• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

The worst thing about the GOP....

Boltlady

Mayor
Although I have every intention of voting for Ron Paul it won't be because he is a republican, it will be in spite of it. The very fact that the 'mainstream' doesn't like him is one of the things that makes him so appealing. He is not a lemming the way the rest of them are.

The repugnant thing about the GOP is the 'requirement' that everybody stay in lockstep. If the leader wants to go over that proverbial cliff, like it or not the rest are fully expected to follow or they will feel the wrath of the hierarchy. They all dutifully repeat their talking points without any interjection of their very own ideas. Compromise is only ever used if they are backed completely into a corner.

It's getting bad enough that so few people actually think anything through anymore, but it's as though so many republicans don't have to even bother. They just do as they're told.

Of course you then have the opposite problem with the democrats. They rarely seem to agree with each other on anything. They seem so intent on going off in their respective directions that it's hard for them to actually accomplish anything.

The absolute irony here is that they are simply opposite sides of the same coin. This guarantees that people will become involved with arguing with each other instead of recognizing the downward spiral that they're in. After a number of years in my life of being a democrat I came to see that both are bad news and am now independent.

GordonGecko

President
Bill Clinton said of the nominating process

"Democrats fall in love with a candidate....Republicans fall in line behind one." Pretty accurate, maybe excluding Reagan, look at HW Bush, Dole, Dubya in 2000, and McCain. Like Willy Loman, "liked, but not well liked".

ARMCX1

Mayor
Agree with you that the GOP/TP is too uniform and in group think mode while the Democrats are like a bunch of cats--good luck herding them all.

Not sure I totally buy into the two parties as opposite sides of the same coin. There seem very clear differences between the Democratic and GOP/TP on taxes, regulation, social safety net, etc, the differences between the two parties can't be obscured. The political diifferences between the Democrats and the Republicans has led to gridlock and dysfunctional national governance. 2012 will help to settle whether the Republican or Democratic vision is the direction the country should move.

Is your vote for Paul one of principle, protest or do you agree with most or all of Ron Paul's agenda? I admire Paul's political honesty but I think he's unelectable when his policies are scrutinized.

Alan

Council Member
Boltlady raises an interesting point, and it's way past time--as she has already aptly shared--that an honest, open interjection of ideas is healthy, something the Republicans may want to embrace without any further reservations.

MaryAnne

Governor
Although I have every intention of voting for Ron Paul it won't be because he is a republican, it will be in spite of it. The very fact that the 'mainstream' doesn't like him is one of the things that makes him so appealing. He is not a lemming the way the rest of them are.

The repugnant thing about the GOP is the 'requirement' that everybody stay in lockstep. If the leader wants to go over that proverbial cliff, like it or not the rest are fully expected to follow or they will feel the wrath of the hierarchy. They all dutifully repeat their talking points without any interjection of their very own ideas. Compromise is only ever used if they are backed completely into a corner.

It's getting bad enough that so few people actually think anything through anymore, but it's as though so many republicans don't have to even bother. They just do as they're told.

Of course you then have the opposite problem with the democrats. They rarely seem to agree with each other on anything. They seem so intent on going off in their respective directions that it's hard for them to actually accomplish anything.

The absolute irony here is that they are simply opposite sides of the same coin. This guarantees that people will become involved with arguing with each other instead of recognizing the downward spiral that they're in. After a number of years in my life of being a democrat I came to see that both are bad news and am now independent.
I have come to admire Buddy Roehmer.He has really good ideas and the Cons will not let him in the debates.

Check your email.

GordonGecko

President
If Ron Paul looks to actually threaten Romney in any meaningful way....they'll destroy him. The current use of his racist newsletter stuff on Fox will be small potatoes compared to the heavy guns they'll use to make sure he is gone by Super Tuesday.

Z

zzigzzag

"It's getting bad enough that so few people actually think anything through anymore, but it's as though so many republicans don't have to even bother. They just do as they're told.

Of course you then have the opposite problem with the democrats. They rarely seem to agree with each other on anything. They seem so intent on going off in their respective directions that it's hard for them to actually accomplish anything."

Yep. Couldn't help but think of Will Rogers: "I don't belong to any organized political party. I'm a Democrat."

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Knowing you for these many years, as I do, I think the Ron Paul camp is EXACTLY where you need to be.
Paul is a wormy, psychotic little gnome.

GordonGecko

President
Jack, Ron Paul is a Republican.....who wins his Congressional district over and over.

And since you believe "Democrats NEVER actually win elections, they always cheat"....how do you explain Ron winning???

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
ALERT Bullshit ALERT

Boltlady raises an interesting point, and it's way past time--as she has already aptly shared--that an honest, open interjection of ideas is healthy, something the Republicans may want to embrace without any further reservations.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Paul needs to check himself into a Home for the Silly.

If Ron Paul looks to actually threaten Romney in any meaningful way....they'll destroy him. The current use of his racist newsletter stuff on Fox will be small potatoes compared to the heavy guns they'll use to make sure he is gone by Super Tuesday.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Sometime back, the Texas State Legislature made a law requiring any and all clearly identifiable nutcase psychos to relocate to Paul's home district.

Jack, Ron Paul is a Republican.....who wins his Congressional district over and over.

And since you believe "Democrats NEVER actually win elections, they always cheat"....how do you explain Ron winning???

GordonGecko

President
I see you have NO explanation for it, Jack.

BTW, is it just because Paul doesn't want Orwellian "perpetual war" that you think he's "crazy"?

Bo-4

Senator
I see you have NO explanation for it, Jack.

BTW, is it just because Paul doesn't want Orwellian "perpetual war" that you think he's "crazy"?
I suspect that to be true Gord. It's his isolationist bent and not the small government one that has Jack in a tizz.

I wanna be a real cowboy like Shrubbie and Jack too.. head 'em up move em out drop the bombs.. Rawhide WOOHOOO!! ;-)

Senator? Damn.. congrats on that Prolific One! :D

Minotaur

Governor
Dear Botlady, welcome to the dark side. I was the first registered Independent in my family of democrats and republicans. They didn't notice a change. You don't grow flippy floppy horns for the decision. For me, it allowed be to participate in primaries unavailable to me as committed to a party in my state. In my life I have found I vote for the best candidate who has a chance of actually winning if stakes are high as in poor economy or during society's rotating social issue support or cRaZy everyone for themself moments. If it harms America and who we are as Americans I pick the candidate who stands for the America we are all proud of.

What that means is in my entire life there have always been reasons to commit to a candidate with a chance of winning (not necessarily the front runner) republican or democrat if they have something important to bring to the table. The proudest memory was when things were so great I had the luxury of actually voting for one Independent candidate. I'd do it again as it means something but it usually does mean something unfortunately. We are not often in positions where tossing a vote away is wise. When it can be done, it is a message more than an expectation of winning.

I think whoever you vote for or however you vote is all about how seriously you really take the time to make that vote count whether it is a vote for the best republican or democrat candidate based on those things that you feel is best for the country. It is only one vote but when thought goes into it, win or lose, it is a worthy vote.

You are not a sheep-le and that will be uncomfortable at times. ;-)

GordonGecko

President
I suspect that to be true Gord. It's his isolationist bent and not the small government one that has Jack in a tizz.

I wanna be a real cowboy like Shrubbie and Jack too.. head 'em up move em out drop the bombs.. Rawhide WOOHOOO!! ;-)

Senator? Damn.. congrats on that Prolific One! :D
I doubt it's the drug legalization thing.....and Jack would surely LOVE Ron's ideas of eliminating "5 Government agencies or departments" and "cutting a trillion dollars my first year in office"....

ergo the ONLY reason to call Ron Paul "crazy" is....he doesn't want endless war or mass genocide.