• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

We are loosing too many posters due to our Grumpiness -

Max R.

On the road
Supporting Member
Getting cancer has caused many to quit. On others they can not wait to get out to smoke again.....
For me, it was my dad, the epitome of what not to do. God bless him and I love him, but he was the type to smoke on the way to the hospital with an angina attack. He only quit at 63 after a quadruple bypass and then only because they'd cut him off if he didn't.

My paternal family line has a history of high cholesterol and heart disease. Uncle dropped dead at 42 from a heat attack, both dad and other uncle had quadruples in their 60s. When I was in my young 40s, I had a physical and the blood test came up "dangerous levels" of cholesterol. I told the Doc I'd been eating right and exercising regularly (albeit I still smoked). He said it was genetic and put me on anti-cholesterol drugs (simvastatin at the time), told me to keep doing what I was doing except to quit smoking. I asked "If I do all of this, will I still have a zipper put in my chest in my 60s?" He said "No, you'll be fine". Last year, at age 58, I had a nuclear stress test. The results were "healthy heart". Not "healthy for 58", but "healthy heart". The Doc was right.

This doesn't mean I live on yogurt and rabbit food, although I do like both. Tonight the wife and I had grilled steaks. On days off at home, I have a couple of drinks. When I go to the gym, I eat either cereal or yogurt, but if not, it's eggs and ham. I try to eat healthy, but I'm not a fanatic about it.

MaryAnne

Governor
For me, it was my dad, the epitome of what not to do. God bless him and I love him, but he was the type to smoke on the way to the hospital with an angina attack. He only quit at 63 after a quadruple bypass and then only because they'd cut him off if he didn't.

My paternal family line has a history of high cholesterol and heart disease. Uncle dropped dead at 42 from a heat attack, both dad and other uncle had quadruples in their 60s. When I was in my young 40s, I had a physical and the blood test came up "dangerous levels" of cholesterol. I told the Doc I'd been eating right and exercising regularly (albeit I still smoked). He said it was genetic and put me on anti-cholesterol drugs (simvastatin at the time), told me to keep doing what I was doing except to quit smoking. I asked "If I do all of this, will I still have a zipper put in my chest in my 60s?" He said "No, you'll be fine". Last year, at age 58, I had a nuclear stress test. The results were "healthy heart". Not "healthy for 58", but "healthy heart". The Doc was right.

This doesn't mean I live on yogurt and rabbit food, although I do like both. Tonight the wife and I had grilled steaks. On days off at home, I have a couple of drinks. When I go to the gym, I eat either cereal or yogurt, but if not, it's eggs and ham. I try to eat healthy, but I'm not a fanatic about it.
Max, Since I have been going to the Y 5 days a week,quit my statins. My cholesterol is fine. My BMI is 26. My Doctor said, " If you think I am going to fuss about 1%!"

I try very hard to eat what is good for me, but too many lunches and brunches.

Did you know walnuts are anti- inflammatory?

Caroljo

Senator

Simvastatin almost killed my husband. He was taking it every day (can't remember the mg's)...we'd seen something on tv about it and what it does to some people, and my husband was going through many of those symptoms. He could hardly walk, swelling through his body & in his legs, gained a lot of weight. He stopped taking it for a while and all symptoms disappeared. He's now taking 1 pill twice a week and it seems to work ok.

MaryAnne

Governor
Simvastatin almost killed my husband. He was taking it every day (can't remember the mg's)...we'd seen something on tv about it and what it does to some people, and my husband was going through many of those symptoms. He could hardly walk, swelling through his body & in his legs, gained a lot of weight. He stopped taking it for a while and all symptoms disappeared. He's now taking 1 pill twice a week and it seems to work ok.
I had severe leg pains with my first one. Now have Lovistatin but decided since I was exercising so much I would do with out it.after three blood tests I told the Nurse.

I do not like those things.
I am not losing weight but am getting muscles and strength. I will slow down to three days when bad weather hits. I really do not want to look like Superwoman:( just stay healthy.

Caroljo

Senator
I was taking a statin drug for cholesterol for quite a while, then i was told because my "good" cholesterol was so high, I really didn't have to worry about the bad. Now they're saying that doesn't make a difference, if your bad is bad, it's bad! WTH? Seems every time you turn around something that WAS good for you is not BAD.....or what was BAD for you is now GOOD. It gets to a point where you don't know what to believe!!

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
It's not easy. No amount of drugs, treatments or anything else will work unless you really want to quit. If you do decide to quit, the nicotine addiction is broken in 72 hours. After that, it's all in the head.
made it 21 days after open heart surgery last Dec...........SWEETS took over.........smoked my last cig @ 8pm.............ready to go to Hand-To-Hand combat with any gawd-dawn ISIS member

MaryAnne

Governor
I was taking a statin drug for cholesterol for quite a while, then i was told because my "good" cholesterol was so high, I really didn't have to worry about the bad. Now they're saying that doesn't make a difference, if your bad is bad, it's bad! WTH? Seems every time you turn around something that WAS good for you is not BAD.....or what was BAD for you is now GOOD. It gets to a point where you don't know what to believe!!
I decided to try natural cures that seem to work and do not harm other parts of your body.

That is not to say I do not take the things I need,such as Synthyroid. I know how much harm the tiny thyroid does to your body. The thermostat.

On the other hand I have had chronic lower back pain since I was in my 20's. A few times on the stretching machine at the Y, that is gone.

I am telling this so that others might be helped. Had no idea what stretching your back,hamstrings would do. I should have realized it after my broken wrist,then later carpel tunnel deadened my right hand.you have to stretch those tendons to keep them from aching. Steroids cured the hand, but you need that stretching motion.

Exercise is needed to keep you healthy. I just got another clean check up.:)

I decided to try natural cures that seem to work and do not harm other parts of your body.

That is not to say I do not take the things I need,such as Synthyroid. I know how much harm the tiny thyroid does to your body. The thermostat.

On the other hand I have had chronic lower back pain since I was in my 20's. A few times on the stretching machine at the Y, that is gone.

I am telling this so that others might be helped. Had no idea what stretching your back,hamstrings would do. I should have realized it after my broken wrist,then later carpel tunnel deadened my right hand.you have to stretch those tendons to keep them from aching. Steroids cured the hand, but you need that stretching motion.

Exercise is needed to keep you healthy. I just got another clean check up.:)
I did yoga for years and years --- now I am rather lazy mainly because of the last tough years with the dogs I think --- but at the very least every day I stretch up to the low ceiling in my kitchen and flatten my hands to it ---- oooohhhhh and then put the kettle on and go back to bed with a coffee ;)

justoffal

Senator
https://people.csail.mit.edu/seneff/why_statins_dont_really_work.html

Caroljo

Senator
Thanks JO.

Since I have been exercising regularly my blood tests have come back fine.

I was using Canola oil. They just announced that is the 5TH worst.

I am returning to normal foods and leaving the artificial behind. After reading how your body reacts to artificial.
Oh geeze....I switched to Canola oil a long time ago because I heard it was better for you! Figures....can't trust anything anymore :confused:

MaryAnne

Governor
Oh geeze....I switched to Canola oil a long time ago because I heard it was better for you! Figures....can't trust anything anymore :confused:
:)
Same with me Carol Jo. I may go out and try to find some lard.:)

I know butter is better for you than margarine. We just can't win.