• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

What are you reading now?

PNWest

America's BEST American: Impartial and Bipartisan
PNWest Children's book recommendation:

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls - This book has been made into several movies and tells the story of a boy and his dogs. The boy is a vandal and destroys a sycamore tree that doesn't belong to him and later ends up in an altercation with a neighbor which ends up in the accidental(?) death of the neighbor. Later Billy's negligence ends up in the deaths of both of his dogs his parents kick him out and he goes to the big city. Billy's adult wish is to return to the Ozarks and marry his red-haired cousin Fern.

Note - This books comes highly recommended by a fellow PJ poster.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
PNWest Children's book recommendation:

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls - This book has been made into several movies and tells the story of a boy and his dogs. The boy is a vandal and destroys a sycamore tree that doesn't belong to him and later ends up in an altercation with a neighbor which ends up in the accidental(?) death of the neighbor. Later Billy's negligence ends up in the deaths of both of his dogs his parents kick him out and he goes to the big city. Billy's adult wish is to return to the Ozarks and marry his red-haired cousin Fern.

Note - This books comes highly recommended by a fellow PJ poster.
You prove to be one sick motherfvcker............KARMA will soon take care of you and I hope it's painful

PNWest

Nah, he’ll be just fine. But your butt hurt rage makes your life pretty crappy I would guess.
Somehow I tapped into his streak of anger. I was trying to be nice posting a review of the book he was re-reading along with my own witty insights.

Charcat

One of the Patsy's
Fair Warning - Michael Connelly

Michael Connelly is the author responsible for BOSCH, a great Amazon Prime TV series that is well worth watching. He's a prolific author responsible for both Bosch, The Lincoln Lawyer and a few other characters. I've read almost all of his books and find him to be a pretty good author.

Fair Warning is the 3rd novel featuring his character Jack McEnvoy an investigative reporter. It was published last May and for some reason I'm just getting around to it. After finishing "The Darkest Year" I felt I deserved a bit of lighter reading.

I am finding the book to be well written and very interesting. Connelly has always been an author that keeps up with the technical aspects of the day. He's dealing with the slow death of traditional journalism, DNA testing and the lack of regulation therein and the rise of the INCEL movement.

After taking over a week to get through the last book I found myself surprised to see that I'm nearly 1/3 through this book since starting it last night.

If you like well written realistic crime fiction you should give Connelly a try.
My standard rule is never to read books by hack writers--those that throw out a new book every year or less. There are quite a few writers around like him these days. Series Order - Michael Connelly

Charcat

One of the Patsy's
Presently re-reading 'Where the Red Fern Grows' to remember what determination and drive accomplishes

I'm shocked really that bdtex doesn't label YOU a racist as he did Browny for posting "The Organ Thieves" opinion
A GREAT book for people of all ages! It is still required reading in many schools today.

"Where the Red Fern Grows has been glowingly reviewed and critically acclaimed throughout the last several decades by several print establishments such as Parents Magazine, the New York Times Book Review (twice), and the School Library Journal (thrice), among others. To be critically acclaimed is for a piece of art to be praised, lauded, and analyzed in a positive way by experts in its particular field. Matt Berman from Commonsensemedia.org declares this to be an 'exciting, heartbreaking, uplifting' novel that 'should be a part of everyone's childhood.' "
Awards for Where the Red Fern Grows | Study.com

EatTheRich

President
Right now reading Kate Hopkins “Sweet Tooth: The Bittersweet History of Candy.”

Skye Moody’s “Hillbilly Women” which is a collection of oral histories from Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, and Ohio (where a displaced hillbilly community lived). Highly recommended.

Raymond Villareal’s novel “A People’s History of the Vampire Uprising” which continues to surprise about halfway through

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
A GREAT book for people of all ages! It is still required reading in many schools today.

"Where the Red Fern Grows has been glowingly reviewed and critically acclaimed throughout the last several decades by several print establishments such as Parents Magazine, the New York Times Book Review (twice), and the School Library Journal (thrice), among others. To be critically acclaimed is for a piece of art to be praised, lauded, and analyzed in a positive way by experts in its particular field. Matt Berman from Commonsensemedia.org declares this to be an 'exciting, heartbreaking, uplifting' novel that 'should be a part of everyone's childhood.' "
Awards for Where the Red Fern Grows | Study.com
I agree, it sure is a great book and movie... I have watched the movie more than once.

PNWest

Right now reading Kate Hopkins “Sweet Tooth: The Bittersweet History of Candy.”

Skye Moody’s “Hillbilly Women” which is a collection of oral histories from Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, and Ohio (where a displaced hillbilly community lived). Highly recommended.

Raymond Villareal’s novel “A People’s History of the Vampire Uprising” which continues to surprise about halfway through
Check out: Heartland: A Memoir of Working Hard and Being Broke in the Richest Country on Earth by Sarah Smarsh - "Sarah Smarsh was born a fifth generation Kansas wheat farmer on her paternal side, and the product of generations of teen mothers on her maternal side. Through her experiences growing up on a farm thirty miles west of Wichita, we are given a unique and essential look into the lives of poor and working class Americans living in the heartland."

This one is very well written and very much worth your time.

EatTheRich

President
Check out: Heartland: A Memoir of Working Hard and Being Broke in the Richest Country on Earth by Sarah Smarsh - "Sarah Smarsh was born a fifth generation Kansas wheat farmer on her paternal side, and the product of generations of teen mothers on her maternal side. Through her experiences growing up on a farm thirty miles west of Wichita, we are given a unique and essential look into the lives of poor and working class Americans living in the heartland."

This one is very well written and very much worth your time.
Thanks. While we’re in this genre another great book is James Agee and Walker Evans’s Let Us Now Praise Famous Men. It is about tenant farmers in the South during the Great Depression ... it was originally a story for Fortune magazine, then when the Fortune editors saw what Agee had written they refused to print it. Evans’s photos are about 1/3 of the pages in the book (my version anyway) and there is also a questionnaire from Partisan Review on the social role of artists answered very ably by Agee.

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Presently re-reading 'Where the Red Fern Grows' to remember what determination and drive accomplishes

I'm shocked really that bdtex doesn't label YOU a racist as he did Browny for posting "The Organ Thieves" opinion
You might like this as well, Where The Lilies Bloom. It was made into a movie too.

PNWest

Whatever floats your boat... :)
Is Tarantino still making movies?
I don't know - the last one I saw was Once Upon A Time ... In Hollywood.

Funny as all hell film about summer of 1969 in Hollywood.

He'd really put the RED in the Red Fern Grows story.

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
I'm currently reading "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch. He was a professor at Carnegie Mellon University who developed terminal liver cancer in his late 30's. He had a great job, beautiful wife and kids---everything he always wanted. Then this terrible illness hit him.
He wasn't bitter about his fate and wrote a wonderful book detailing his life from childhood right until the end.
This is my second time reading this book; it's a good one.

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
I don't know - the last one I saw was Once Upon A Time ... In Hollywood.

Funny as all hell film about summer of 1969 in Hollywood.

He'd really put the RED in the Red Fern Grows story.
That movie had no appeal to me whatsoever. Those guys/actors were having way too much fun playing their parts. lol :)
I stopped watching it after about 15 minutes.