• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

What If US Electrical Grid Collapses ? What Do You Do ?

protectionist

Governor
I'm not talking about a very short term loss of electricity for millions of Americans. In the event of an EMP attack, or strategic cyber attack, the whole country could be without electric power for months or even years.

Do we have non-electric systems in place to compensate for this ? What would control dams, subways, rail road crossings, traffic lights, street lights, and thousands of other things that have become entirely dependent on computers and electricity ?

In an instant, we could find ourselves thrust back into the 19th century (mostly). This would involve everything running on electricity. The water supply to your house could shut down. Will food disappear from supermarkets ? Some experts say yes. Will there be mass social breakdown/chaos with looting and robbing ? Some exerts believe that to be the case too.

I have only done a rather cursory skim of the information (which varies depending on the source), and don't have a fully focused appraisal of all this, but I have come up with some basic ideas.

I would move out of my apartment in the city, and get out into the country in a house in a wooded area, that is isolated away from population, and difficult to spot. This would be a house with a large fireplace, an outhouse, a wood stove, pump with a well, and plenty of land to have a garden growing my own vegetables. Living in the Tampa Bay area, I would try to find a house that is not too far from the bay, so as to be able to go fishing, and have that additional food source.

Needless to say, if/whenever things really get rough, we will all need to shore up our personal safety, and firearms will be essential (which I already possess). Keeping the home safe from breakins might become much more necessary, even if you are hidden in a wooded area. Covering the windows with bars or security film can help keep bad guys from breaking into your house, when you aren't home, with your shotgun and piles of ammo.

I have 10 gallon jugs of water stored right now, in case of a water supply shut-off, and lots of food & medicines stocked up. Lots of waterproof matches, batteries, +a radio with a crank and solar panel. Solar panels could be a source of electricity too. If you have a new car, you might consider trading it in, and buying an old one with less electronics in it, that would be fried in an EMP attack. If you have a house with a garage (highly advised) this would help to keep your car away from looters & car thieves. You can turn your garage into a Faraday Cage to insulate it from an EMP attack, although most cars are already pretty well insulated from the pulse shock, just because of being covered by metal and having rubber tires.

If you have a pump but eventually the well runs dry,and you run out of water, you can set up a rainwater catchment system, and also get a Berkey water filtration canister, to filter stream or lake water. To further filter your water you can use tablets to do that, or add 2 DROPS of bleach to a quart of water. You can live 3 weeks without food, but you cannot go more than 3 days without water. Wet wipes are good to stock up on too to keep yourself clean.

For communication, if cell towers are down, you can communicate (short distance) with walkie-talkies, and (longer distance ) with CB radios, or satellite phones. If you're going nuts after months of blackout, with no electricity and no music, get a musical instrument and learn to play it.

protectionist

Governor
Get lots of seeds to get your garden vegetables growing.... maybe some fertilizer, and a watering can, if there's no water being piped in for a garden hose.

I would put some fencing and concertina wire around the garden to keep looters away. Trip wires attached to audible alarms can alert you to the presence of looters.

Last edited:

Jack4freedom

Governor
I'm not talking about a very short term loss of electricity for millions of Americans. In the event of an EMP attack, or strategic cyber attack, the whole country could be without electric power for months or even years.

Do we have non-electric systems in place to compensate for this ? What would control dams, subways, rail road crossings, traffic lights, street lights, and thousands of other things that have become entirely dependent on computers and electricity ?

In an instant, we could find ourselves thrust back into the 19th century (mostly). This would involve everything running on electricity. The water supply to your house could shut down. Will food disappear from supermarkets ? Some experts say yes. Will there be mass social breakdown/chaos with looting and robbing ? Some exerts believe that to be the case too.

I have only done a rather cursory skim of the information (which varies depending on the source), and don't have a fully focused appraisal of all this, but I have come up with some basic ideas.

I would move out of my apartment in the city, and get out into the country in a house in a wooded area, that is isolated away from population, and difficult to spot. This would be a house with a large fireplace, an outhouse, a wood stove, pump with a well, and plenty of land to have a garden growing my own vegetables. Living in the Tampa Bay area, I would try to find a house that is not too far from the bay, so as to be able to go fishing, and have that additional food source.

Needless to say, if/whenever things really get rough, we will all need to shore up our personal safety, and firearms will be essential (which I already possess). Keeping the home safe from breakins might become much more necessary, even if you are hidden in a wooded area. Covering the windows with bars or security film can help keep bad guys from breaking into your house, when you aren't home, with your shotgun and piles of ammo.

I have 10 gallon jugs of water stored right now, in case of a water supply shut-off, and lots of food & medicines stocked up. Lots of waterproof matches, batteries, +a radio with a crank and solar panel. Solar panels could be a source of electricity too. If you have a new car, you might consider trading it in, and buying an old one with less electronics in it, that would be fried in an EMP attack. If you have a house with a garage (highly advised) this would help to keep your car away from looters & car thieves. You can turn your garage into a Faraday Cage to insulate it from an EMP attack, although most cars are already pretty well insulated from the pulse shock, just because of being covered by metal and having rubber tires.

If you have a pump but eventually the well runs dry,and you run out of water, you can set up a rainwater catchment system, and also get a Berkey water filtration canister, to filter stream or lake water. To further filter your water you can use tablets to do that, or add 2 DROPS of bleach to a quart of water. You can live 3 weeks without food, but you cannot go more than 3 days without water. Wet wipes are good to stock up on too to keep yourself clean.

For communication, if cell towers are down, you can communicate (short distance) with walkie-talkies, and (longer distance ) with CB radios, or satellite phones. If you're going nuts after months of blackout, with no electricity and no music, get a musical instrument and learn to play it.
I got a well and off grid solar electric power. I’d sit up here on my little hill watching TV and drinking ice cold beer and watch the world go by….

protectionist

Governor
Banks and ATMs will be down, so have plenty of cash on hand.
What type of well pump? Electricity is needed for the type I am thinking of.
Interesting topic.
When I was a kid (1940's & 50s) we had an apartment in upper Manhattan (New York City), but we also had a summer vacation house in Lake Carmel,NY (Putnam County). I spent the firt 15 years of my life there every summer.

Going from the apartment in the city, to this house in the country, was like going from 1960 to 1860. We had no running water inside the house, and we went outside to the pump to get water. It had nothing to do with electricity, I think it was some kind of suction mechanism, in which you had to pump the handle a few times before the water would start flowing.

Here's a picture in my Art gallery of that actual pump (the one entitled Lake Carmel) - if you click on the picture, and then Zoom you can see the pump (lower right corner) >>

protectionist

Governor
I got a well and off grid solar electric power. I’d sit up here on my little hill watching TV and drinking ice cold beer and watch the world go by….
Of course, there's also the safety factor. With a severe breakdown in social structure and massive looting going on, you know that world going by may pay a visit to you. You'll need firearms and lots of ammo. If a large crowd of baddies shows up, you'll need an assault rifle with selective fire (single shot ; burst ; full automatic)

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Banks and ATMs will be down, so have plenty of cash on hand.

When I was a kid (1940's & 50s) we had an apartment in upper Manhattan (New York City), but we also had a summer vacation house in Lake Carmel,NY (Putnam County). I spent the firt 15 years of my life there every summer.

Going from the apartment in the city, to this house in the country, was like going from 1960 to 1860. We had no running water inside the house, and we went outside to the pump to get water. It had nothing to do with electricity, I think it was some kind of suction mechanism, in which you had to pump the handle a few times before the water would start flowing.

Here's a picture in my Art gallery of that actual pump (the one entitled Lake Carmel) - if you click on the picture, and then Zoom you can see the pump (lower right corner) >>

Thank you, I see the pump now, having a pump like that with good water would be a treasure under the circumstances you described.
Such a lovely picture/painting too. Did you paint it from memory or use a photo?

I watched a movie years ago detailing/enacting what would happen if we had cyber attacks on our power grids.
It was very much just like the circumstances described in your post above.
The chaos created from such an event would be horrible.

It would be tough but hopefully survival skills mode would kick in. Dreadful as it is, I have dealt with power outages before. Necessity is the mother of invention.:)
During the outage one thing I used to cook on was a propane gas barbecue grill... properly vented.
It's dangerous to use one inside.

protectionist

Governor
Thank you, I see the pump now, having a pump like that with good water would be a treasure under the circumstances you described.
Such a lovely picture/painting too. Did you paint it from memory or use a photo?

I watched a movie years ago detailing/enacting what would happen if we had cyber attacks on our power grids.
It was very much just like the circumstances described in your post above.
The chaos created from such an event would be horrible.

It would be tough but hopefully survival skills mode would kick in. Dreadful as it is, I have dealt with power outages before. Necessity is the mother of invention.:)
During the outage one thing I used to cook on was a propane gas barbecue grill... properly vented.
It's dangerous to use one inside.
I painted the picture 3 years ago. Of course from memory ( we moved out f the house in 1961). Last time I saw it was in 1964. Incidentally, another useful thing for a long time power grid outage in the painting, is the GARDEN (middle left of picture) showing tomatoes & stringbeans.

Yes, a barbeque grill oudoors, is perfect for an electrical grid failure, with or without propane. Just coals or wood will do the job. If you have some propane tanks, they are great used used with a propane camping stove, like outside on a picnic table.

1686467526582.png

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
I painted the picture 3 years ago. Of course from memory ( we moved out f the house in 1961). Last time I saw it was in 1964. Incidentally, another useful thing for a long time power grid outage in the painting, is the GARDEN (middle left of picture) showing tomatoes & stringbeans.
Some artists are known to take snapshots and then paint from those. It seems like a neat idea to me.

I agree about the gardening for a food source if the plants and seeds are obtainable.

One of my favorite artists btw, is Hubert Shuptrine.
I have a copy of his coffee table book Home To Jerico. I have a personal letter he sent me with a free print of one of his paintings. :) He and his wife were lovely, gracious people.

Portfolio - Hubert Shuptrine: the Official Site
hubert shuptrine.JPG

Last edited:

protectionist

Governor
Some artists are known to take snapshots and then paint from those. It seems like a neat idea to me.

I agree about the gardening for a food source if the plants and seeds are obtainable.

One of my favorite artists btw, is Hubert Shuptrine.
I have a copy of his coffee table book Home To Jerico. I have a personal letter he sent me with a free print of one of his paintings. :) He and his wife were lovely, gracious people.

Portfolio - Hubert Shuptrine: the Official Site
View attachment 75162
Nice portfolio. I like the boats picture. And while in the subject of painting, as lots of recreational things shut down with a power grid collapse, painting is another thing that can constructively pass time, enjoyably and productively.

Here's my portfolio >>

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Nice portfolio. I like the boats picture. And while in the subject of painting, as lots of recreational things shut down with a power grid collapse, painting is another thing that can constructively pass time, enjoyably and productively.

Here's my portfolio >>

They're really nice. It must have taken a great deal of time to paint those.
My favorite was Lake Carmel. I zoomed in on it and I could really see all the charming details.
You must have had lots of fun at that place. Thanks for sharing your art>:)

protectionist

Governor
They're really nice. It must have taken a great deal of time to paint those.
My favorite was Lake Carmel. I zoomed in on it and I could really see all the charming details.
You must have had lots of fun at that place. Thanks for sharing your art>:)
You're welcome. :)

4/15

Mayor

Generator and gas in so many cans.

protectionist

Governor
As my generator is very heavy I do not see any one carrying it away. To put it in I used a bobcat loader.
That's good. You still have to watch out for jealous loonies who might firebomb it just for spite, or whatever is going on in their warped brains. Take care, friend.

protectionist

Governor
I'm not sure if all of what we read is about EMP attacks is correct. Some of it may be outdated, and some reports conflict with other reports. One report I read said that generators and batteries would be fried and unusable. I'm not sure about that.

There are some reports that say that all cars will stop running, while other says only some % will fail.

Some reports say supermarkets will shut down as food wont be delivered, and massive riots and civil disorder will occur as people begin starving. New York city has 32,000 police , but a population of 8 million. That is .004 cops relative to residents.

If social anarchy does ensue, New Yorkers, and other blue city residents, disarmed by their politicians, and unable to defend themselves against starving mobs, will be eliminated in the early stages, while even a few armed people will not survive.

Last edited:

protectionist

Governor
Now I'm reading that cars with electronic ignitions will not be able to start. This would include most cars built in the 1970s and after (electronic ignitions first began in 1968).

Might not be a bad idea to pick up a 1967 or earlier vehicle in decent running condition, and keep as a spare. If the grid goes down, we'll be glad we did that.