• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Should taxpayers have a say in public union contracts?

Bluedog

Mayor
From Governor Walkers budget bill:

Total wage increases could not exceed a cap based on inflation unless approved by referendum. Contracts would be limited to one year and wages would be frozen until a new contract is settled.

Read more: http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/article_3d93e6aa-363a-11e0-8493-001cc4c002e0.html#ixzz1xWcDbFm6

I understand on a federal level this would not be a good idea. However,

Is it reasonable for the local/state electorate to have a voice regarding contracts that their tax dollars have to pay for?

In my opinion it is.

Thoughts?

fairsheet

Senator

Total wage increases could not exceed a cap based on inflation unless approved by referendum. Contracts would be limited to one year and wages would be frozen until a new contract is settled.

Read more: http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/article_3d93e6aa-363a-11e0-8493-001cc4c002e0.html#ixzz1xWcDbFm6

Is it reasonable for the local/state electorate to have a voice regarding contracts that their tax dollars have to pay for?

In my opinion it is.

Thoughts?
A linked question might be...should shareholders have a voice in what a company's employees are paid? From top to bottom?

Spamature

President

In my opinion it is.

Thoughts?
Would you ask if they should have a say in every contract govt enters into ?

How about defense contracts or contracts with private businesses who supply or service the govt ?

What if you worked for a company that got a govt contract and I thought your wages and benefits were too high and a bad deal for the taxpayer because it was more than what I make doing the same thing for another company.

Should I be able to vote on what you should get paid ?

Or do we elect people to do those things ?

Zam-Zam

Senator

In my opinion it is.

Thoughts?

Since those wages are paid for by the taxpayer, letting taxpayers have a say in the matter does not sound unreasonable to me. I seem to remember reading something about "Taxation without representation" being a bad thing......

fairsheet

Senator
Since those wages are paid for by the taxpayer, letting taxpayers have a say in the matter does not sound unreasonable to me. I seem to remember reading something about "Taxation without representation" being a bad thing......
Zam....dodge-diverted from my question, as did the top-poster. Imagine that.

Bluedog

Mayor
Would you ask if they should have a say in every contract govt enters into ?

How about defense contracts or contracts with private businesses who supply or service the govt ?

What if you worked for a company that got a govt contract and I thought your wages and benefits were too high and a bad deal for the taxpayer because it was more than what I make doing the same thing for another company.

Should I be able to vote on what you should get paid ?

Or do we elect people to do those things ?

Not sure if it could be made workable. What Walker did is workable. Unless you disagree?

connieb

Senator
Why not? Should it be law - no because it is private enterprise. Can a company do that? Yes - certainly. And, I would say in closer held companies that is exactly what happens. The majority shareholders do have a say in the employee salaries.

connie

connieb

Senator
I don't disagree with the referendum. But, to be honest, I would prefer to see it as a vote on a budget for salaries. For instance, if you are the town and you have three office employees and the wages are set for $30K each. And, one of your employees leaves, and the two that are left pick up the load - I would like the employer to be able to bonus those employees ( which comes out as salary) for their extra effort. Or what if they replace the worker who had been there with for ten years with a kid right out of HS. When that person gets up to speed, I would think they may be entitled to a merit increase in their salary.

So, within the framwork of a budget for salaries, I would like the invididual managers and supervisors to have some discretion to reward employees for excellent service or for advancements or extra effort, etc without that having to be on a referendum. I would support the people voting on an increase to the budget for salaries overall - but I would like managers to have the discretion on how to best allocate that money.

Additionally, I just don't agree with across the board raises. At some point you stop improving your contribution to the entity. At that point - a cost of living increase may be approrpriate, but you certainly don't deserve even more of a raise just because you logged another year. So, I don't know how you could give good employees raises, without raising the worn out ones just putting in their years, if there wasn't some managerial discretion.

connie

fairsheet

Senator
Why not? Should it be law - no because it is private enterprise. Can a company do that? Yes - certainly. And, I would say in closer held companies that is exactly what happens. The majority shareholders do have a say in the employee salaries.

connie
Your allusion to "private" is a useless dodge, unless you can explain how "public" and "private" are different in this specific case of "owners" (taxpayers OR shareholders) having a say in their worker's compensation.

I think you're probably relying on your ideological feeling that in the case of public, we "can" do it and in the case of private, we "can't". BUT that completely avoids the question of "why". If all one has to go on is that the taxpayer should determine the nuance of exactly how state employees are compenstated because the taxpayer can, and the shareholder in a private company shouldn't do it....because he can't, you ain't got much.

connieb

Senator
It is hardly a dodge. I didn't think I had to explain how government and private enterprise are different. Most of us are educated people on this board, I would have thought the majority would understand such a basic difference.

The shareholders certainly and and should have a say in how their employees are compensated. And, as I pointed out in privately held enterprises they largely do. Practically speaking however, I think that the average shareholder is less vested in the salaries of those who are employed in the companies they are invested in for a myriad of reasons. For one, they may not have enough of an investment in the business that it is immaterial to them, or in the case of fund managers, may simply have no interest in being that involved, and the shareholders of their funds who are then shareholders of the enterprises, may not be shareholder's of record and therefore not entitled to even have a vote on anything period.

The thing that you are not addressing is frequently the Board that makes such determinations are actually made up of some of the largest stockholders. So in effect they are the ones making those determinations on salary - if nothing other than by approving a budget. And, certainly they are approving major compensation packages such as the president. So, yes they do in fact have a say and exercise that say.

Additionally the difference between government - which from a taxpayer is only a taker, versus a private enterprise in which you are invested is that - the private enterprise is making you money. So, IF you are making money and are happy with your rate of return you are less likely to care or question the costs that get you there. Because quite frankly, it doesn't matter. Now, if you are not happy with your rate of return or are loosing your investment, shareholders do generally have a say, and frequently oust the top management at least.

I have a handful of investments outside my retirement funds. As I pointed out legally speaking those shares of mine which are in funds are owned by the funds, not me, so it would be up to a fund manager to exercise any voting rights they may have. Which they don't. So lets concentrate on my personal investments. Of my individually owned stocks, no one investement in any one company is material in anyway to my net worth. So, if my $200 in Diebold goes down the tubes... quite frankly I don't give a shit. So, even if I did have a say in the salaries of employees. I wouldn't bother to execise any voting rights.

Last year, my husband and I paid about $15,000 in state income taxes. That is material to me. So, if I had the right to vote to keep costs down, by voting to not increase salaries, I would be interested in casting such a vote. Would I determine that these are hard working people and therefore deserving of a raise. Possibly. But, in my experience, that is not how Government employees have performed ( outside of those in essential services such as police and fire). So, quite honestly, it comes down into the portion of my income or net worth invested in the enterprise - be it by paying taxes, or by invested in stock. And, when that amount rises to the material amount - I am more interested in voting on things that directly affect my tax bill. And, salaries are quite a large chunck of that bill.

And, as I previously mentioned - the majority of stockholders do get some say in salaries - if not for the top most people then certainly as a chance to vote on a budget for salaries. Which I think I explained in a previous post, would be a preferable option to me rather than setting individual salaries.

connie

Ginnie

Council Member

In my opinion it is.

Thoughts?
I would rather we have a say in the compensation pakages of the companies we spent over 700 billion bailing out. We paid the bill, we should get to say who makes what.

fairsheet

Senator
It is hardly a dodge. I didn't think I had to explain how government and private enterprise are different. Most of us are educated people on this board, I would have thought the majority would understand such a basic difference.

The shareholders certainly and and should have a say in how their employees are compensated. And, as I pointed out in privately held enterprises they largely do. Practically speaking however, I think that the average shareholder is less vested in the salaries of those who are employed in the companies they are invested in for a myriad of reasons. For one, they may not have enough of an investment in the business that it is immaterial to them, or in the case of fund managers, may simply have no interest in being that involved, and the shareholders of their funds who are then shareholders of the enterprises, may not be shareholder's of record and therefore not entitled to even have a vote on anything period.

The thing that you are not addressing is frequently the Board that makes such determinations are actually made up of some of the largest stockholders. So in effect they are the ones making those determinations on salary - if nothing other than by approving a budget. And, certainly they are approving major compensation packages such as the president. So, yes they do in fact have a say and exercise that say.

Additionally the difference between government - which from a taxpayer is only a taker, versus a private enterprise in which you are invested is that - the private enterprise is making you money. So, IF you are making money and are happy with your rate of return you are less likely to care or question the costs that get you there. Because quite frankly, it doesn't matter. Now, if you are not happy with your rate of return or are loosing your investment, shareholders do generally have a say, and frequently oust the top management at least.

I have a handful of investments outside my retirement funds. As I pointed out legally speaking those shares of mine which are in funds are owned by the funds, not me, so it would be up to a fund manager to exercise any voting rights they may have. Which they don't. So lets concentrate on my personal investments. Of my individually owned stocks, no one investement in any one company is material in anyway to my net worth. So, if my $200 in Diebold goes down the tubes... quite frankly I don't give a shit. So, even if I did have a say in the salaries of employees. I wouldn't bother to execise any voting rights.

Last year, my husband and I paid about $15,000 in state income taxes. That is material to me. So, if I had the right to vote to keep costs down, by voting to not increase salaries, I would be interested in casting such a vote. Would I determine that these are hard working people and therefore deserving of a raise. Possibly. But, in my experience, that is not how Government employees have performed ( outside of those in essential services such as police and fire). So, quite honestly, it comes down into the portion of my income or net worth invested in the enterprise - be it by paying taxes, or by invested in stock. And, when that amount rises to the material amount - I am more interested in voting on things that directly affect my tax bill. And, salaries are quite a large chunck of that bill.

And, as I previously mentioned - the majority of stockholders do get some say in salaries - if not for the top most people then certainly as a chance to vote on a budget for salaries. Which I think I explained in a previous post, would be a preferable option to me rather than setting individual salaries.

connie
Your entire byte-dump simply affirmed my gist. If you were 1/10th as clever as you seem to feel you are, you could've condensed your spew down to a coupla sentences.