• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Visited The Mariner's Museum in Newport News,VA 6/23/2014

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Was there a little over 3 hours and wanted to stay another hour. I went to the observation deck at The USS Monitor Exhibit 3 times. The tanks containing one of the cannons and one gun carriage and the steam engine condenser were covered with tarps. The tanks with one gun,carriage,turret and steam engine were open. What a sight. Lotta artifacts have been fully restored and are on display. The items I mentioned are still submersed in fresh water tanks with some kind of treatment ongoing for about 12 more years. An elderly museum volunteer
spotted me and came over and talked to me and gave me a guided tour of the Monitor Exhibit and told me some things about the ship that aren't apparent just from visiting the museum. Turns out he was a retired merchant seaman originally from Galveston,Texas. He graduated from the high school in Galveston 15 years before I was born in Galveston.

Wahbooz

Governor
Was there a little over 3 hours and wanted to stay another hour. I went to the observation deck at The USS Monitor Exhibit 3 times. The tanks containing one of the cannons and one gun carriage and the steam engine condenser were covered with tarps. The tanks with one gun,carriage,turret and steam engine were open. What a sight. Lotta artifacts have been fully restored and are on display. The items I mentioned are still submersed in fresh water tanks with some kind of treatment ongoing for about 12 more years. An elderly museum volunteer
spotted me and came over and talked to me and gave me a guided tour of the Monitor Exhibit and told me some things about the ship that aren't apparent just from visiting the museum. Turns out he was a retired merchant seaman originally from Galveston,Texas. He graduated from the high school in Galveston 15 years before I was born in Galveston.
I went aboard a Japanese concrete ship at Fisherman's Wharf back in the 1960's. Wierd. As I understand it's purpose, it was to draw American ships in during WWII.

Boltlady

Mayor
Although I live just a hair over 30 miles from there, I've never been to the museum. It seems to happen a lot that we will go other places for a vacation and to sight see, but really don't fully explore the places on our own doorstep.

Wahbooz

Governor
Although I live just a hair over 30 miles from there, I've never been to the museum. It seems to happen a lot that we will go other places for a vacation and to sight see, but really don't fully explore the places on our own doorstep.
Because it's close by and 'Gee, we can always go there.'

Wahbooz

Governor
Have you been there since you last posted in this thread?
No, but then I'm not close enough for a trip there. Actually there's a lot of places I'd like to go, and some day I will. Some day retirement will actually take hold, and then look out.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Have you been to the Williamsburg Battlefield?

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
It has been a little over five years now. Have you been to that museum yet?

Boltlady

Mayor
It has been a little over five years now. Have you been to that museum yet?
When I was laid up for so long from crushing my ankle my lungs became exceptionally weak. They were already heavily compromised but now I can't always make it to the other side of my house without having to stop and rest for several minutes. Consequently the travel that I would have loved to do in my retirement years has not been possible.

It's unfortunate because I would dearly love to go to all of the museums and places of interest. I've only been to a very few since my time was at such a premium when I was actively running my business. Now I would have the time but don't have the capability. At least I made it to a few of the places before I fell apart.;)

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
When I was laid up for so long from crushing my ankle my lungs became exceptionally weak. They were already heavily compromised but now I can't always make it to the other side of my house without having to stop and rest for several minutes. Consequently the travel that I would have loved to do in my retirement years has not been possible.

It's unfortunate because I would dearly love to go to all of the museums and places of interest. I've only been to a very few since my time was at such a premium when I was actively running my business. Now I would have the time but don't have the capability. At least I made it to a few of the places before I fell apart.;)
I've very sorry to hear about your mobility issues. I'm rolling up on 61 and still have my health but I go to as many places like that as I can because there are no guarantees for any of us. I have a good stockpile of books and Civil War magazines for when my mobility issues time comes.

Boltlady

Mayor
I've very sorry to hear about your mobility issues. I'm rolling up on 61 and still have my health but I go to as many places like that as I can because there are no guarantees for any of us. I have a good stockpile of books and Civil War magazines for when my mobility issues time comes.
Thanks for your concern but you're still a spring chicken. As it is at 79 it becomes tricky to read large amounts at a time so those books can get dusty. O course if the magazines have big pictures it helps.:D