• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Whispering Wind (The song of Chief Joseph)

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Whispering Wind
Song of Chief Joseph
from the lonely valleys
far below,
the rustling leaves of
aspens call
my troubled soul
from deep within
to live again
to love again
beside Blue River’s
raging flow
‘neath mountain skies
and whispering winds
come gentle clouds and
summer snow
and memories of
long ago
the lifting wind
the searching wind
the whispering wind
that calls my name
still you now
my fractured heart
hide in me and
bring me peace
let haunted dreams
i once held dear
lift me now and
hold me near
and take my mind to
heights unknown
the lifting wind
the numbing wind
the whispering wind
becomes my own
tho i be lost
and all alone
and free of all
that i have known
with all my hope
now turned to stone
i close my eyes and
And I am home
C-2005 Jack Dallas
From Adventures in Time Book 2
The American West

http://adventures-in-time.blogspot.com/2007/12/whispering-wind.html

Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce
http://adventures-in-time.blogspot.com/2007/12/adventures-in-time-book-ii-chief-josepf.html

Lapcat

Governor

Whispering WindSong of Chief Joseph from the lonely valleys far below,the rustling leaves ofaspens callmy troubled soulfrom deep withinto live againto love againbeside Blue River’sraging flow‘neath mountain skiesand whispering windscome gentle clouds andsummer snowand memories oflong agothe lifting windthe searching windthe whispering windthat calls my namestill you nowmy fractured hearthide in me andbring me peacelet haunted dreamsi once held dearlift me now andhold me nearand take my mind toheights unknownthe lifting windthe numbing windthe whispering windbecomes my owntho i be lostand all aloneand free of allthat i have knownwith all my hope now turned to stonei close my eyes andAnd I am home C-2005 Jack DallasFrom Adventures in Time Book 2The American West

http://adventures-in-time.blogspot.com/2007/12/whispering-wind.html

Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce
http://adventures-in-time.blogspot.com/2007/12/adventures-in-time-book-ii-chief-josepf.html

Patrick

Council Member
I should have said something more. I liked the natural imagery. I was able to envision the trees being blown by the wind as you wrote about it. I also like the way the way you omitted the punctuation and capitalization. Very e.e. cummings, although you're less "weird" than Cummings. You have an elegant turn of phrase, also. You can wax poetic without resorting to cliche. (If I ever see, "something dies within" again, I'm going to die within myself.) Also, very exalting and uplifting. You bring the mind to higher places.

Excellent work.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
My favorite works of fiction involve the use of fictional characters interacting with real historical figures (Michener does a lot of it and he's my favorite writer). If you read my story of Chief Joseph, you will see I do the same thing. I place myself in the Nez Perce war, as a war correspondent, and interact with actual historical characters.

The link below will take you to my writing Blog. Most of my postings from my Civil War Books were poswted in 2007 so you will have to click on that to access them.

http://adventures-in-time.blogspot.com/

Again, I appreciate yor taking a look. I guess you are not a Lib after all. Very few Libs ever praise my stuff.

Patrick

Council Member
My favorite works of fiction involve the use of fictional characters interacting with real historical figures (Michener does a lot of it and he's my favorite writer). If you read my story of Chief Joseph, you will see I do the same thing. I place myself in the Nez Perce war, as a war correspondent, and interact with actual historical characters.

The link below will take you to my writing Blog. Most of my postings from my Civil War Books were poswted in 2007 so you will have to click on that to access them.

http://adventures-in-time.blogspot.com/

Again, I appreciate yor taking a look. I guess you are not a Lib after all. Very few Libs ever praise my stuff.
You're a Civil War buff? Interesting. I'm actually writing about the events that led to the Civil War right now. As for praising your stuff, I like what I like. This was nothing political, so it's very hard to find ideological differences with it. I just thought it was very cool and uplifting poetry.

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Truly beautiful poem and well written.. tried to give you a thanks.. was unable to, sorry..
Thanks for sharing.. JackDallas!

fairsheet

Senator
My late mother was privileged to visit with Blackfeet who still lived per tradition, back in the 1930's, in Idaho. And sure....Blackfeet are different from Nez Perce. Still though.......how times have changed. My own mother encountered "real" Indians. I can remember back in the 60's-70's when friends and family thought we out here in the PNW, were still "fending off marauding tribes"!

And now...A coupla disparate (to say the least) guys like JD and I, can "feel" the quality of the man who was Chief Joseph, with no thought-diversion whatseover, to his ethnic place in history.

You have great talent, Jack. I perused your blog, and can see, that at least 4 1/2 years ago, you were very prolific. I hope you'll compose and share more poetry here.

jammer

Mayor
Nice poem Jack, didn't know you had it in you. It's a real shame how America treated Chief Joesph and all native Americans.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
You have great talent, Jack. I perused your blog, and can see, that at least 4 1/2 years ago, you were very prolific. I hope you'll compose and share more poetry here.
I appreciate that, TW. Some history: I started writing Civil War stories, and inserting myself into them as a time travelling War Corrrespondent, following the battles and interviewing the major players (Lee, Lincoln, Grant, etc. I posted the stories on the Fray over several years and finally put them into a book, then a second book (this one on the American West. I rode with Custer and met Chief Joseph. I even attributed his famous speech (I will fight no more forever) to his giving it to me to deliver it to General Howard.

I ran up San Juan Hill with Teddy Roosevelt, and interviewed Billy the Kid. I love history; history was my major in college. I wanted to write about it, not teach it.
I hope you will read some more from my Blog and I hope you enjoy them.

Thanks

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Nice poem Jack, didn't know you had it in you. It's a real shame how America treated Chief Joesph and all native Americans.
It is a shame indeed. In my story on Chief Joseph, I write about how General Miles made a deal with Joseph to surrender and when he did surrender, Miles had him arrested. It was pure treachery. Chief Joseph never saw his homeland again.