• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

the strangeness of Romney

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member

GordonGecko

President
He's got some little "oddities" to him. One that surprised me was how easily angered he gets when confronted by even FRIENDLY Media, like Bret Baier on Fox.

Second is his tone-deafness...."Corporations are people" and buying the sign behind the New Years Eve ball in Times Square, which at first seems like "a good idea"....until you realize that after the first 30 seconds, it just pisses people off.

Minotaur

Governor
It is a discomfort in his own skin. It comes across as disingenuous - and may be. Having lived in Utah, I call that the Mormon body language. Many there have that and you never know what they are feeling or thinking. Just another day in Utah. If you notice even Jon Huntsman who is laid back has a stiffness as well...just not as bad.

Bo-4

Senator
It is a discomfort in his own skin. It comes across as disingenuous - and may be. Having lived in Utah, I call that the Mormon body language. Many there have that and you never know what they are feeling or thinking. Just another day in Utah. If you notice even Jon Huntsman who is laid back has a stiffness as well...just not as bad.
Very astute Mare. I used to go SLC for business a lot. I avoid it like the plague now having discovered that in addition to the stiffness, they don't buy much of anything from anyone who isn't also a Mormon.

Minotaur

Governor
Very astute Mare. I used to go SLC for business a lot. I avoid it like the plague now having discovered that in addition to the stiffness, they don't buy much of anything from anyone who isn't also a Mormon.
I call that sales thingy the one finger salute. When you watch ad's in Utah, the advertisers can sometimes be seen giving the one finger salute to inform them that he is Mormon and safe for buying from. It looks like "We're number one" but it is used in a odd way - almost as an exclamation point or hammer held up too long or bobbed up and down while discussing product.

Next time you go to SLC and try to sell anything just keep the "We're number one" finger in the air...you'll sell off the hook! LOL

GordonGecko

President
Or they can convince themselves that "stiffing" or "pulling one over on" a non-Mormon is "no sin". Mind you, went to school with some who were so nice they farted rainbows and shat cotton candy.

Minotaur

Governor
Or they can convince themselves that "stiffing" or "pulling one over on" a non-Mormon is "no sin". Mind you, went to school with some who were so nice they farted rainbows and shat cotton candy.
When we first moved to Utah a Jack Mormon said we'd learn quickly that if a Mormon reaches out his right hand to shake our hand, we should place our left hand over our wallet. LOL

Bo-4

Senator
I call that sales thingy the one finger salute. When you watch ad's in Utah, the advertisers can sometimes be seen giving the one finger salute to inform them that he is Mormon and safe for buying from. It looks like "We're number one" but it is used in a odd way - almost as an exclamation point or hammer held up too long or bobbed up and down while discussing product.

Next time you go to SLC and try to sell anything just keep the "We're number one" finger in the air...you'll sell off the hook! LOL
Lol, that's funny. I may have to go down there soon to close a deal and will keep that in mind. I'll practice in the mirror so that it doesn't appear contrived and sport my best Osmond haircut. :D

Minotaur

Governor
Lol, that's funny. I may have to go down there soon to close a deal and will keep that in mind. I'll practice in the mirror so that it doesn't appear contrived and sport my best Osmond haircut. :D
I don't know what other symbolic gestures are involved when face to face so if you hold up your finger and they seem to be waiting for another sign, fake a seizure. You may just accidentally toss out the right 2nd sign, but if you don't the ambulance can get you the h*ll out of the sales meeting.

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
that's the problem. normally, good looks give a candidate an advantage, but with Romney's lack of personality, it doesn't.

Minotaur

Governor
that's the problem. normally, good looks give a candidate an advantage, but with Romney's lack of personality, it doesn't.
It has already been a problem I think. I saw one appearance where it looked like his handlers purposely tried to loosen up his look including a different hair style and rolled up sleeves and it did soften it a little but his default is still that stiff discomfort you see. It may not be an issue for republicans who would vote a carrot in over Obama but it could hurt him with less enthusiastic voters.