachment. If he was convicted on impeachment he would have been banned from holding office again and Section 3 would not even be an issue. But Section 3 is an issue and we know that a majority of both Houses of Congress concluded that he incited the insurrection. Which he obviously did - we all saw it on TV. A clearer case of insurrection cannot be imagined.

Raoul_Luke

How many of the oathkeepers and proud boys were convicted of sedition?
Only a few. Sedition is not "insurrection." It is an attempt to potentially incite activities that could lead to one. If there had been an actual insurrection, then you would have a case.

Raoul_Luke

Your claim above was that he was not charged with insurrection. That’s false, as I schooled you.

So, now you’re moving the goal posts asking whether he was convicted by the Senate. Of course not. Only 7 senators had the integrity (and guts) to vote to convict Trump on impeachment. If he was convicted on impeachment he would have been banned from holding office again and Section 3 would not even be an issue. But Section 3 is an issue and we know that a majority of both Houses of Congress concluded that he incited the insurrection. Which he obviously did - we all saw it on TV. A clearer case of insurrection cannot be imagined.
I meant by an actual court of law. The idea that an "impeachment" (which is a political process and not a criminal one) is the equivalent of a court proceeding is absurd!

Raoul_Luke

Then surely his "co-conspirators" have also been charged with "insurrection." Care to provide the list?

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Only a few. Sedition is not "insurrection." It is an attempt to potentially incite activities that could lead to one. If there had been an actual insurrection, then you would have a case.
How many times do I have to give you the relevant definition of sedition? It was unsuccessful

Guess what the definition of Sedition is....

incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority
Sedition Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

Insurrection: an act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government

Are you actually saying the riot was not an instance of revolting against civil authority and was not motivated by an attempt to circumvent the constitutional process of counting electors and declaring a winner of the election?

Last edited:

middleview

President
Supporting Member
How many times do I have to give you the relevant definition of sedition? It was unsuccessful.

So far the only argument you seem to have that it wasn't an insurrection is that you want to help make Trump look better...he called the mob to DC...he sent them to the Capitol to fight like hell...he told them Pence had betrayed them and then sat back and watched as the count of electors was stopped....meanwhile his illegal electors are attempting to place the ones legally elected.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
That’s likely. They will probably say only Congress can enforce Section 3. Even though it does not say that.
As I posted before...the amendment does not say someone cannot run...so if they run and win then it would be up to congress to allow the candidate to take office with a 2/3rds vote.

Raoul_Luke

How many times do I have to give you the relevant definition of sedition? It was unsuccessful.

So far the only argument you seem to have that it wasn't an insurrection is that you want to help make Trump look better...he called the mob to DC...he sent them to the Capitol to fight like hell...he told them Pence had betrayed them and then sat back and watched as the count of electors was stopped....meanwhile his illegal electors are attempting to place the ones legally elected.
You keep citing the definition of "sedition" and say it is "proof" of "insurrection. That, of course, is absurd. They are not the same thing.

As the founder and leader of the group, former Montana attorney Stewart Rhodes was convicted of seditious conspiracy. Concerning the criminal proceedings against Rhodes, the Department of Justice (DOJ) proved that he conspired to “oppose by force the execution of the laws governing the transfer of presidential power by Jan. 20, 2021."

The DOJ also pointed to the following as indications of Rhodes' conspiracy:

• Since early 2020, he and group members chatted by encrypted platforms about traveling to the Capitol to engage in the activities on January 6, 2021.
  • In these messages, members of the group discussed bringing weapons to attack the Capitol while they also discussed and planned violence against various public officials.
At the same time, attention has been drawn to how Rhodes called upon former President Donald Trump to invoke the Insurrection Act. It has also come out that the former lawyer also threatened to hang Speaker of the United States House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi.

Do you have any proof that Trump participated in those activities? Nah, you demand "proof" from everyone else but you are (obviously) exempt from this requirement. So you have no proof that Trump participated in the "seditious conspiracy" surrounding the events of January 6, but that doesn't stop you from asserting that he is guilty of participating in a (non-existent) "insurrection." Yer a hoot...

Raoul_Luke

How many times do I have to give you the relevant definition of sedition? It was unsuccessful

Insurrection: an act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government

Are you actually saying the riot was not an instance of revolting against civil authority and was not motivated by an attempt to circumvent the constitutional process of counting electors and declaring a winner of the election?
It's pretty hard to "revolt" against anything with pepper spray and hocky sticks...