• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Welcome to America, God is great

Days

Commentator
I'm not supposed to be awake for hours more, but I want to share this while it is still fresh. Last night, one of my very few very close friends in this place, he's our mechanic, I'm his chauffeur, brought what is obviously family over from Egypt, four green cards in hand, ready to live in America. I got the luggage, the mother and two small boys, and ferried them to Mitch's place and waited for Mitch and the father. I speak not a word of Arabic, but we communicated from the heart. This was a very cool experience. At the airport, I told Mitch, "I know these people"... and he says, "this is their first time here" ... and I reply, "I'm having DejaVu then, because I remember them" ... it was a pure joy to be the first American they met after customs. I hugged the father, these people were full of love, they only came here because Egypt is unsafe, my wife is going to buy them some Baklava and I will drive it over; my wife tells me it was an honor for me, that God chose me to be the first person to welcome them to America. I feel like it is an honor to meet everyone I've met, all over this nation, that's what I love about this job, it puts me at a point of contact, and the same can be said for living in a condominium, it's like being part of a great big family.

my brain is off, but my heart wanted to say something... I think he's done.

Jen

Senator
I have met several people in my lifetime that I "knew" the instant I met them. By that I mean that I knew their heart. My husband is one of them. A girlfriend of my daughter's is another. And there is a poster on this board whom, though I've never seen him in person, I felt I knew the minute we exchanged posts almost 15 years ago and that I know I know from "before".

I don't know if it's a mutual feeling. But if it's not, then maybe it's just my addled brain experiencing a deja vous that isn't really there.

Take care of that lovely family.

Caroljo

Senator
I'd love to experience that. I have met people that I just 'clicked' with right of the bat. Like Jen, there are some here that I have that with too. That's a great story!! One thing that confused me....I thought Baklava was a Greek desert? My mother was 1/2 Greek and loved that stuff! :)

Days

Commentator
I'd love to experience that. I have met people that I just 'clicked' with right of the bat. Like Jen, there are some here that I have that with too. That's a great story!! One thing that confused me....I thought Baklava was a Greek desert? My mother was 1/2 Greek and loved that stuff! :)
beats me, I'm thinking about all that honey in Baklava - I think it has Winnie-the-Pooh origins. We have been friends with an Egyptian family in the complex, more so years ago when we first moved here; my wife must have received Baklava from them, I dunno. I'm sure Greece and Egypt trade foods, they have been sharing the eastern Mediterranean forever or longer... sailing from Alexandria to Athens would be like sailing Chicago to Bay City... not too far away, the Baklava would still be crispy (I hate it when it gets all mushy).

Wahbooz

Governor
I have met several people in my lifetime that I "knew" the instant I met them. By that I mean that I knew their heart. My husband is one of them. A girlfriend of my daughter's is another. And there is a poster on this board whom, though I've never seen him in person, I felt I knew the minute we exchanged posts almost 15 years ago and that I know I know from "before".

I don't know if it's a mutual feeling. But if it's not, then maybe it's just my addled brain experiencing a deja vous that isn't really there.

Take care of that lovely family.
Not an addled brain, Jen, it's mutual. And that I got pulled to this post proves it.

Jen

Senator
No? I thought maybe you were curious if I would see it and know.
That "wellll" meant of course I was curious. Now you're embarrassing me. LOL...

some connections are soul-deep.
I'll never see you here, but I'll know you there.

Those who were the ancient civilizations especially from around the Mediterranean have many dishes in common.

Days

Commentator
Why is Egypt unsafe?
for them... to come here with nothing but clothes and start over... they weren't poor... why do that with 2 young boys? I figure it wasn't safe for them in Egypt. We didn't speak each other's language, so I couldn't learn their story.

Wahbooz

Governor
There are different theories, but I believe it is out of Turkey, during the Ottoman empire. But don't despair, Italian pizza is really Greek bread.;)

Jen

Senator
There are different theories, but I believe it is out of Turkey, during the Ottoman empire. But don't despair, Italian pizza is really Greek bread.;)
Bottom line: Food from the Mediterranean is delicious. My son's mother-in-law is Filipino and she makes us Baklava every Christmas......

Wahbooz

Governor
Bottom line: Food from the Mediterranean is delicious. My son's mother-in-law is Filipino and she makes us Baklava every Christmas......
Yes it is. Interesting a Filipino would be making it, but since I love Filipino food I'd probably love that. Love Vietnamese food too.

Well..... I kind of pause when it comes to Balut.

Jen

Senator
Yes it is. Interesting a Filipino would be making it, but since I love Filipino food I'd probably love that. Love Vietnamese food too.

Well..... I kind of pause when it comes to Balut.
She makes amazing pancit and lumpia. We feast every time we visit our son in Seattle.

I love to try new foods .........but I, too, pause at Balut.

Wahbooz

Governor
She makes amazing pancit and lumpia. We feast every time we visit our son in Seattle.

I love to try new foods .........but I, too, pause at Balut.
Wise.

Does she use rice flour for the noodles? I love spring rolls. With all the Filipino's in the U.S. it's a surprise there aren't more Filipino restaurants.

There used to be a Vietnamese restaurant I went to, unfortunately it closed down.