• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Why can’t OSHA protect people against viruses?

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
Yup. It’s hard to think of any other SCOTUS ruling that has the inevitable impact of killing thousands of people. And we know wingers will blame those deaths on Biden.
SCOTUS has in place every rule on the pandemic book to protect their chambers, keep themselves safe from Covid, but they don't want that to be mandated in other places of work.
What's interesting is that the SCOTUS cons asked questions that revealed their ignorance about the pandemic and sympathy towards rightwing conspiracies.

Bugsy McGurk

President
There is no law to declare. Congress never delegated OSHA that authority.
So you declare. Let me know if you find a law drawing a distinction between non-viral toxins and viral toxins. I think there is no such law drawing such a distinction and the SCOTUS wingers just thought their policy decision was better than OSHA’s.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
So you declare. Let me know if you find a law drawing a distinction between non-viral toxins and viral toxins. I think there is no such law drawing such a distinction and the SCOTUS wingers just thought their policy decision was better than OSHA’s.
No. No amount of word play on your part is going to change the reality. Let's call it a toxin to humor you. OSHA's power ends at the workplace door. Covid does not. Congress granted OSHA certain power and authority. That power and authority is limited to the workplace. Congress did not Grant any authority over the individuals corpus, nor did it granted any authority to as you say toxins outside the workplace. Hence the ruling. You could perhaps read the information provided instead of babbling. Or at least one could hope

Bugsy McGurk

President
No. No amount of word play on your part is going to change the reality. Let's call it a toxin to humor you. OSHA's power ends at the workplace door. Covid does not. Congress granted OSHA certain power and authority. That power and authority is limited to the workplace. Congress did not Grant any authority over the individuals corpus, nor did it granted any authority to as you say toxins outside the workplace. Hence the ruling. You could perhaps read the information provided instead of babbling. Or at least one could hope
You dismiss things you disagree with as “word play.” But you still provide no citation to any law supporting your distinction.

And as I have said numerous times, which you ignored numerous times, the OSHA mandate to protect those in the workplace did NOT require vaccination. It allowed for the alternative of testing. But the SCOTUS wingers still shot it down. The latest example of winger sabotage of Covid containment measures.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
You dismiss things you disagree with as “word play.” But you still provide no citation to any law supporting your distinction.

And as I have said numerous times, which you ignored numerous times, the OSHA mandate to protect those in the workplace did NOT require vaccination. It allowed for the alternative of testing. But the SCOTUS wingers still shot it down. The latest example of winger sabotage of Covid containment measures.
Sigh. It did allow for testing. The SC ruled against the grant of authority as it would have extended beyond the bounds of the workplace

Bugsy McGurk

President
Sigh. It did allow for testing. The SC ruled against the grant of authority as it would have extended beyond the bounds of the workplace
It’s impossible to test for the workplace without having the results of the tests also apply upon leaving the workplace. But such people can blissfully ignore the results of testing when out and about.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
It’s impossible to test for the workplace without having the results of the tests also apply upon leaving the workplace. But such people can blissfully ignore the results of testing when out and about.
Well...again..states and companies can decide.. or the sole requisite of testing could be brought before the courts

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
The SCOTUS wingers had the option of allowing OSHA to require testing or masks. They declined. Just not consistent with GOP ideology.
Well. The point of the matter is that they ruled correctly. Pout all you'd like, the fact of the matter is that OSHA was not granted such authority, does not possess such authority, had no such authority established, does not possess the ability to mandate vaccination. Like I said above it can be revisited in the courts if testing needs to be revisited. Meanwhile the states have possessed the ability to mandate all along, take your issue up with them

Bugsy McGurk

President
Well. The point of the matter is that they ruled correctly. Pout all you'd like, the fact of the matter is that OSHA was not granted such authority, does not possess such authority, had no such authority established, does not possess the ability to mandate vaccination. Like I said above it can be revisited in the courts if testing needs to be revisited. Meanwhile the states have possessed the ability to mandate all along, take your issue up with them
As you know, I’m posing a challenge, not pouting. And you failed to meet the challenge, choosing instead to simply declare that the SCOTUS wingers were correct.

If you ever do identify a law allowing OSHA to regulate toxins in the workplace EXCEPT for viral toxins, I trust you will let me know.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
As you know, I’m posing a challenge, not pouting. And you failed to meet the challenge, choosing instead to simply declare that the SCOTUS wingers were correct.

If you ever do identify a law allowing OSHA to regulate toxins in the workplace EXCEPT for viral toxins, I trust you will let me know.
Whatever figment you craft that gets you through your hatemongering day... I'll stick with the reality of the situation..that being such authority was nylot granted OSHA by Congress..ever

Drumcollie

* See DC's list of Kook posters*
The laws creating and enabling OSHA govern what OSHA can do. It’s called enabling legislation. This seems to be news to you. Now you know.

And no law that I know of distinguishes between protecting workers from toxins and protecting workers from viruses.
It's nice to see you act like you know what you are talking about. I wish it were true.

To assure safe and healthful working conditions for working men and women; by authorizing enforcement of the standards developed under the Act; by assisting and encouraging the States in their efforts to assure safe and healthful working conditions; by providing for research, information, education, and training in the field of occupational safety and health; and for other purposes.
Introduction | Occupational Safety and Health Administration (osha.gov)

The virus is not an issue of a workplace condition. OSHA will not be your Gestapo, which will break yer heart.

Bugsy McGurk

President
Whatever figment you craft that gets you through your hatemongering day... I'll stick with the reality of the situation..that being such authority was nylot granted OSHA by Congress..ever
Oh, that’s so because you stomp your feet. Why didn’t you say so?

;-)

Bugsy McGurk

President
It's nice to see you act like you know what you are talking about. I wish it were true.

To assure safe and healthful working conditions for working men and women; by authorizing enforcement of the standards developed under the Act; by assisting and encouraging the States in their efforts to assure safe and healthful working conditions; by providing for research, information, education, and training in the field of occupational safety and health; and for other purposes.
Introduction | Occupational Safety and Health Administration (osha.gov)

The virus is not an issue of a workplace condition. OSHA will not be your Gestapo, which will break yer heart.
This one actually says the virus is not a workplace condition. Imagine what all the widows of meat plant workers killed by Covid would say about that. They would slap you silly.

EatTheRich

President
If they would require the companies to provide N95 masks, which protect the wearer, to employees who are forced to work in groups, or with the public, that would likely have passed muster. Why is it that every lefty "solution" involves controlling the behaviors of virtually everyone, instead of effective solutions that place the onus on the individuals who desire "protection?"
In other words, the left expects everyone to take responsibility for protecting the most vulnerable, while the right allows cavalier irresponsibility to put others at needless risk for personal convenience.

Last edited:

EatTheRich

President
OSHA’s regulation was about what happened in the workplace.

Raoul_Luke

I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.
In other words, the left expects everyone to take responsibility for protecting the most vulnerable, while the right allows cavalier irresponsibility to put others at needless risk for personal convenience.
People should take care of themselves, and N95 masks are an appropriate way to do so. If the "most vulnerable" wear N95 masks, there is no need for authoritarian public health measures, such as the ones you champion day in and day out.

EatTheRich

President
People should take care of themselves, and N95 masks are an appropriate way to do so. If the "most vulnerable" wear N95 masks, there is no need for authoritarian public health measures, such as the ones you champion day in and day out.
It’s a vaccine. One of about 30 you are required to get to go to school and one of maybe 50 you have to get to join the Army. The most effective intervention available so far.