• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

What should African-Americans do?

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
Castille had informed the policeman he had a concealed carry permit and that he had a gun in his glove box. The policeman got scared and shot him.
Zimmerman should have minded his own business instead of stalking Trayvon. Zimmerman was at fault.
I don't believe Darron Wilson's story about Micheal Brown trying to take his gun.
The last two: Stephon Clark, 22 year old, was shot and killed by police in his Grandmother's backyard in Sacramento CA a few years ago. They thought he had a gun in his hand; all he had was a cell phone.
Laquan McDonald was an 18 year old in Chicago who was gunned down by police as he walked away from them. He was unarmed.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Castille had informed the policeman he had a concealed carry permit and that he had a gun in his glove box. The policeman got scared and shot him.
Zimmerman should have minded his own business instead of stalking Trayvon. Zimmerman was at fault.
I don't believe Darron Wilson's story about Micheal Brown trying to take his gun.
The last two: Stephon Clark, 22 year old, was shot and killed by police in his Grandmother's backyard in Sacramento CA a few years ago. They thought he had a gun in his hand; all he had was a cell phone.
Laquan McDonald was an 18 year old in Chicago who was gunned down by police as he walked away from them. He was unarmed.
Now you're getting into opinions, and mine is most likely going to differ from yours. I don't see any benefit from getting into a mile long tirade of did too, did not, did too, did not. So, let's not.

Jen

Senator
Thank you, Jen. You bring up some very good points. I don't agree with all of them, but I appreciate your input.
Frankly, @Sunset Rose , I don't know how to fix things. I don't think anyone does. There will always be hateful people in the world and they just seem to be able to hate without anyone stopping it. It is the presence of Evil.

Mick

The Right is always right
That still doesn't excuse a policeman killing someone under the color of authority.
My OP is not really an exaggeration. I can think of unarmed Black men who were killed in each of those scenarios.
1) We cooperate, we die: Philando Castille.
2) We run, we die: Walter Scott.
3) We fight, we die: Trayvon Martin.
4) We lie down, we die: Eric Garner
5) We put our hands up, we die: Micheal Brown
6) We mind our own business, we die: Ahmaud Abery
7) We're unarmed, we die: Stephon Clark
8) We're detained, we die: Laquan McDonald.

There are many others. These were the ones who just popped into my mind.
A. This is cherry-picking. If one sifts through millions of interactions you are inevitably going to be some the fit everything.

B. Most of these have already long since been debunked anyway. Michael Brown, for instance. Obama's DOJ came out with a report that said there was no evidence that Michael Brown ever had his hands up or was trying to surrender. This was backed by forensics and eye witnesses who actually stuck by their stories.

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
1: Stop breaking the law.
2: Go to school.
3: Get a job.
4: Get married before having kids.
5: Profit.
All of these things are very important to leading a happy, productive life. None of them, however, will save you from being killed by the police.

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
Yes. They will. People who do these things don’t come in violent contact with the police.
That is not true. Anyone can be stopped for a traffic ticket. For African-Americans that can turn violent very easily. Think Sandra Bland and Philando Castille.
It is not about an African-American's lifestyle as much as it is about their skin color.

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
Marvin Martian and Jack Dallas, the reply feature isn't working for me. So I'll answer you both here.
I have saw and experienced for myself that race counts more than anything in American life. An African-American person can do everything right: get a good education, work hard, take care of their families, stay out of trouble.
But, still, they are African-Americans and will be treated differently.
I don't expect you guys to understand. It's hard to see life from another person's perspective.
JackDallas, remember when you told us how your family members looked down on African-Americans? They had no reason to dislike them other than their race, correct? That still happens.
I believe there are lots of police who only see race when they look at African-American people.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
That is not true. Anyone can be stopped for a traffic ticket. For African-Americans that can turn violent very easily. Think Sandra Bland and Philando Castille.
It is not about an African-American's lifestyle as much as it is about their skin color.
Sandra Bland was combative with the officer and would not comply with his orders.
The shooting of Castile was tragic because he was stupid. The cop told him not to pull the gun and he apparently wouldn't take his hand off it. When you are stopped for an infraction, and you have a gun on you, or in the car, you put both hands on the steering wheel and don't take them off unless the cop gives you permission to reach for ID and other paperwork.
There was no good reason for Castile to have the gun in his lap.
I have been stopped a couple of times, coincidentally for a brake light not working.
I first get my wallet out of my rear pocket, before the cop comes up to my window, and have my DL and LTC and insurance paperwork, etc. ready when he gets there. I roll down the back windows, because my car has tinted windows, so the officer can see there is no one in the backseat.
My gun is always in either the console or my pocket. I tell him that and keep my hands on the wheel.
If you're stopped at night, turn on your dome lights and roll down all your windows.
All the things that Corrupt Buddha listed are certainly things that make a person a better citizen. If you are gainfully employed, and financially viable, and not under a lot of stress, your demeanor will be less anxious and less likely to send a signal to the cop that you are, angry, scared, intimidated, or combative.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Marvin Martian and Jack Dallas, the reply feature isn't working for me. So I'll answer you both here.
I have saw and experienced for myself that race counts more than anything in American life. An African-American person can do everything right: get a good education, work hard, take care of their families, stay out of trouble.
But, still, they are African-Americans and will be treated differently.
I don't expect you guys to understand. It's hard to see life from another person's perspective.
JackDallas, remember when you told us how your family members looked down on African-Americans? They had no reason to dislike them other than their race, correct? That still happens.
I believe there are lots of police who only see race when they look at African-American people.
I know there are still racists in this country, Rose, but it comes nowhere close to what I saw and experienced growing up in the 50s and 60s. My family, grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc. were all Democrats and blind racists. They hated black people for no good reason. As far as I know, none of them were ever robbed, raped, beaten up, or murdered by any black person. Their racism was totally irrational. I could never get anyone to tell me why they hated blacks. If it's any comfort to you, they didn't much like Mexicans either. But this was not just my family; everyone I knew was like that.

Several of my cousins and I, began questioning the causes of such racism, at around the age of 14, but we never received any answers that we thought were legitimate reasons to hate other people just because.
But it is not like that now, Rose. No matter what you are told, America is no longer like that. There will always be people who hate people, who are different from them, but an entire society is no longer like that.

Corruptbuddha

Governor
Thousands of Americans are stopped every single day and the vast VAST majority have no violence at all. Both black and white. With that many stops, what you suggest would mean hundreds of deaths per day. When in fact it’s extremely rare.

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
Sandra Bland was combative with the officer and would not comply with his orders.
The shooting of Castile was tragic because he was stupid. The cop told him not to pull the gun and he apparently wouldn't take his hand off it. When you are stopped for an infraction, and you have a gun on you, or in the car, you put both hands on the steering wheel and don't take them off unless the cop gives you permission to reach for ID and other paperwork.
There was no good reason for Castile to have the gun in his lap.
I have been stopped a couple of times, coincidentally for a brake light not working.
I first get my wallet out of my rear pocket, before the cop comes up to my window, and have my DL and LTC and insurance paperwork, etc. ready when he gets there. I roll down the back windows, because my car has tinted windows, so the officer can see there is no one in the backseat.
My gun is always in either the console or my pocket. I tell him that and keep my hands on the wheel.
If you're stopped at night, turn on your dome lights and roll down all your windows.
All the things that Corrupt Buddha listed are certainly things that make a person a better citizen. If you are gainfully employed, and financially viable, and not under a lot of stress, your demeanor will be less anxious and less likely to send a signal to the cop that you are, angry, scared, intimidated, or combative.

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
Jack Dallas, when you have time please read, "How Not to Get Shot" by D.L. Hughley. D.L. is an African-American comedian, so his book will make you laugh but it will also make you think. He discusses all the different advice White people give African-Americans concerning police stops. Then, he goes on to explain how none of the advice works in real life.
I'm sure your local library has this book.