• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Universal background check = universal gun registration or it isn't enforceable

You know it. Tell everybody you know the truth of it. Universal background check is a listing of gun ownership ripe for confiscation.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
You know it. Tell everybody you know the truth of it. Universal background check is a listing of gun ownership ripe for confiscation.
didn't like your claim being pointed out as a fairytale?

We have universal checks in Colorado....no registration.

trapdoor

Governor
Except for the number of checks where the buyer didn't pass and the number of arrests made for the few hundred ex-felons per year who try to buy guns and have arrest warrants outstanding.
Which prove nothing. While those were happening, 20,000 people sold guns without going through the background check. Prove me wrong.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Which prove nothing. While those were happening, 20,000 people sold guns without going through the background check. Prove me wrong.
Again, preventing a few thousand who shouldn't have guns is not diminished by some who shouldn't get them anyway. There were 7,227 denials in 2017. I think about 500 of those were private sales. (40 per month).

Good is not the enemy of perfect.

trapdoor

Governor
Again, preventing a few thousand who shouldn't have guns is not diminished by some who shouldn't get them anyway. There were 7,227 denials in 2017. I think about 500 of those were private sales. (40 per month).

Good is not the enemy of perfect.
I'm sorry, but you can't even prove "good." You can prove some denials, but you have no idea at all if those denials amount to even one percent of the number of criminals who acquired guns.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
I'm sorry, but you can't even prove "good." You can prove some denials, but you have no idea at all if those denials amount to even one percent of the number of criminals who acquired guns.
So 500 per year isn't good enough? You'd rather not have the law unless you can be sure you are getting 100% of private sales with a background check?

I don't need it to be perfect. I want it to be an improvement...and it is.

trapdoor

Governor
So 500 per year isn't good enough? You'd rather not have the law unless you can be sure you are getting 100% of private sales with a background check?

I don't need it to be perfect. I want it to be an improvement...and it is.
No, I'm saying if it's 1 percent or less of all the criminal gun sales, it's not good. Meaning the only way you'd know if it was good or not would be if you tracked sales where people chose not to obey the law, and didn't do a background check. Get back to me when you can tell me how many of those sales took place, because they're the ones that matter.

That's the trouble with "universal" background checks -- they work great for people who obey the law, and they're utterly unenforceable if people choose not to obey the law. Which means they won't work, and six months after universal background checks, the Feinstein's of the world will say we need further restrictions, and call for registration.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
No, I'm saying if it's 1 percent or less of all the criminal gun sales, it's not good. Meaning the only way you'd know if it was good or not would be if you tracked sales where people chose not to obey the law, and didn't do a background check. Get back to me when you can tell me how many of those sales took place, because they're the ones that matter.

That's the trouble with "universal" background checks -- they work great for people who obey the law, and they're utterly unenforceable if people choose not to obey the law. Which means they won't work, and six months after universal background checks, the Feinstein's of the world will say we need further restrictions, and call for registration.
The trouble with you is that you don't think reducing ex-felon or even currently wanted individuals from buying guns isn't of value unless it is more than 1% of private sales.
I disagree. To reduce the number of criminals with guns in Colorado by 500 is a good thing....Across 50 states would be even better.

Whether or not there are people who call for registration is irrelevant. They do that now.

voyager

4Q2247365
Too many unregistered guns in America to have much of an effect. The law only has paper work for three of mine.

trapdoor

Governor
The trouble with you is that you don't think reducing ex-felon or even currently wanted individuals from buying guns isn't of value unless it is more than 1% of private sales.
I disagree. To reduce the number of criminals with guns in Colorado by 500 is a good thing....Across 50 states would be even better.

Whether or not there are people who call for registration is irrelevant. They do that now.
No, the "trouble" with me is that I don't accept that the incidents where morons were caught by CO's law is in any way representative of most criminal activity. I don't think it reduces crime. Is there any evidence that it has done so? If so, CO has done a very poor job of reporting the reduction. Reducing the number of criminals who have guns by 500 is probably the equivalent of giving Warren Buffet 50 cents -- it's nice and all, but it doesn't make any real difference.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
No, the "trouble" with me is that I don't accept that the incidents where morons were caught by CO's law is in any way representative of most criminal activity. I don't think it reduces crime. Is there any evidence that it has done so? If so, CO has done a very poor job of reporting the reduction. Reducing the number of criminals who have guns by 500 is probably the equivalent of giving Warren Buffet 50 cents -- it's nice and all, but it doesn't make any real difference.
There were 500 fewer armed ex-felons in Colorado last year. So 100% of those 500 ex-felons did not use a gun they might have purchased that day to commit a crime.

trapdoor

Governor
There were 500 fewer armed ex-felons in Colorado last year. So 100% of those 500 ex-felons did not use a gun they might have purchased that day to commit a crime.
How much did that reduce crime in Colorado compared to previous years? How much has the background check law in Colorado reduced crime compared to before it was enacted?

Measurable results are what matters, and without looking at any formal statistics I venture to say that there has been no measurable result, shown as the reduction in crime touted as the reason for the law, in Colorado. And if there has not been, there is no reason for the law.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
How many of the 500 were dope heads that probably never touched a gun?