• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Wait – what? The government's own study shows 60% of illegals are on welfare?

EatTheRich

President
Another reason why the law needs to be changed about automatic citizenship for babies born in this country. That should not be an automatic thing.
That’s not just the law. It’s the Constitution. I think changing it is a terrible idea. It is what prevents people from being excluded from citizenship and its benefits because a majority in Congress or a state legislature doesn’t like their race, religion, gender expression, sexual orientation, or politics.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
If you're homeless, or trying to buy a house, or maxed out your credit cards, you're living the dream already.
Sister-in-law just bought a house....they'll refi when interest rates go down. So would you prefer the FED do nothing about inflation?

If you've maxed out your credit cards you need to rethink your priorities. I pay mine off every month and I pay for everything on VISA....gotta love those miles.

Homelessness is not new. Got a solution? How about any of these possibilities....
1. Free public colleges.
2. Increase the minimum wage
3. Subsidized low income housing
4. Economic support to increase jobs (oh wait....we're already there)

Of course, each of these has a downside....I don't claim that I'd be in favor of any of them....but what do you see as a way to house more people?

middleview

President
Supporting Member
My family were migrant farm workers until the mid-80s. Illegal immigration destroyed that way of life for us.
So no problem with Reagan's mass amnesty? That happened in the 80's.

Too bad the republicans didn't pass the legislation that would have helped.

Boltlady

Mayor
That’s not just the law. It’s the Constitution. I think changing it is a terrible idea. It is what prevents people from being excluded from citizenship and its benefits because a majority in Congress or a state legislature doesn’t like their race, religion, gender expression, sexual orientation, or politics.
What does being born in America giving automatic citizenship have to do with any of that other stuff? Another solution would be that the baby has to stay with its parents in its home country after they're deported until it's 18 (unless they are able to become legal citizens).

i'm okay with granting citizenship to people born here, so that planet earth doesn't create a horde of "stateless" people who were born someplace different than their parents.

I'd settle for arresting and deporting every illegal alien with a felony warrant outstanding. The goal should be to get rid of losers, and make others think twice about coming here to deal drugs, human trafficking, terrorist shadow cell, stolen identity, etc.

So no problem with Reagan's mass amnesty? That happened in the 80's.

Too bad the republicans didn't pass the legislation that would have helped.
last time i checked, democrats controlled the senate. why are you always maniacally focused on what some random republican did decades ago. if they wanted to put the work in, the senate could easily draft amendments for things like . . .

1. national guarantee of abortion rights
2. licensing and insuring guns in a manner similar to automobiles
3. border/immigration reform
4. consistent voting procedures
5. national ID
6. replacing the electoral college with a simple majority of the popular vote.

DC politicians are lazy and corrupt. they want to jabber about stuff and use it to raise campaign money, instead of actually draft amendments.

EatTheRich

President
What does being born in America giving automatic citizenship have to do with any of that other stuff? Another solution would be that the baby has to stay with its parents in its home country after they're deported until it's 18 (unless they are able to become legal citizens).
1st-children of aliens are called “anchor babies” and denied citizenship. Then-children born Black are called “14th Amendment babies” and denied citizenship.

EatTheRich

President
i'm okay with granting citizenship to people born here, so that planet earth doesn't create a horde of "stateless" people who were born someplace different than their parents.

I'd settle for arresting and deporting every illegal alien with a felony warrant outstanding. The goal should be to get rid of losers, and make others think twice about coming here to deal drugs, human trafficking, terrorist shadow cell, stolen identity, etc.
That would be much easier to do if the vast majority of “illegals” who are law-abiding (excepting their victimless and circumstantially unavoidable violations of arbitrary immigration law) were permitted a quick, transparent transition to citizenship or legal residency.

Boltlady

Mayor
1st-children of aliens are called “anchor babies” and denied citizenship. Then-children born Black are called “14th Amendment babies” and denied citizenship.
I didn't know that. I just thought the aliens' baby was automatically American if it was born here. I didn't know the color mattered.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
So you only approve of the Constitution as written by the founders when it agrees with you?

Many amendments are vague enough to encourage somewhat unending debate...the 2nd amendment comes to mind.

EatTheRich

President
I didn't know that. I just thought the aliens' baby was automatically American if it was born here. I didn't know the color mattered.
The whole reason the 14th Amendment was written was that some were being denied the rights of citizenship because of their race.

sensible don

Governor
Supporting Member
last time i checked, democrats controlled the senate. why are you always maniacally focused on what some random republican did decades ago. if they wanted to put the work in, the senate could easily draft amendments for things like . . .

1. national guarantee of abortion rights
2. licensing and insuring guns in a manner similar to automobiles
3. border/immigration reform
4. consistent voting procedures
5. national ID
6. replacing the electoral college with a simple majority of the popular vote.

DC politicians are lazy and corrupt. they want to jabber about stuff and use it to raise campaign money, instead of actually draft amendments.
Are you really for all those reforms listed above - if so there are many points I agree with you on. Now if they did all these, how many would pass the house? The senate can declare the sky is blue but if the brown mango says it is green the house will say it is green - just like what is going on today and everyday, amiright?

Are you really for all those reforms listed above - if so there are many points I agree with you on. Now if they did all these, how many would pass the house? The senate can declare the sky is blue but if the brown mango says it is green the house will say it is green - just like what is going on today and everyday, amiright?
i'm not saying that i back every controversial topic. Just that the constitutional amendment process is what the founding fathers intended to resolve this stuff. Not through the appointment of politically partisan judges, presidential executive orders, or endless speeches by senators whose only purpose is to generate campaign contributions.