• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Leaving for Europe tomorrow. Can't wait to see

Barbella

Senator
whats changed these last few years since I've been there. Can't wait to read local newspapers and watch local news, see what's different from what we see and read here (if anything).

Mostly, I'm really looking forward to talking with people who actually LIVE in Norway, The Netherlands, Germany, and Italy. I know folks in every one of those countries well enough to have a candid conversation about, well, pretty much anything.

It'll be interesting. I'll let you know what they said when I get back.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
whats changed these last few years since I've been there. Can't wait to read local newspapers and watch local news, see what's different from what we see and read here (if anything).

Mostly, I'm really looking forward to talking with people who actually LIVE in Norway, The Netherlands, Germany, and Italy. I know folks in every one of those countries well enough to have a candid conversation about, well, pretty much anything.

I just got back from two weeks in Italy and Greece. Don't ask about Trump...you'll not like their answers.

Arkady

President

I've got people in Austria, Germany, Italy, France, and the UK who are close enough that I can talk politics frankly with them. What's fascinating is the huge gulf between the image portrayed in the US press (Europe in chaos, overrun by Muslims), and the political conversation of those actual Europeans (basically, horror-struck by the turn the US has taken under Trump).

Zam-Zam

Senator

I lived in Italy (Sicily) for two-and-a-half years, really enjoyed my time there. I think it's my favorite country in Europe, although I've only been to about a dozen or so. I know you'll have a great time.

I miss the food. Mangia!

Barbella

Senator
I've got people in Austria, Germany, Italy, France, and the UK who are close enough that I can talk politics frankly with them. What's fascinating is the huge gulf between the image portrayed in the US press (Europe in chaos, overrun by Muslims), and the political conversation of those actual Europeans (basically, horror-struck by the turn the US has taken under Trump).
And yet, people in all of those countries seem to be veering to the right in recent elections. Even in Germany...

Fascinating indeed.

Barbella

Senator
I lived in Italy (Sicily) for two-and-a-half years, really enjoyed my time there. I think it's my favorite country in Europe, although I've only been to about a dozen or so. I know you'll have a great time.

I miss the food. Mangia!
I've been to Italy, but never made it to Sicily. Always wanted to, but it just wasn't in the cards...

I love Italy, adore the language...

Arkady

President
I just got back from two weeks in Italy and Greece. Don't ask about Trump...you'll not like their answers.
I'm on friendly terms with a family that lives in Le Marche, Italy -- my aunt is the godmother of one of their kids and my mother is the godmother of the other. My experiences with them are similar to what it sounds like you're saying. When the topic of Trump comes up, they talk to me like I'm at the center of an historical incident of mass hysteria and maybe I can shed some light on what is driving the lunacy. When it comes to Italy, though, they don't see themselves as being in any kind of emergency, despite being the forefront of the refugee crisis. Mostly, life in Italy is as it has been for decades -- a mix of the Bella Vita, and low-grade government corruption and ineptitude.

Zam-Zam

Senator
I've been to Italy, but never made it to Sicily. Always wanted to, but it just wasn't in the cards...
Taormina is nice. And there's a lot of history in places like Segesta and Agrigento.

If you have the time, you can actually get there by rail out of Rome. When the train reaches Calabria, they take it apart in sections, load it on a barge, and sail over to Messina where they reassemble it. It's quite an interesting operation.

Arkady

President
And yet, people in all of those countries seem to be veering to the right in recent elections. Even in Germany...

Fascinating indeed.
Yes. The right is enticing for old people, and all those countries are quite old, demographically. In Germany, the median age is 46.8. In Italy, it's 45.1. In Austria, 43.8. By comparison, our median is just 37.9 in the US. This is just the US, but other countries have followed similar paths, just shifted upwards from us:

As people get older, their IQs start to drop and they become worse and worse at learning new things. This pushes people to the right, since resisting change is a coping mechanism for not being able to adapt to change very well.

Arkady

President
Taormina is nice. And there's a lot of history in places like Segesta and Agrigento.

If you have the time, you can actually get there by rail out of Rome. When the train reaches Calabria, they take it apart in sections, load it on a barge, and sail over to Messina where they reassemble it. It's quite an interesting operation.
I've been to Taormina twice. I love the Greco-Roman theater and the walk up to it.

Zam-Zam

Senator
I've been to Taormina twice. I love the Greco-Roman theater and the walk up to it.
Taormina used to be one of my weekend getaways. I was single then, and it offered some attractive nightlife.

'Teatro-Greco'. They still do performances there, or at least did when I was there. It was built to last.

Barbella

Senator
Yes. The right is enticing for old people, and all those countries are quite old, demographically. In Germany, the median age is 46.8. In Italy, it's 45.1. In Austria, 43.8. By comparison, our median is just 37.9 in the US. This is just the US, but other countries have followed similar paths, just shifted upwards from us:

As people get older, their IQs start to drop and they become worse and worse at learning new things. This pushes people to the right, since resisting change is a coping mechanism for not being able to adapt to change very well.
Lolol. Very funny. You're telling me that 46-year-olds are dumber than 20-year-olds?

The truth is that life has shown them that leftists are despicable people who care about nothing and no one except their own version of Orwell's vision.

Bugsy McGurk

President

Be prepared to accept condolences for us having a lunatic president.

;-)

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member

Enjoy. I'm going to Louisiana in 10 days. :D