• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Uh oh! Masks don't work.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
And it's negligible, except for the N95s. The whole cloth mask zeitgeist was based on "my mask protects you, your mask protects me" and was in place until just a few weeks ago. Now that the "experts" have admitted that this was abject bullshit, cloth masks are (finally) deemed "ineffective" so we are making progress. Frankly, you don't need a medical degree to understand that any mask that protects others from you, also protects you from others. So wear one if you want, and stop hectoring others because they "refuse to protect you from their exhalations." Another factor is the virulence of Omicron - it is way less than previous variants, so it's time to let go of the masking requirement. Me going maskless may make you sick but it won't kill you, like we have tolerated as the price of socialization for 10,000 years. It's time we follow Great Britain's lead:

Boris Johnson confirms Plan B Covid measures will end on January 26 (msn.com)

Omicron Peaking wastewater - Bing News

All covid measures should end - and the sooner the better. It's time to start living normal lives again. You can keep wearing your N95 and face shield if you so choose, but leave the rest of us out of your paranoia.
Several studies have and continue to explore the efficacy of different kinds of masks, especially as the pandemic continues to evolve. Take this experiment researchers at Duke University conducted last year, testing different kinds of masks against each other to see which mask was the most effective in blocking respiratory droplets. Taking factors like correct fit and environmental variables into account, the N95 masks were the most effective in blocking droplets—99% to be exact. The next best mask? Surgical masks, followed by a double-layered, polypropylene-cotton mask (a.k.a., a cloth mask).

In one study, the researchers sought to determine whether alternatives to high-efficiency N95 masks reserved for health care workers could offer similar protection for hospital personnel in the event of shortages. They tested the filtration ability of expired N95 masks, N95 masks that had been sterilized for reuse, and dozens of other face mask alternatives. The results show that both expired N95 masks and sterilized N95 masks provided the same level of protection as new N95 masks with greater than 95 percent filtration. Other alternatives provided less protection. For example, surgical masks with ties provided 71.5 percent filtration, while surgical masks with ear loops only provided 38.1 percent. Knowing the relative performance of alternatives to new N95 masks will help hospital administrators make evidence-based decisions to protect their staff.

Raoul_Luke

I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.
Several studies have and continue to explore the efficacy of different kinds of masks, especially as the pandemic continues to evolve. Take this experiment researchers at Duke University conducted last year, testing different kinds of masks against each other to see which mask was the most effective in blocking respiratory droplets. Taking factors like correct fit and environmental variables into account, the N95 masks were the most effective in blocking droplets—99% to be exact. The next best mask? Surgical masks, followed by a double-layered, polypropylene-cotton mask (a.k.a., a cloth mask).

In one study, the researchers sought to determine whether alternatives to High-efficiency N95 masks reserved for health care workers could offer similar protection for hospital personnel in the event of shortages. They tested the filtration ability of expired N95 masks, N95 masks that had been sterilized for reuse, and dozens of other face mask alternatives. The results show that both expired N95 masks and sterilized N95 masks provided the same level of protection as new N95 masks with greater than 95 percent filtration. Other alternatives provided less protection. For example, surgical masks with ties provided 71.5 percent filtration, while surgical masks with ear loops only provided 38.1 percent. Knowing the relative performance of alternatives to new N95 masks will help hospital administrators make evidence-based decisions to protect their staff.

I'm not sure what relevance that has to our discussion. I'm not arguing that N95 masks, when worn correctly, are effective against airborne pathogens. What I am arguing is that they actually protect the wearer - which undermines the entire mask mandate narrative (that people need to be protected from others who may have the disease). The N95s protect the wearer, so the need for a mandate goes "poof." Wear your mask if you want to be protected, and let those who realize that it is inevitable one will get it, well, get on with it. The left's entire "zero covid" progrom has been exposed as simply an excuse to exert authoritarian control over the population (the non "elites" anyway). None of it worked, and it's time to admit that you were wrong, and that Sweden had the exact correct approach to the disease. As I pointed out, the Brits have decided to follow their lead, and we would be wise to follow their's.

Raoul_Luke

what sublime arrogance! You may make me sick...and that is ok with you. If you have omicron..and if you have delta?
You may also cause the death of someone compromised, like Colin Powell...and that is alse ok with you...cuz masks are a bother.
You are simply wrong here - "compromised" persons can get vaccinated and/or wear N95 masks. How would I cause their "death" if they are taking precautions themselves?

It is not "arrogant" to want to live a normal life. I won't make you sick if you wear your N95 mask and a face shield. "Arrogance" is suggesting you have the right to command the behavior of others because you fear getting sick from them exercising their Constitutional right to personal autonomy.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
You are simply wrong here - "compromised" persons can get vaccinated and/or wear N95 masks. How would I cause their "death" if they are taking precautions themselves?

It is not "arrogant" to want to live a normal life. I won't make you sick if you wear your N95 mask and a face shield. "Arrogance" is suggesting you have the right to command the behavior of others because you fear getting sick from them exercising their Constitutional right to personal autonomy.
Leftist Mormon newspaper want's Military to enslave un-vaxxed

Went through Salt Lake ONCE, couldn't smoke inside or in a car unless widows were up, no Playboy mags and liquor bottle had to be in a paper bag leather cases or such not allowed and all against the Law and didn't take me long to split from there.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
I'm not sure what relevance that has to our discussion. I'm not arguing that N95 masks, when worn correctly, are effective against airborne pathogens. What I am arguing is that they actually protect the wearer - which undermines the entire mask mandate narrative (that people need to be protected from others who may have the disease). The N95s protect the wearer, so the need for a mandate goes "poof." Wear your mask if you want to be protected, and let those who realize that it is inevitable one will get it, well, get on with it. The left's entire "zero covid" progrom has been exposed as simply an excuse to exert authoritarian control over the population (the non "elites" anyway). None of it worked, and it's time to admit that you were wrong, and that Sweden had the exact correct approach to the disease. As I pointed out, the Brits have decided to follow their lead, and we would be wise to follow their's.
You didn't read those links, did you. Surgical masks block up to 50%...if you're wearing a mask as well then a larger percentage is blocked...

Why don't you want to wear one? Just cuz. They are a hassle. Yup. Annoying, even.
Wanna know what is really annoying? Having to be intubated and being quarantined in the ICU, perhaps dying alone with only the company of a nurse or doctor.

The link I gave you showed that even cloth masks, if worn properly, do minimize the danger by about 25%....My preference is that everyone gets N95s....as we have done. We have bought them for our staff at the restaurant and will provide surgical masks to our customers. We will refuse service to anyone not masked, in spite of your whiny plea to be allowed to do as you please. As more and more companies act responsibly, you'll be limited in where you can go and what you can do.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Leftist Mormon newspaper want's Military to enslave un-vaxxed

Went through Salt Lake ONCE, couldn't smoke inside or in a car unless widows were up, no Playboy mags and liquor bottle had to be in a paper bag leather cases or such not allowed and all against the Law and didn't take me long to split from there.
Hmmm, hard core red state....imagine that.

middleview

President
Supporting Member

Compromised people can get vaccinated...and can still catch covid and die from being infected by people like you. You can cause the spread by not wearing a mask and coughing or sneezing, spreading covid over surfaces someone may touch. Even if masked they are now carrying the germ on their hands. Your cough may have been reduced by 50% with a surgical mask and 95% by an N95 mask...but you don't give a shit about anyone else. What is important is your imaginary constitutional right to spread disease.

Raoul_Luke

Compromised people can get vaccinated...and can still catch covid and die from being infected by people like you. You can cause the spread by not wearing a mask and coughing or sneezing, spreading covid over surfaces someone may touch. Even if masked they are now carrying the germ on their hands. Your cough may have been reduced by 50% with a surgical mask and 95% by an N95 mask...but you don't give a shit about anyone else. What is important is your imaginary constitutional right to spread disease.
And people like you as well:

Fauci: The vaccinated can be as infectious as the unvaccinated, so they need to wear masks indoors; pandemic will get worse – Kentucky Health News (uky.edu)

And also, as Fauci has pointed out:

Omicron variant will 'find just about everybody,' Fauci says, but vaccinated people will still fare better - CNN

So I'm just not convinced there is a good reason to wear a mask, certainly not more than I already do, as I have developed a chronic cough, even though I never smoked and have been a long distance runner for most of my life. I think I'm better off keeping myself healthy for the time that I will ("inevitably") contract the "novel" coronavirus. Let's face it, in times like this, it's "every man for himself," whether you approve or not.

Raoul_Luke

You didn't read those links, did you. Surgical masks block up to 50%...if you're wearing a mask as well then a larger percentage is blocked...

Why don't you want to wear one? Just cuz. They are a hassle. Yup. Annoying, even.
Wanna know what is really annoying? Having to be intubated and being quarantined in the ICU, perhaps dying alone with only the company of a nurse or doctor.

The link I gave you showed that even cloth masks, if worn properly, do minimize the danger by about 25%....My preference is that everyone gets N95s....as we have done. We have bought them for our staff at the restaurant and will provide surgical masks to our customers. We will refuse service to anyone not masked, in spite of your whiny plea to be allowed to do as you please. As more and more companies act responsibly, you'll be limited in where you can go and what you can do.
You know what? I happen to be an excellent cook. I am certain that the meals I make are superior to the fare in your restaurant. I don't need to eat out, but when I do, it is EXCLUSIVELY at restaurants that do not require masks. Masks are not just a "hassle," they do more harm than good (especially wrt children)..

I can accept you wearing your mask (and face shield), if it makes you feel "safe" - so why can't you accept me in my maskless bliss? Oh right, because you are an authoritarian prick.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
You know what? I happen to be an excellent cook. I am certain that the meals I make are superior to the fare in your restaurant. I don't need to eat out, but when I do, it is EXCLUSIVELY at restaurants that do not require masks. Masks are not just a "hassle," they do more harm than good (especially wrt children)..

I can accept you wearing your mask (and face shield), if it makes you feel "safe" - so why can't you accept me in my maskless bliss? Oh right, because you are an authoritarian prick.
And you refuse to mask because being an inconsiderate azzhole looks good on you.

Get used to eating at home
All restaurants here require masks. All restaurants near mine require masks and proof of vaccination.

Raoul_Luke

And you refuse to mask because being an inconsiderate azzhole looks good on you.

Get used to eating at home
All restaurants here require masks. All restaurants near mine require masks and proof of vaccination.
So your customers wear masks even while eating? Or does Covid generously refrain from being contagious when one is eating? LOL! I knew it was only a matter of time before you said something that makes your entire position on this matter look, well, stupid.

TBLee

Governor
So your customers wear masks even while eating? Or does Covid generously refrain from being contagious when one is eating? LOL! I knew it was only a matter of time before you said something that makes your entire position on this matter look, well, stupid.
Didn’t you know, once you are seated to partake in food and drink, there is all of the sudden a big forcefield surrounding you. LOL

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Our dining room is closed....pickup and delivery only. I guess that was too difficult for you to think of on your own. Now who looks stupid?

Rules there are to show vaccination records to allow dine in. I didn't want to put my employees through having to do that...so no dine in.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Our dining room is closed....pickup and delivery only. I guess that was too difficult for you to think of on your own. Now who looks stupid?

Rules there are to show vaccination records to allow dine in. I didn't want to put my employees through having to do that...so no dine in.
Whoosh...guess it was too high a bar for him..

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Whoosh...guess it was too High a bar for him..
Here in Denver there is a mask requirement, but nothing about vax records. We ate out on Saturday, wore a mask to the table. We were easily 10 feet from the nearest party of diners. Upscale place, nobody crapping on the servers for having to wear a mask to be seated.

When this latest surge started our employees had not been masked for a bit. Suddenly we have one of our managers with covid and my son got it from her...SO NOW she says she get vaxed....

My kid wasn't very ill, as he's been vaxed and boosted...but still had to quarantine until he tested negative.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Here in Denver there is a mask requirement, but nothing about vax records. We ate out on Saturday, wore a mask to the table. We were easily 10 feet from the nearest party of diners. Upscale place, nobody crapping on the servers for having to wear a mask to be seated.

When this latest surge started our employees had not been masked for a bit. Suddenly we have one of our managers with covid and my son got it from her...SO NOW she says she get vaxed....

My kid wasn't very ill, as he's been vaxed and boosted...but still had to quarantine until he tested negative.
Challenging situations for sure.

The whole mask to the table but not when seated is rather pointless..IMHO...

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Challenging situations for sure.

The whole mask to the table but not when seated is rather pointless..IMHO...
It has to do with how far particulate matter, aerosols, can spread if you cough or sneeze.

We were about 10ft away from the nearest table. Well spread out, even though pretty busy. Was it perfectly isolated from any cross exposure? No. Good enough? Yes.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
It has to do with how far particulate matter, aerosols, can spread if you cough or sneeze.

We were about 10ft away from the nearest table. Well spread out, even though pretty busy. Was it perfectly isolated from any cross exposure? No. Good enough? Yes.
Yes. Understood. But for all intents and purposes silly protocol

middleview

President
Supporting Member
And people like you as well:

Fauci: The vaccinated can be as infectious as the unvaccinated, so they need to wear masks indoors; pandemic will get worse – Kentucky Health News (uky.edu)

And also, as Fauci has pointed out:

Omicron variant will 'find just about everybody,' Fauci says, but vaccinated people will still fare better - CNN

So I'm just not convinced there is a good reason to wear a mask, certainly not more than I already do, as I have developed a chronic cough, even though I never smoked and have been a long distance runner for most of my life. I think I'm better off keeping myself healthy for the time that I will ("inevitably") contract the "novel" coronavirus. Let's face it, in times like this, it's "every man for himself," whether you approve or not.
You have a cough because of the mask? No kidding...I have a mean toe fungus that came up after the vaccination....damn that fauci!

Dawg

President
Supporting Member

Was it last night that you posted you "bought mask for your employee's and customers" and now post the "dining room is closed" so it's getting harder to know when you're lying and when you're not lying. I even ask if you made customers eat with mask on! :)
This is worse than your "25%" lie................

Mask Don't Work