• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

The term 'African American' is what has brought much of this mess on.

Boltlady

Mayor
The whole idea of America is that we were destined to be a melting pot. We are supposed to be one. People are African OR American. The same sort of thing applies to dual citizenship.

How can people have true allegiance to a country when they are described as being in pieces?

Zam-Zam

Senator
The whole idea of America is that we were destined to be a melting pot. We are supposed to be one. People are African OR American. The same sort of thing applies to dual citizenship.

How can people have true allegiance to a country when they are described as being in pieces?

How do the Euro-Americans pull it off?

Boltlady

Mayor
How do the Euro-Americans pull it off?
They shouldn't.

During my long life I've always been aware of people celebrating their ethnicity with events and holidays. We still do a lot of that today and that's great because we all get to be one of the same for a day or so. We honor their particular ethnicity.

Our country should not be defined by ethnicity. So many people use the term 'African American' even though the country of Africa has a fairly healthy white population (millions actually). They don't get called African American when they move here.

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
We're all Africans.

The first humans emerged in Africa around two million years ago, long before the modern humans known as Cuomo sapiens appeared on the same continent.

Zam-Zam

Senator
They shouldn't.

During my long life I've always been aware of people celebrating their ethnicity with events and holidays. We still do a lot of that today and that's great because we all get to be one of the same for a day or so. We honor their particular ethnicity.

Our country should not be defined by ethnicity. So many people use the term 'African American' even though the country of Africa has a fairly healthy white population (millions actually). They don't get called African American when they move here.

There are people who describe themselves as Italian-Americans, or Irish-Americans, or Mexican-Americans, etc.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. To me it just means they are proud of there heritage.

As am I. I am an African-American, and I love this country as much as anyone could.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
They shouldn't.

Only you and Sarah Palin think Africa is a country.

middleview

President
Supporting Member

So you question the loyalty of Irish-Americans, Italian-Americans, German-Americans, Asian-Americans?

Japanese-Americans even volunteered to serve in our armed forces, in spite of their families being put in camps during WWII...

You should worry about those "americans" who followed Trump into the dark hole of the stolen election. They are the ones whose allegience is to an individual and not the nation.

Zam-Zam

Senator
They shouldn't.

There are also, I'm sure you are aware, black people living in Europe...Should they emigrate to the United States, I doubt that few would call those folks "Euro-Americans". Yet, they are.

This is all beside the point, however....It matters not what label other people may put on you, it only matters what you see yourself as. As for myself, I am comfortable with the idea of being an African-American, and am equally comfortable with the title American. You can call me whichever you like, or something else completely. Your label of choice does not define me.

And my label of choice, should I employ one, does not define you, in any way. You define you. No one else can, try as they might.

That being the case, I wouldn't get too hung up on the labels.

Just my two cents. If you see it differently, that's all well and good. No one here has a monopoly on virtue.

Perhaps the most important takeaway here might be tolerance. We all have our own viewpoints, and the true test of tolerance is whether or not we can tolerate a view other than our own. I may disagree with yours, and you with mine, but as long as we give each other mutual respect it's all okay.

Always a pleasure Boltlady. Have a wonderful day.

protectionist

Governor
We're all Africans.

The first humans emerged in Africa around two million years ago, long before the modern humans known as Cuomo sapiens appeared on the same continent.
That does not make us all Africans. The white race mutated from the black, with a different genetic code, and nobody born outside of Africa is an African.

protectionist

Governor
The expression African-American is a false term. Blacks in America, generally have no connection to Africa at all. They are Americans, although they have increasingly divorced themselves from American culture, by creating a seperate black culture, much to their own detriment.

The correct term for blacks in America is >> BLACKS.