• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Wow! Trump is directing DOJ to retaliate against CNN?

EatTheRich

President
Is the acquisition of one corporate behemoth (Time Warner) by another (AT&T) a net positive for consumers?

Yeah, Trump looks corrupt here, but let's be honest ... antitrust law is by necessity vague and its application arbitrary ... and Trump's is not the first administration to try to leverage regulatory power into favorable coverage.

Bugsy McGurk

President
Nothing wrong with that as long as it is demonstrably legal and reflecting legitimate concerns. Ask Obama.
As we sink lower and lower, with Trump sycophants supporting Trump's retaliation against a news media outlet that does not praise him 24/7.

Even banana republics will laugh at us soon.

business analysts were predicting - months ago - that the merger would necessarily involve some sort of divestiture, per existing FCC guidelines on consolidation of broadcast licenses/bandwidth/outlets. This has nothing to with trump.

enclosed is a link outlining pre-existing (Obama era and prior) rules which prohibit a media company from using acquisitions to expand beyond a 39% cap on number of total American households it controls/supplies.

happy self-education!

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/fccs-review-broadcast-ownership-rules

Arkady

President
Sure looks that way. Blocking a merger because CNN does not provide Fox Noise-like slavish coverage of Trump.

If this banana republican move is pinned on Trump, it will be too much Trumpstench for the GOP to tolerate, no?

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/08/media/att-time-warner/index.html
At this point, I'm not willing to jump to the conclusion that there's any wrongful interference by the political arm of the Trump administration. On paper, the head of the anti-trust division, Makan Delrahim, looks more like a technocrat than a Trump loyalist. He had the Deputy AG role for the antitrust division for a couple years under Bush, so he's basically just doing the same job another step up the career ladder. He's definitely a Republican and a bit of a political animal, having had a role in pushing Gorsuch through, but he got a 73-21 approval vote in the Senate for his nomination to the current role, which suggests there wasn't a whole lot of controversy about it. Those who objected to his nomination did so not on the basis of any question of his ability to be independent from Trump, but rather simply because his prior lobbying on behalf of merging companies suggested his ideology would make him overly friendly to mergers.

Given how bad the "Trumpstench" is, I think it's fair to look extra hard into the question of whether there's some double-standard going against CNN, and especially whether there's partisan political pressure being brought to bear. But, so far, I'm willing to give this one the benefit of the doubt.

Bugsy McGurk

President
At this point, I'm not willing to jump to the conclusion that there's any wrongful interference by the political arm of the Trump administration. On paper, the head of the anti-trust division, Makan Delrahim, looks more like a technocrat than a Trump loyalist. He had the Deputy AG role for the antitrust division for a couple years under Bush, so he's basically just doing the same job another step up the career ladder. He's definitely a Republican and a bit of a political animal, having had a role in pushing Gorsuch through, but he got a 73-21 approval vote in the Senate for his nomination to the current role, which suggests there wasn't a whole lot of controversy about it. Those who objected to his nomination did so not on the basis of any question of his ability to be independent from Trump, but rather simply because his prior lobbying on behalf of merging companies suggested his ideology would make him overly friendly to mergers.

Given how bad the "Trumpstench" is, I think it's fair to look extra hard into the question of whether there's some double-standard going against CNN, and especially whether there's partisan political pressure being brought to bear. But, so far, I'm willing to give this one the benefit of the doubt.
We shall see. Typically, Republicans have never seen a mega-merger they didn't like. I smell Trumpstench, in the form of Trump directing the DOJ to retaliate against CNN and its owners. I hope we can get to the bottom of it.