• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

What About the Sponsors in the Newsmax/Direct TV Controversy ?

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder what was the cause of the sudden extreme drop from Nov 20 to Dec 4.
From 277K to 123K.
Because when the dust settled there was no red wave and Herschel Walker's runoff campaign went to shit. Rightwing media pedaled the "red wave" and rightwing media viewers realized they'd been played.

Number_58

I'm one of the deplorables lefty warns you about.
I've seen a lot of reports about the controversial shut-off of Newsmax from Direct TV, but haven't heard or seen a word about the sponsors who are paying big bucks to have their products shown to as many people as possible. Well, by having that advertising reduced by 13 million people, one would think that would be a big blow those companies, and a severe reduction of what they are paying for. Even on Newsmax itself (who talks about this frequently), we see no mention about the sponsors, and there are many of them, who advertise on Newsmax because it is one of the highest rated TV new shows (#4 by Nielsen ratings), reaching a large audience.

Here's a partial list of Newsmax sponsors >>>
Tide, GMC, Crunch Fitness, Jiffy Lube, Keytruda/Merck, Alfa Romeo, Worthy, Airbnb, Zaxby's, Florida leather Gallery, Nutrafol, Self, Daily Harvest, Buick/Envision, Pluto TV, Subway, Burger King, Little Caesars, Progressive Insurance, Ibrance, Calm, Greenlight, Kane's Furniture,

One would think that these sponsors would be up in arms, or at the very least, demanding rate reductions, due to reductions in service. This might be related to the specific contracts that these sponsors have with DirectTV, but having owned a business myself, I'd be hard-pressed to think that these sponsors would have went along with a contract giving Newsmax the right to reduce their viewership, without a corresponding/correlated reduction in price to the sponsors.

Lastly, we also would be hard-pressed to think that Direct TV is giving these sponsors reduction$, because their whole (ludicrous) excuse revolves around money, saying that Newsmax was asking for too much money (when they're paying more to 22 liberal broadcasters with much lower Nielsen ratings)

While it's pretty obvious that Direct TV and their parent ATT, have a political agenda here, the sponsors aren't thinking about politics. They're concerned with money, and that money comes from sale$ generated by advertising, of which there is now 13 Million viewers less of.
I switched to Roku quite a while back. At the time it had nothing to do with politics, but how they set up their packages to milk people out of stupid amounts of money.

"In order to get The History Channel, you have to pay an extra $13.95...but, with that package you get Harpo, Hallmark Channel, the Tiddly Wink Channel, and the Jehovah's Witness Channel."

Going with Roku, I can choose which channels I want individually and pay much less money.

Besides that, I still keep my signal when thunderstorms roll through or snow gets on the dish.

sensible don

Governor
Supporting Member
I switched to Roku quite a while back. At the time it had nothing to do with politics, but how they set up their packages to milk people out of stupid amounts of money.

"In order to get The History Channel, you have to pay an extra $13.95...but, with that package you get Harpo, Hallmark Channel, the Tiddly Wink Channel, and the Jehovah's Witness Channel."

Going with Roku, I can choose which channels I want individually and pay much less money.

Besides that, I still keep my signal when thunderstorms roll through or snow gets on the dish.
sounds good, direct tv is out of control - like over 130.00 now and no premium channels !

middleview

President
Supporting Member
They just wanted conservatives gone, They were asked by Democrats. Got rid of OAN too. I saw the actual letter earlier - went to history- cant find it again.
If so they'd want to get rid of Fox. I've seen NewMax and OANN and neither one is conservative. They are certainly right wing.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
When it was ranked # 4 it was ranked # 4. And if it could be ranked # 4 before, it could do that again. Whatever its rank, it shouldnt be axed by Direct TV when lesser ranked channels (liberal ones) are staying and costing more.
"shouldn't be"? Based on what? They are not required to provide a platform for anyone.

protectionist

Governor
Because when the dust settled there was no red wave and Herschel Walker's runoff campaign went to shit. Rightwing media pedaled the "red wave" and rightwing media viewers realized they'd been played.
Everybody's entitled to a theory, but Hershel Walker is just one guy, and Republicans took back the House. Democrats have had their losses too - Sinema and Fettering. I'd still say the downturn is Direct TV cancellation, and thousands of Newsmax watchers there just no longer watching it. They need to get a Vizio TV with "Watch Free".

protectionist

Governor
"shouldn't be"? Based on what? They are not required to provide a platform for anyone.
Well if major broadcasting companies (of which there really aren't that many) could discriminate based on political ideology, maybe they shouldn't be allowed to do that. Public ought to be able to get exposure to all sides.

protectionist

Governor

On my Vizio TV (maybe some other brands too) I have "Watch Free" which offers dozens of channels on a variety of subjects. Newsmax is one of those. I've been watching it for 2 years, without paying a penny, except when I bought the TV set, but that was something most people do from time to time anyway.

I'm actually surprised that pay TV is still in business, since they essentially have been eradicted by the advent of smart TV.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
HA HA. Liberals make things up and then act like it's knowledge they have that others don't. In the 2023 USA, "right wing" is just another word for "conservative".
Proud boys and Oath Keepers are not conservatives. Members of the Traditionalist Workers Party are not conservatives. Members of the KKK are not conservatives. White Supremacists are not conservatives.

They are fascist right wing extremists. I'm a fiscal conservative. I want government to be more responsible in spending and taxing. I am in favor of a balanced approach that mandates spending cuts in the same proportion of any considered tax cuts. I am not in favor of rioting to overturn elections. I am not in favor of government control of a woman's body or the government manipulating what is taught in schools to teach something other than the truth.

We disagree on what it means to be a conservative.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
No, I don't think that. You come up with some very strange thoughts.

Do you think the CBC, the NAACP, and BLM are liberals ?
The groups I mentioned took part in the Unite the Right rally. They are the examples of right wingers that I do not consider conservative, but they will tell you they are. They are certainly Trump supporters.

Is every employee at CBS a liberal? Really? Do I think the NAACP or BLM are liberal? Yep.