• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Today’s absurd SCOTUS winger opinion - school prayer edition

Bugsy McGurk

President
Address the issue repeatedly. You don't like it so you spend it in circles.

The coach is free to pray the school may not punish him for doing so
Sorry, but you just don’t get to make such decrees via fiat. Not honestly anyway. Candor would require that you explain yourself and your support for the SCOTUS con decision. I framed specific questions above for that purpose, but you criticized me for even asking the questions. So the discussion must end.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, but you just don’t get to make such decrees via fiat. Not honestly anyway. Candor would require that you explain yourself and your support for the SCOTUS con decision. I framed specific questions above for that purpose, but you criticized me for even asking the questions. So the discussion must end.
I made no decree by Fiat. I support the decision that people may not be punished for their expression of faith.

Bugsy McGurk

President
I made no decree by Fiat. I support the decision that people may not be punished for their expression of faith.
I know you support the decision. That is the one thing you make clear. What you refuse to do is address my questions to justify that support given the establishment clause. I don’t think it can be justified.

Joe in Tulsa

Council Member
I see you don’t recognize the authority of the Bible which commands Christians to do just that when praying. He was asked to do it in a more appropriate venue because students felt compelled to participate or be ostracized.
I obviously know more about Christianity than you do. He was asked to exercise his rights in what someone else considered a more appropriate venue because someone felt uncomfortable, correct? What if a certain person wanted to ride in the front of a bus, but it made other people uncomfortable? Should they shut up and do what they're told, or execise their rights, no matter how uncomfortable it makes some snowflake?

God of War

Governor
Again, supporters of prayer in a public school setting just don’t like the establishment clause of the 1st Amendment, so they ignore it. Reminds me of how gun nuts just don’t like the well regulated militia clause of the 2nd Amendment, so they ignore it. But candor requires that such all language be applied, not ignored.
One more time. The remedy is to give parents a voucher/stipend to take their child to the educational experience of their choice. Due process, equal protection, first amendment all demand it.

God of War

Governor
I see you don’t recognize the authority of the Bible which commands Christians to do just that when praying. He was asked to do it in a more appropriate venue because students felt compelled to participate or be ostracized.
Complete bullshit. But it is why parents should be given a voucher/stipend to take their child to the educational experience they prefer. They have right to exercise their beliefs as well.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
I know you support the decision. That is the one thing you make clear. What you refuse to do is address my questions to justify that support given the establishment clause. I don’t think it can be justified.
Good for you. I think the establishment clause has no bearing. It's a transient thing. Not a permanent introduction of a religious curriculum in a public school
Much like the Muslim who may wear her hijab in to a school. It is protected

Bugsy McGurk

President
Good for you. I think the establishment clause has no bearing. It's a transient thing. Not a permanent introduction of a religious curriculum in a public school
Much like the Muslim who may wear her hijab in to a school. It is protected
I know what your conclusion is. No need to repeat it. My questions ask you to support that conclusion. But you refuse to answer them.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
I know what your conclusion is. No need to repeat it. My questions ask you to support that conclusion. But you refuse to answer them.
No I keep stating it and you keep ignoring it. The Constitution guarantees it. The rights of the religious to express themselves are equal to the rights of everyone else. Equal to the rights of gay people to express themselves. Equal to the rights of lgbtq people to express themselves. Equal to the rights of Muslims to express themselves. And so on down the lane. Equal. You don't like it because you hate the religious apparently. Therefore you rail against it. Nothing more complicated than that

EatTheRich

President
No I keep stating it and you keep ignoring it. The Constitution guarantees it. The rights of the religious to express themselves are equal to the rights of everyone else. Equal to the rights of gay people to express themselves. Equal to the rights of lgbtq people to express themselves. Equal to the rights of Muslims to express themselves. And so on down the lane. Equal. You don't like it because you hate the religious apparently. Therefore you rail against it. Nothing more complicated than that
There is no morally or legally relevant difference between this coach “expressing himself” by leading students in socially encouraged prayer on the field, and teachers “expressing themselves” by leading students in socially encouraged prayer in the classroom. Which has long been recognized as an Establishment clause violation when it happens in a public school.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
There is no morally or legally relevant difference between this coach “expressing himself” by leading students in socially encouraged prayer on the field, and teachers “expressing themselves” by leading students in socially encouraged prayer in the classroom. Which has long been recognized as an Establishment clause violation when it happens in a public school.
There's no moral quandary... period

Bugsy McGurk

President
More of the same. And no answer to my questions. You have insisted that the discussion go round and round in pointless circles.

Bugsy McGurk

President
Precisely the point I made above, which was the subject of my questions, which were dodged. The dodging has to make us feel good about the soundness of our positions.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
More of the same. And no answer to my questions. You have insisted that the discussion go round and round in pointless circles.
No. My answers are there. The Constitution is upheld. Rights are equal to everyone else's and it includes the religious and their ability to express themselves. Everybody knows your stick when you have nowhere to turn you drive the conversation in circles then pretend it's everyone else.

Free expression thereof. Learn to live it and like it

Bugsy McGurk

President
No. My answers are there. The Constitution is upheld. Rights are equal to everyone else's and it includes the religious and their ability to express themselves. Everybody knows your stick when you have nowhere to turn you drive the conversation in circles then pretend it's everyone else.

Free expression thereof. Learn to live it and like it
Just more conclusions. And no answer to my questions.

Telling.