• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

What hit Russia wasn't an asteroid or meteorite

Bo-4

Senator
Nor was it one of Obama's drone hits, Mitt's revenge from the Planet Kolob or Putin testing out his new super-secret weapon (potential proof positive below ;-)

Twas a "boloid". For those interested it wasn't related to the big one that we know dodged half the size of a football field.

Scary (and fascinating) nonetheless! If anyone has a crater photo of the hit.. please post ASAP!!

http://www.space.com/19806-russia-meteor-explosion-asteroid-flyby.html

am.ocdn.eu__m_68e2474b865128496b56b0bc502f4869_8_1.jpg

Bo-4

Senator
Never mind, i believe i have it!

A handout picture taken 15 February 2013 and provided by press service of the Chelyabinsk region branch of Russian Interior Ministry shows people standing near an eight-meter hole, reportedly the site of a meteorite fall, in the ice of the frozen Chebarkul lake near the town of Chebarkul about 80 km from Chelyabinsk, Urals, Russia 15 February 2013. (CHELYABINSK REGION BRANCH OF RUSSIAN INTERIOR MINISTRY/HO - EPA)

art.com_files_news_russia_meteor_meteorite_asteroid_chelyabins8020ab6e6aad9fc58df5865289810cda.jpg

Never mind, i believe i have it!

A handout picture taken 15 February 2013 and provided by press service of the Chelyabinsk region branch of Russian Interior Ministry shows people standing near an eight-meter hole, reportedly the site of a meteorite fall, in the ice of the frozen Chebarkul lake near the town of Chebarkul about 80 km from Chelyabinsk, Urals, Russia 15 February 2013. (CHELYABINSK REGION BRANCH OF RUSSIAN INTERIOR MINISTRY/HO - EPA)

art.com_files_news_russia_meteor_meteorite_asteroid_chelyabins8020ab6e6aad9fc58df5865289810cda.jpg
Nah! That crater was caused by the Loch Ness monster, which has relocated to Russia from the United Kingdom, because taxes are too high in merry old Britain!

ARMCX1

Mayor
Hopefully the meteorite fragment(s) that made that hole can be recovered. I'd guess they were pretty small despite the 24m hole.

Bo-4

Senator
Hopefully the meteorite fragment(s) that made that hole can be recovered. I'd guess they were pretty small despite the 24m hole.
Expect they can get to them with a recovery sub. And also guessing that you're correct. This baby was estimated to be about the size of a bus, but it exploded at 30k feet or so. Guessing the chunk that made that hole would probably be no more than 3-4 feet across.

ARMCX1

Mayor
Later on last Friday, a meteorite was filmed in NoCal. Yesterday, one was filmed along Atlantic coastal FL.

I saw a meteorite as a kid. It wasn't anything like the ones recently filmed. Much smaller but still easily the most amazing astronomical thing I've ever seen.

Later on last Friday, a meteorite was filmed in NoCal. Yesterday, one was filmed along Atlantic coastal FL.

I saw a meteorite as a kid. It wasn't anything like the ones recently filmed. Much smaller but still easily the most amazing astronomical thing I've ever seen.
Here's an amazing story: A former student of mine was sitting in his living room one day, when he was still in high school. He heard a thump in his back yard, and went to investigate. It was a meteorite. That meteorite financed his college education!! It was a VERY rare type of meteorite, a chunk of the planet Venus. The University of Colorado paid him (in the form of college tuition) for the right to display the meteorite in their museum collection. Kid was an aerospace engineering major! Talk about hitting the lottery! My understanding is that he still owns the meteorite, and he got a lucrative college degree out of it! [And the University of Colorado aerospace engineering program is the number two ranked such program in the world, behind only Cal Tech.]