• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Voter ID laws, are they needed and what about implementation?

My undergraduate is in economics and one of the things I studied was cost-benefit analysis. So, let us look at the cost vs benefit of the voter ID law in my state of Wisconsin. The Repubs in the state passed what is referred to as the toughest voter id law in the nation. It limits the type of id's that can be used to a very few. The estimated cost of the law to the state is 4.5 million dollars a year. The estimate was done by the Governor's own administration. A study was done of voter fraud in the state's last 7 elections and found one case. SO, you decide on a cost vs. benefit basis if the voter Id law is worth it.

But in my opinion, the real problem with these laws is not their cost, but they lack implementation plans that will insure all American Citizens retain their "right" to vote. If these laws would set forth plans to insure that all Americans Citizens retain this right, then there should be no objections to these laws. The states that pass such laws ought to be out there working to insure that this occurs, if nothing else to show Americans that they aren't being passed to take the right to vote away from people who might not vote for one their party.

StanH

Council Member
What right to vote?

My undergraduate is in economics and one of the things I studied was cost-benefit analysis. So, let us look at the cost vs benefit of the voter ID law in my state of Wisconsin. The Repubs in the state passed what is referred to as the toughest voter id law in the nation. It limits the type of id's that can be used to a very few. The estimated cost of the law to the state is 4.5 million dollars a year. The estimate was done by the Governor's own administration. A study was done of voter fraud in the state's last 7 elections and found one case. SO, you decide on a cost vs. benefit basis if the voter Id law is worth it.

But in my opinion, the real problem with these laws is not their cost, but they lack implementation plans that will insure all American Citizens retain their "right" to vote. If these laws would set forth plans to insure that all Americans Citizens retain this right, then there should be no objections to these laws. The states that pass such laws ought to be out there working to insure that this occurs, if nothing else to show Americans that they aren't being passed to take the right to vote away from people who might not vote for one their party.

BitterPill

The Shoe Cometh
Supporting Member

I wouldn't mind an adult conversation on the matter, but one can't be had with a conservative around.

worldlymrb

Revenge
I wouldn't mind an adult conversation on the matter, but one can't be had with a conservative around.
If I need to show ID to a armed Federal Fish & Wildlife agent to obtain a fishing license, surely an illegal immigrant can show his library card or something that is not in Spanish for ID. Afterall, the illegal is only excising his god given right to vote.

Boca

Governor
Are they needed?

I've underlined the most important reason.

In it's 6-3 decision in 2008, the Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of the photo ID requirement, finding it closely related to Indiana's legitimate state interest in preventing voter fraud, modernizing elections, and safeguarding voter confidence.

"We cannot conclude that the statute imposes 'excessively burdensome requirements' on any class of voters

NCmusicman

Governor
If you don't have ID Laws and voter id - then Wisconsin Dem voters could go to Iowa and vote or anywhere else they want... and they would.

The only reason Democrats want no voter id is because they like to steal elections.

BitterPill

The Shoe Cometh
Supporting Member
If I need to show ID to a armed Federal Fish & Wildlife agent to obtain a fishing license, surely an illegal immigrant can show his library card or something that is not in Spanish for ID. Afterall, the illegal is only excising his god given right to vote.
I've underlined the most important reason.

In it's 6-3 decision in 2008, the Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of the photo ID requirement, finding it closely related to Indiana's legitimate state interest in preventing voter fraud, modernizing elections, and safeguarding voter confidence.

"We cannot conclude that the statute imposes 'excessively burdensome requirements' on any class of voters
If you don't have ID Laws and voter id - then Wisconsin Dem voters could go to Iowa and vote or anywhere else they want... and they would.

The only reason Democrats want no voter id is because they like to steal elections.
See what I mean, Independent.

NCmusicman

Governor
I've been to Wisconsin a few times... are all Wisconcin Democrats crooked? It sure seems like Wsconsin Dems have moral code deficiencies.

NC, no all Dems aren't crooked, but it looks like Walker might be. Many of his cronies in Milwaukee are under investigation and at least one has been convicted. Does this mean all Repubs are crooked, no, but people like you try to set up your party as perfect and the other as the bad guy. Most of the time, both the Dems and the repubs are bad guys and we pay for it.