• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Why can’t OSHA protect people against viruses?

Bugsy McGurk

President
Everyone recognizes that OSHA has the authority to keep the workplace free of toxins. Even the SCOTUS wingers. So why can’t OSHA also do it’s best to keep the workplace free of potentially deadly viruses?

Can anyone point to a law that draws that distinction? Seems to me the SCOTUS wingers just made a policy decision - judicial activism at its worst.

Anybody?

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Everyone recognizes that OSHA has the authority to keep the workplace free of toxins. Even the SCOTUS wingers. So why can’t OSHA also do it’s best to keep the workplace free of potentially deadly viruses?

Can anyone point to a law that draws that distinction? Seems to me the SCOTUS wingers just made a policy decision - judicial activism at its worst.

Anybody?
It can do it's best. It just can't mandate vaccination under it's scope

Bugsy McGurk

President
It can do it's best. It just can't mandate vaccination under it's scope
So you declare, but again I ask…

What law says they can protect the workplace from toxins, but not viruses?

And bear in mind - the mandate did not compel vaccinations. Testing was an alternative.

RickWA

Snagglesooth

Anybody?
Lefty incrementalism writ large.

The answer is because once you telescope purpose beyond initial mission, THE WORLD is your oyster. Scope creep is how our government destroys liberty - especially when you federalize those scopes.

OSHA was supposed to be an agency overseeing/ensuring proper PPE and engineering controls are in place to keep workers safe. Basic parameter-setting.

Now, opportunistic partisans seek to make an argument that preemptive invasive medical choices are now the province of an agency whose expertise involves fall protection, chemical exposures/containment, and personal protective equipment.

This stuff is way out of scope. Administratively. What’s worse, it‘s a MAJOR reach in terms of content. Disease regulators? Seriously? And not just in terms of hygiene…but medical preventive care and invasive preemption…

Not even close. This is bizarre overreach.

Bugsy McGurk

President
Lefty incrementalism writ large.

The answer is because once you telescope purpose beyond initial mission, THE WORLD is your oyster. Scope creep is how our government destroys liberty - especially when you federalize those scopes.

OSHA was supposed to be an agency overseeing/ensuring proper PPE and engineering controls are in place to keep workers safe. Basic parameter-setting.

Now, opportunistic partisans seek to make an argument that preemptive invasive medical choices are now the province of an agency whose expertise involves fall protection, chemical exposures/containment, and personal protective equipment.

This stuff is way out of scope. Administratively. What’s worse, it‘s a MAJOR reach in terms of content. Disease regulators? Seriously? And not just in terms of hygiene…but medical preventive care and invasive preemption…

Not even close. This is bizarre overreach.
I’m not interested in your formulaic rants. I had a specific question. You dodged it.

You lose again.

Drumcollie

* See DC's list of Kook posters*

Anybody?
Because OSHA is being forced to mandates by politicians and not scientists.

CDC warns loosely woven cloth masks are 'least protective' against COVID
2h ago
CDC warns loosely woven cloth masks are 'least protective' against COVID (msn.com)

I have heard OSHA people talk about masks, not just cloth, but everything up to N95 masks...But lefty and their politicians have completely ignored OSHA.

Drumcollie

* See DC's list of Kook posters*
OSHA is not a legislative body, so if yer question is about laws. The finger gets point to Pelosi.

Honestly, we will; be better off if we leave Pelosi out of this. We need science:

science
[ˈsīəns]

NOUN

the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

Raoul_Luke

I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.
If they would require the companies to provide N95 masks, which protect the wearer, to employees who are forced to work in groups, or with the public, that would likely have passed muster. Why is it that every lefty "solution" involves controlling the behaviors of virtually everyone, instead of effective solutions that place the onus on the individuals who desire "protection?"

Bugsy McGurk

President
Because OSHA is being forced to mandates by politicians and not scientists.

CDC warns loosely woven cloth masks are 'least protective' against COVID
2h ago
CDC warns loosely woven cloth masks are 'least protective' against COVID (msn.com)

I have heard OSHA people talk about masks, not just cloth, but everything up to N95 masks...But lefty and their politicians have completely ignored OSHA.
The only “politicians” involved in this story are the SCOTUS wingers who think they know better than the scientists so they made a different policy decision. Which they are not supposed to do, obviously. Judicial activism at its worst.

Bugsy McGurk

President
OSHA is not a legislative body, so if yer question is about laws. The finger gets point to Pelosi.

Honestly, we will; be better off if we leave Pelosi out of this. We need science:

science
[ˈsīəns]

NOUN

the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.
The laws creating and enabling OSHA govern what OSHA can do. It’s called enabling legislation. This seems to be news to you. Now you know.

And no law that I know of distinguishes between protecting workers from toxins and protecting workers from viruses.

Bugsy McGurk

President
If they would require the companies to provide N95 masks, which protect the wearer, to employees who are forced to work in groups, or with the public, that would likely have passed muster. Why is it that every lefty "solution" involves controlling the behaviors of virtually everyone, instead of effective solutions that place the onus on the individuals who desire "protection?"
Actually, that was the government’s “fallback position” but the SCOTUS wingers slapped it down. After all, they view their role as making policy to carry out the GOP’s pro-Covid agenda.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Why can’t you realize that you have no power to decree such things? You must point to a law supporting the distinction you advance. And as I told you, and you ignored, the reg did not force vaccines in any event.

Anyway, the question I posed stands unanswered.

Telling.
Honestly, I could give a shit anymore what you think. Osha doesn't hold the power..states do

So, all these deaths rest on the states and companies that didn't ..

Bugsy McGurk

President
Honestly, I could give a shit anymore what you think. Osha doesn't hold the power..states do

So, all these deaths rest on the states and companies that didn't ..
It’s your prerogative not to give a shit. But some of us object to the “judicial legislating” by the SCOTUS wingers. And my question reveals that is exactly what they are doing - OSHA has the authority under its enabling legislation to do what they did, and the SCOTUS wingers chose to bigfoot them and substitute the policy preferences of the GOP.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
It’s your prerogative not to give a shit. But some of us object to the “judicial legislating” by the SCOTUS wingers. And my question reveals that is exactly what they are doing - OSHA has the authority under its enabling legislation to do what they did, and the SCOTUS wingers chose to bigfoot them and substitute the policy preferences of the GOP.
Wasn't judicial legislating no matter how many times you say it. It was a correct assessment of the powers granted OSHA. It does not have that authority. Meanwhile, the states did all along.

All along ...that must gall you...all those deaths they allowed

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
Congress established OSHA.

OSHA's Mission
With the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970, Congress created the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) to ensure safe and healthful working conditions for workers by setting and enforcing standards and by providing training, outreach, education and assistance.