• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Whatever happened to WMD's ???

middleview

President
Supporting Member
That might get you somewhere if it wasn't for the fact such weapons were known to have been used against Iran as well as the Kurds.

Nice try? Not!
What year was that, Boca? We had also had the inspectors in Iraq for years and they'd turned up little or nothing. The fact is that Iraq had a fairly inefficient government and military. That they couldn't keep track of how much material they'd destroyed or what might still be laying around somehwere isn't a surprise.....

We went to war because Bush/Rove saw it as a political advantage to prove Bush was a great leader and to call him a war president. Bush said as much to his biographer in 1998.....

NCmusicman

Governor
Bush got his intel from Clinton / Gore / Albright / Berger.

They are the ones that pushed for the Iraq War.... the Dems even handed over a signed Saddam Removal Act - signed by Clinton.

Boca

Governor
The dems were mostly saying that even if he did have them we shouldn't invade Iraq.....Since the dems were dealling with intel that was sent over by the White House....I'd guess it matters that Bush lied to them as well.
Don't know why the poster above left these out.....

"One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line." --President Bill Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program." --President Bill Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998

"Iraq is a long way from [here], but what happens there matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face." --Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998

"He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983." --Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs." Letter to President Clinton, signed by: -- Democratic Senators Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, and others, Oct. 9, 1998

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process." -Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998

So...as you can see, high ranking democrats were ranting and waving early on, when George Bush was Governor of Texas and Al Gore was Clinton's heir apparent.

More importantly , and this is something dem revisionists don't want you to even think about, is that they started beating the drums just six months after George "Slam Dunk" Tenet became Clinton's 3rd CIA Director in July, 1997 (two years before Bush even announced).

You remember George don't you? He would be the guy producing intel that was sent over from not one but two White Houses. If you persist in using the worn out cliche' that "Bush Lied' (which he didn't) then it follows that Clinton lied (which he didn't).

Sorry for having caused you to think for yourself so early in the New Year.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Bush or members of his administration made the following claims.

1. Saddam was trying to buy aluminum tubes to be used for centrifuges to make nuclear weapons.
- We actually had some of these tubes. They were the wrong size and were the wrong material to be used for a centrifuge. Bush knew this and lied about it.

2. Bush said Iraq was trying to get yellowcake uranium from Niger.
- There was no credible evidence. That statement had been pulled from a speech in 2002. Somehow it was included in the state of the union speech and then retracted by Ari Fleischer (WH Spokesman) in July 2003. Bush lied.

3. Bush said that the Iraqis could launch RC drones from frieghters off the coast of the US and attack US coastal cities with chem/bio weapons.
- The air force said Iraq had no such capability. Bush lied.

TomFitz

Mayor
Too bad for you that these out of context quotes don't actually work to support your side when you read the whole statement. In the case of Al Gore's speech, he was actually arguing against the invasion of Iraq....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/transcripts/gore_text092302.html

If you read this article in Snopes you'd see that most of the quotes are not as part of any support for an invasion of Iraq..

http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/wmdquotes.asp
I've pointed that out routinely to him for nearly a decade now.

But NC prefers to believe the myth, so he disregards the facts. It's easier for him to cling to the fraud he bought in 2002 than it is to admit that he got suckered.

Boca

Governor
And where do you suppose he got that information? From Laura?

You just don't want to talk about Tenet do you?

TomFitz

Mayor
Bush got his intel from Clinton / Gore / Albright / Berger.

They are the ones that pushed for the Iraq War.... the Dems even handed over a signed Saddam Removal Act - signed by Clinton.
That is completely false.

Bush's case for war was built in the Pentagon by a small group of cconservative fanatics calling themselves the Iraq Study Group. They included Douglas Feith, Richard Pearle, Paul Wolfowitz, Richard Lutti, Donald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney. Their primary source of information was the Iraqi National Congress, which was originally established by the CIA to promote anti Sadaam Hussein activities in Iraq. It's leader, Ahmed Chalabi, is one of the greatest con men in history, and he and a shadowy group of cohorts invented most of the lurid claims that the Bush adminstration used, and that right wing media megaphoned. The CIA frequently warned Adminstration officials that the information they were using was suspect and that the source were unreliable. The White House's response was to go back and find them something that they wanted to hear.

After it became clear that the whole thing was a fraud, a reporter asked Chalabi why so much of the intelligence that his group fed the neocons turned out to be bogus.

He replied "I told the Americans what they wanted to hear".

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Pinnochio

F U C K I N Lying A S S Republicans & Con's lying America into a B/S war costing US Trillions apon Trillions of dollars. Now they wanna come and whine about Obama & everything & Everybody else that actually gives a shit about America.

They make me sick, f u c k i n g disgucting Right Wingers.

The destruction of America is on YOUR shoulders, You are the ones that constantly HURT America.

You make me wanna PUKE !!!!!

Oh & don't you ever forget:

All Hail King Blam !!!!

:evil:

Citizen

Council Member
He had 'em alright as the statements of high ranking democrats attest...the question is where did they go? Hussein was told to provide documentation of their destruction. He didn't. End of story
Bullshit & he was NEVER subject to America/ GW Bush's whims...

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-NY) was asked by troops in Iraq whether the public was concerned about the Administration's Iraq policy. She answered, "Americans are wholeheartedly proud of what you are doing, but there are many questions at home about the administration's policies" – a candid and factual answer, especially considering recent polls that say the same. Of course, she was immediately attacked by right-wing pollster Scott Reed that she was "un-American."
I doubt that actually happened. What did happen though, was Hillary's bald faced lying about being under sniper fire while on a visit to Bosnia. I wrote a song about it:

Living on Tuzla Time

I went down to Tuzla, ‘cause I thought I could bamboozla
The rednecks and the rubes and slime
I was gonna’ see some action
Get some media attraction
‘Cause I was born to cross the line

Bill thought I was lazy, and Chelsea called me crazy
I was gonna show 'em all this time
'Cause you know I ain't no phony
And I aint buyin’ no baloney
And I aint gonna waste my time

Livin' on Tuzla time
Livin' on Tuzla time
Well you know I've been through it
When I set my watch back to it
Livin' on Tuzla time

Well there I was in Bosnia, a little west of Serbia
Puttin my big ass on the line
I was dodging all the snipers
While the soldiers soiled their diapers
I was gonna be a hit this time

Well, now I’m sorta’ thinkin’ that my chances are a sinkin’
So I really had a flash this time
I had no business leavin’
And nobody would be grievin’
If I went on back to Tuzla time

Livin' on Tuzla time
Livin' on Tuzla time
Gonna set my watch back to it
Cause you know that I've been through it
Livin' on Tuzla time

Jack Dallas

Citizen

Council Member
I doubt that actually happened. What did happen though, was Hillary's bald faced lying about being under sniper fire while on a visit to Bosnia. I wrote a song about it:

Living on Tuzla Time

I went down to Tuzla, ‘cause I thought I could bamboozla
The rednecks and the rubes and slime
I was gonna’ see some action
Get some media attraction
‘Cause I was born to cross the line

Bill thought I was lazy, and Chelsea called me crazy
I was gonna show 'em all this time
'Cause you know I ain't no phony
And I aint buyin’ no baloney
And I aint gonna waste my time

Livin' on Tuzla time
Livin' on Tuzla time
Well you know I've been through it
When I set my watch back to it
Livin' on Tuzla time

Well there I was in Bosnia, a little west of Serbia
Puttin my big ass on the line
I was dodging all the snipers
While the soldiers soiled their diapers
I was gonna be a hit this time

Well, now I’m sorta’ thinkin’ that my chances are a sinkin’
So I really had a flash this time
I had no business leavin’
And nobody would be grievin’
If I went on back to Tuzla time

Livin' on Tuzla time
Livin' on Tuzla time
Gonna set my watch back to it
Cause you know that I've been through it
Livin' on Tuzla time

Jack Dallas
Of course you doubt, thats the only way you can cling to the right wing lies.

Wulk

Mayor
He had 'em alright as the statements of high ranking democrats attest...the question is where did they go? Hussein was told to provide documentation of their destruction. He didn't. End of story
Actually, he did. He provided a 30,000 page dossier, Bush &Co reduced that to 3,000 pages. Also, Saddams' son-in-law defected to the West and brought with him the documentation showing that all Iraqs' WMD had been destroyed - he should know, he was the guy picked by Saddam to destroy them!

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
No it's not false.

Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 2:38 PM
Subject: PASS ON...GORE SAYS BUSH BETRAYED AMERICA......READ WHAT GORE HAD SAID
EARLIER ABOUT IRAQ, AS WELL AS OTHERS...

Gore Says America 'Betrayed' by Bush
Sun Feb 8, 9:43 PM ET Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

By AMBER McDOWELL, Associated Press Writer

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Al Gore (news - web sites), who lost the presidency to George
W. Bush in 2000, assailed the commander in chief Sunday, accusing him of
betraying the nation by invading Iraq (news - web sites).

"He took America on an ill-conceived foreign adventure, dangerous to our troops,
that was preordained and planned before 9-11," Gore told Tennessee Democrats at
a party event.

The former vice president said that he, like millions of others, had put
partisanship aside after the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks and wanted Bush to
lead the nation. Instead, Gore shouted to the crowd, Bush "betrayed us."

IRAQ & SADDAM HUSSEIN: WHAT POLITICANS HAVE SAID

"One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop
weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom
line." President Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want
to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction
program." President Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998

"Iraq is a long way from [here], but what happens there matters a great deal
here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical
or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat
we face." Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998

"He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since
1983." Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S.
Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air
and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat
posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs." Letter
to President Clinton, signed by Sens. Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, and
others Oct. 9, 1998

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass
destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has
made a mockery of the weapons inspection process." Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA),
Dec. 16, 1998

"Hussein has ... chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass
destruction and palaces for his cronies." Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary
of State, Nov. 10, 1999

"There is no doubt that ... Saddam Hussein has reinvigorated his weapons
programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs
continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition, Saddam
continues to redefine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of a
licit missile program to develop longer-range missiles that will threaten the
United States and our allies." Letter to President Bush, Signed by Sen. Bob
Graham (D, FL,) and others, Dec 5, 2001

"We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to
the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandated of the United
Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and the means of delivering
them." Sen. Carl Levin (d, MI), Sept. 19, 2002

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons
throughout his country." Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter
and we should assume that it will continue as long as Saddam is in power." Al
Gore, 9- 23 2002

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing
weapons of mass destruction." Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are confident
that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons,
and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and
biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is
seeking nuclear weapons..." Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to
use force-- if necessary-- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a
deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave
threat to our security." Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002

"There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to
develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next
five years ... We also should remember we have always underestimated the
progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction." Sen.
Jay Rockefeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002

"He has systematically violated, over the course of the past 11 years, every
significant UN resolution that has demanded that he disarm and destroy his
chemical and biological weapons, and any nuclear capacity. This he has refused
to do" Rep. Henry Waxman (D, CA), Oct. 10, 2002

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that
Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock,
his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid,
comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members ... It is
clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase
his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to
develop nuclear weapons." Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam
Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the
production and storage of weapons of mass destruction." Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL),
Dec. 8, 2002

"[W]ithout question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous
dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous
threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is
miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent
grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with
weapons of mass destruction is real ..." Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23.

Boca

Governor
He was NEVER VP to GW Bush, why would you tell such a blatant lie?
Ah yes...definite and indefinite articles...how kind of you.

Can we agree that he was Vice President when the intelligence was produced that caused him to make the statement?

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Let me rephrase my statement. That DIDN'T happen. It's a lie and you are lying by repeating it.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
They were all trucked into Syria according to GOP apologists/revisionists. It'd be great if Santourm makes a run of it in the GOP primaries/caucuses. There's some great footage out there of Santorum defending GWB over WMD long after none were found in Iraq.

TomFitz

Mayor
I doubt that actually happened.
Why would you say that? The vitriol and the lies from the right wing media began even before they started the war.

The GOP used the war as a wedge issue, almost from the moment when Karl Rove told the Conservative Policial Action Committee that the war was "an issue we can win on in November".

When Al Gore gave a prescient speech at the Commonwealth Club just days before the Senate granted Bush Autorization to Use Military Force, right wing media attacked him and called him "unhinged". He turned out to be right, of course. As it turned out, "unhinged" rapidly became a code word in right wing media for any critic that had their facts right, but who the con media didn't want to see get attention.

Right wing media also attacked the 9/11 Widows in the most shamless manner when they shamed the Bush adminstration into reluctantly asking for an investigation into what went wrong before 9/11.

Ann Coulter led the charge labelling democrats as failing to "support the troops" In fact, no Democrat ever blocked one dollar, one bullit or one man the Bush adminstration ever asked for. "Not supporting the troops" was code for pointing out the graft, arrogance and incompetence of the war's leaders in the White House and Pentagon.

As to the specific event you say you doubt ever happened.

Well, it did.

http://www.charm.net/~somerby/dh120203.shtml

This attack of very typical of both the tone and tactics of right wing media in those days.