• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

WikiLeaks Founder Julian Assange

Should Wikileaks founder Julian Assange face criminal charges for his actions?

• Yes - if they prove he illegally obtained info

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • Yes - regardless of how he obtained the info

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Not Sure/Don't Know

Votes: 9 16.4%

• Total voters
D

Doc

IF he obtained this info, illegally, then, he needs to be charged.

IF he got this info from someone else, who got it illegally, then THEY need to be charged.

IF no laws were broken, then, those in charge of PROTECTING this intel, need their asses fired, and any retirement/benefits ceased upon termination.

That said, personally, I wish that the CIA would simply release every single detail of Assange's PERSONAL INFO....certainly, never ADMIT to such, simply do it, and let him face some of his own medicine...(and YES, I think, if the CIA did that, such would be "Illegal...")

Still...such folks as Assange LOVE to play games, for which, they have nothing to lose.....

Corruptbuddha

Governor
No, I don't think he falls under American jurisdiction. Having said that, I think that Bradley Manning should be shot.

Posthaste.

Corruptbuddha

Governor
do a better job with classified personnel and stop putting junior people who do not fully understand the implications of these releases
Total bull. I was a Third Class Petty Officer (around 19 years old) when I was first held responsible for securing classified documents of varying degrees. Classified, Secret and Top Secret. I knew damn well the 'implications' of their being released. It never happened on my watch because I was thoroughly briefed and trained. Of course, it also never happened because I loved my nation and didn't want to see any of my fellow service members hurt due to my negligence or, worse, outright sedition.

Manning is a scumbag traitor who should be stood up against a wall and shot for betraying his nation and his fellow citizens.

BitterPill

The Shoe Cometh
Supporting Member
I watched 60 minutes last night and they interviewed Julian Assange. He was a very strange but interesting person. What are your opinions about what his organization did? His background is a computer hacker but yet he claims that all the information they released was voluntarily given to them from random sources. Should he and his organization be punished?

Here is the wikipedia page about wikileaks for more info:

WikiLeaks
I'm not sure we have jurisdiction over Assange.

Total bull. I was a Third Class Petty Officer (around 19 years old) when I was first held responsible for securing classified documents of varying degrees. Classified, Secret and Top Secret. I knew damn well the 'implications' of their being released. It never happened on my watch because I was thoroughly briefed and trained. Of course, it also never happened because I loved my nation and didn't want to see any of my fellow service members hurt due to my negligence or, worse, outright sedition.

Manning is a scumbag traitor who should be stood up against a wall and shot for betraying his nation and his fellow citizens.
Totally correct CB. One of the first jobs I had after coming out of the service was the destruction of outdated classified documents. As one of three armed people who would load the documents into a van, drive them to the burn site and making sure they were totally destroyed by burning them three times, the crew I was on never had a document go missing in the two years I did this work.

Huskyoverlord

Council Member
Who has the right to prosecute him ? If he didn't commit a crime in a country were it was considered a crime and is not a citizen of the country that considers what he did a crime. Then what do they have on him ?

If an American in America revealed Iran's nuclear secrets. Would Iran have the right to prosecute that person ?
on that logic we would all be arrested for crimes committed , I guess Iran would have the right to kill american gays because it is punishable by death in Iran , which side of the road should we drive on to not get a ticket or is it just fair game and they can haul you in for anything?

Huskyoverlord

Council Member
If you as the government do something real shady and off the books why the hell would you tell anyone or write it down? As far as whistle blower protection there is none in this country and i take it as a direct attack to the first amendment to not allow the freedom of info.

fairsheet

Senator
Personally, I'm gratified that neither Assange nor Manning appear to be getting much support these days - especially as compared with what they were getting at the outset. I think that the more time people have had to think this one through, the more they realize that it shouldn't be driven by who we think's partisan ox is being gored.