• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

WikiLeaks Founder Julian Assange

Should Wikileaks founder Julian Assange face criminal charges for his actions?

• Yes - if they prove he illegally obtained info

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • Yes - regardless of how he obtained the info

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Not Sure/Don't Know

Votes: 9 16.4%

• Total voters

Chris

Council Member
I watched 60 minutes last night and they interviewed Julian Assange. He was a very strange but interesting person. What are your opinions about what his organization did? His background is a computer hacker but yet he claims that all the information they released was voluntarily given to them from random sources. Should he and his organization be punished?

Here is the wikipedia page about wikileaks for more info:

WikiLeaks

Bruce

Council Member
Very strange indeed! If he's releasing info that's endangering the security of the country by all means prosecute him regardless of how he obtained it. Any american know's what is right and wrong as far as releasing info. If he's not that bright then send him to hell.

degsme

Council Member
It all depends on WHICH "illegal" act is claimed. if its crap like the DMCA or similar, then that's crap. If it is his actually soliciting and paying for treasonous acts - that's a different question. Then the question becomes whether or not there was material harm intended and caused, or was it a release of information marked "secret" that really should have been in the public domain.

I watched 60 minutes last night and they interviewed Julian Assange. He was a very strange but interesting person. What are your opinions about what his organization did? His background is a computer hacker but yet he claims that all the information they released was voluntarily given to them from random sources. Should he and his organization be punished?

WikiLeaks
Yes, regardless of how he got the information, knowing it was clasified her should have turned it over to the proper athorities instead of publishing it.

NightSwimmer

Senator
Very strange indeed! If he's releasing info that's endangering the security of the country by all means prosecute him regardless of how he obtained it. Any american know's what is right and wrong as far as releasing info. If he's not that bright then send him to hell.
He's not an American, is he? How could he have committed treason against America if he isn't an American?

Spamature

President

WikiLeaks
Who has the right to prosecute him ? If he didn't commit a crime in a country were it was considered a crime and is not a citizen of the country that considers what he did a crime. Then what do they have on him ?

If an American in America revealed Iran's nuclear secrets. Would Iran have the right to prosecute that person ?

Spamature

President
It all depends on WHICH "illegal" act is claimed. if its crap like the DMCA or similar, then that's crap. If it is his actually soliciting and paying for treasonous acts - that's a different question. Then the question becomes whether or not there was material harm intended and caused, or was it a release of information marked "secret" that really should have been in the public domain.
We gave the Iraqis trying to bring down Saddam's regime prior to the war $150 million. Does that mean anyone involved should have been prosecuted.

Figjam

Mayor
...no, the keepers of the information need to do a couple things. They need to declassify much of this "secret" BS. Far too much is classified. Then they need to do a better job of protecting a smaller volume of data - do a better job with classified personnel and stop putting junior people who do not fully understand the implications of these releases, in charge of the data...

Number_58

I'm one of the deplorables lefty warns you about.
If he obtained them by violating international law, then yes, he and his organization should be punished. If on the other hand, all he's done is violate American law...no, he shouldn't be punished unless he enters our country of his own volition..then the US government can remove their gloves and do what the law allows.

gabriel

Governor
so any american that violates the law of another country even if not done inside that country shud be prosecuted by that country??

NightSwimmer

Senator
If he obtained them by violating international law, then yes, he and his organization should be punished. If on the other hand, all he's done is violate American law...no, he shouldn't be punished unless he enters our country of his own volition..then the US government can remove their gloves and do what the law allows.
So then, international law is a good thing... sometimes?

Days

Commentator
astounding ignorance... the whole idea behind wiki-Leaks was to put up a structure for the people to use. That is no different than what the world's media does every day.

Spamature

President
Wait a second. He EXPOSED violations of international law. So does that mean you think the perpetrators he exposed should be prosecuted ?

What if someone releases information that reveals a plan that would endanger the security of the nation by those trying to hide it? What's the origin and intent behind the issue of free speech? If someone is lying to the general public and someone else can reveal how they are, the person lying has an interest in making sure their lie or any other treachery is not revealed.

My feeling is there should be not carte blanche for any side of this coin to proceed without accountability. Just because something is deemed to be classified information does not mean it is in the interest of the security of the nation. It might just as easily be in the interest of those doing things most of the population of the nation would deem unscrupulous and a threat to them from within.

Not sure how you balance the two, but I wouldn't necesarily jump right in and say all revealing of classified information is all evil and a threat to national security, all information that is classified has the nation's interest or security in mind.

As individuals, who wouldn't feel embarassed or angry to have something they did that was unscrupulous revealed and want to kill the messenger? Those harmed by any unscrupulous acts would probably be interested to know who harmed them, how and why.

I guess I would say it is not a one way street, perhaps why my parents stressed that keeping secrets was not a recommended idea.

If you don't want someone to find out you have done something, don't do that something.

Certainly I understand there are some things which create a dilemma with regard to what harm might be caused by revealing them versus what harm might be harmed by not revealing them or "secrets" which are pretty much benign and harmful regardless of whether revealed or not, such as a surprise party for someone.

If one is going to be prosecuted for violating international laws about revealing information, if the information revealed international laws were broken, those who broke them should also be held accountble for their actions.

Council Member
If he committed a crime while not on American land, did not invade the govt of the USA facilities then what has he done. If someone gives you information that was taken from the Iran govt would it be a crime that you should be arrested for?

No, he did nothing more than expose how corrupt our govt has been and what kind of BS they are involved in without knowledge to our people.

Council Member
If someone could find the govt notes on the Bush/Chaney energy policy committee, I will be happy to release that information if you can get it to me, and I don't even want to know who you are, I will take all the heat.

Days

Commentator
He didn't expose anything... he set up a wiki forum for us to do that to ourselves and our own citizens did that. The military considers that enemy action, but he didn't break any of our LAWS.

Citizen

Council Member

WikiLeaks
Thank God for Assange, we need more people & more sites like him & his. When we really get transparent, we will find we all get along better & there will much less strife & war in the world.