• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Why must we become either a theoacary or commie hellhole????

So there is no source to prove Franklin ever stated this, there are various people from the modern day that attribute it to Franklin, yet not one single source to verify it. There are sources that claim Jefferson stated it, but again no verifiable source to prove either said it.

You really should learn to research much better or, at the very least, quote verifiable quotes in their context.
Kochist Jackboots Clicking Their Heels

The other quote by Franklin, "(We have) a republic. if you can keep it" is also taken out of context by the enemies of democracy. He was asked whether the Framers had given us a monarchy or a republic, so he wasn't distinguishing between a republic and democracy, like the elitist Selfists always claim. Before the New Left and its hidden twin, the Aynal Randies, took over in the 1960s, the only people who preached that "We live in a republic, not a democracy" were the foaming-at-the-mouth fascists of the wacko John Birch Society.

Liquid Reigns

Council Member

The other quote by Franklin, "(We have) a republic. if you can keep it" is also taken out of context by the enemies of democracy. He was asked whether the Framers had given us a monarchy or a republic, so he wasn't distinguishing between a republic and democracy, like the elitist Selfists always claim. Before the New Left and its hidden twin, the Aynal Randies, took over in the 1960s, the only people who preached that "We live in a republic, not a democracy" were the foaming-at-the-mouth fascists of the wacko John Birch Society.
I like this comparison the best based on that very quote:

A Democracy: Three wolves and a sheep voting on dinner.

A Republic: The flock gets to vote for which wolves vote on dinner.​

Either way, democracy is a form of voting that even a Republic acknowledges.

TheResister

Council Member

I don't need quotes that we would argue over when the Constitution suffices.

Article 4 Section 4 of the Constitution reads:

"The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government..."

When you recite the Pledge of Allegiance, it is to a Republic.

I could cite founding fathers on the intent of what form of government we were to be. For example:

"In the first place, it is to be remembered, that the general government is not to be charged with the whole power of making and administering laws: its jurisdiction is limited to certain enumerated objects, which concern all the members of the republic, but which are not to be attained by the separate provisions of any."

(James Madison, Federalist Papers # 14)

TheResister

Council Member
No, he attributed it to the smartest American that ever lived to accentuate the content of the quote.

I know that Liquid Reigns is shadowing me at all times. This is one place where he has not yet been banned for his antics - and most of the time against me individually.

IF I had a grudge as big as Liquid Reigns, I'd give the guy on the other end a fighting chance by calling him out in private. If I were Liquid Reigns, I'd be telling his enemies to name the time and the place. But he won't. As an anonymous poster taking advantage of the Witness Protection Program, this is the way Reigns chooses to lash out.

After I responded to him the last time, I put him on ignore. But, I did want to respond to your post. I did make the comment I did because I believe in the truthfulness of it. Apparently we cannot prove who said it, so I deliberately allowed Liquid Reigns to step into that trap. Now you know. He's more interested in being able to use the word "inane" because it's the only one his vocabulary is capable of.

Reigns believes in nothing and never puts his lack of ideology on the boards. He only lives to follow others around and pretend to be superior in every way. He isn't.

Liquid Reigns

Council Member
I don't need quotes that we would argue over when the Constitution suffices.

Article 4 Section 4 of the Constitution reads:

"The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government..."

When you recite the Pledge of Allegiance, it is to a Republic.

I could cite founding fathers on the intent of what form of government we were to be. For example:

"In the first place, it is to be remembered, that the general government is not to be charged with the whole power of making and administering laws: its jurisdiction is limited to certain enumerated objects, which concern all the members of the republic, but which are not to be attained by the separate provisions of any."

(James Madison, Federalist Papers # 14)
Wow, Madison used the word "republic", so you think that justifies your previous claims? LMFAO

The Pledge of Allegiance was adopted by Congress in 1945, after several different renditions.

Do you even know what a Republican form of govt is?

A Democracy: Three wolves and a sheep voting on dinner.

A Republic: The flock gets to vote for which wolves vote on dinner.

Either way, democracy is a form of voting that even a Republic acknowledges.

Last edited:

TheResister

Council Member
I came across an interesting article laying out the fundamental differences between a constitutional Republic and a democracy. Here is a quote from the article:

"The critical difference lies in the fact that a Constitutional Republic has a Constitution that limits the powers of the government. It also spells out how the government is structured, creating checks on its power and balancing power between the different branches."

http://www.stopthenorthamericanunion.com/NotDemocracy.html

In my mind, some differences Americans have, were best expressed by the founding fathers. One such quote goes like this:

"The Constitution preserves "the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison of Virginia, The Federalist, No. 46)

Our form of government (that is the legal / de jure constitutional Republic) maintains that unalienable Rights are NOT within the jurisdiction of government and above the law. Not many nations (if any) provide for an unalienable Right to own property, worship according to the dictates of one's conscience and the Right to tell it's elected leaders what one thinks of them.

And I guess that is where those of us actually discussing this will leave the subject.

Liquid Reigns

Council Member
I came across an interesting article laying out the fundamental differences between a constitutional Republic and a democracy. Here is a quote from the article:

"The critical difference lies in the fact that a Constitutional Republic has a Constitution that limits the powers of the government. It also spells out how the government is structured, creating checks on its power and balancing power between the different branches."

http://www.stopthenorthamericanunion.com/NotDemocracy.html
Why is it you always leave out the best parts of quotes, the ones that change their context and place them into the very context of what the author is stating?
Here is the beginning of your quote:
A Constitutional Republic has some similarities to democracy in that it uses democratic processes to elect representatives and pass new laws, etc. The critical difference lies in the fact that a Constitutional Republic has a Constitution that limits the powers of the government. It also spells out how the government is structured, creating checks on its power and balancing power between the different branches.​

The best way to explain the difference between a Democracy and a Republic is as follows:

In a Democracy the Majority is unlimited, the individual and the minority lack any legal safeguards or rights.

In a Republic the Majority is limited, where in a Constitution safeguards and protects the rights of the individual and the minority.