• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Suspending kids from school

Boltlady

Mayor
The kids that bullied the elderly lady on the school bus were given community service to do, but it's being announced that they were also given a one year suspension from school. To me that is one of the dumbest things imaginable. That opinion applies whether it's for a few days or like in this case for a whole year. School boards have been meting out this type of 'punishment' for as many years as I can remember, and that's quite a few.

These are supposed to be people who understand what is best for kids. They really don't seem to remember what it's like to be one.

We as adults understand the value of education. We know what a privilege it is to get that as a matter of course. To a kid it's a bunch of work, much of which they see no need for (when will I ever need to know that?). Kids who are troublemakers look for all kinds of ways to get out of going to school. Along comes the principal or school board that 'rewards' them for bad behavior with the cherished time off. A kid that is set back a whole year is certainly not a good candidate to complete their school requirements.

Instead, there must be some sort of punishment that will not only make them work harder for a time, but could include a form of community service that could really get their attention. Instead, these same educators are pretty lax on the types of community service that they require.

These are kids that definitely need a firmer hand, not more freedom.

NightSwimmer

Senator
Local activist parents have been encouraged to take over school boards and shove zero-tolerance policies down the throats of the administrators. We were better off when education professionals quietly sought and held these seats. These activist usurpers inevitably tend to be authoritarian wing-nuts.

From what I heard of this incident is that, although these kids have been thrown out of the school that they currently attending, they will be going to an alternative school duirng the suspension period. IMO, these kids need to learn a lesson about bulling and performing community service was not enough punishment for what they did to that poor lady. Now that the parents of these little ingrates have to shuttle them back and forth to the school that will be going to, perhaps the parents will get more engages in the raising of their little hellions.

Forward with the Panhandler-in-Chief

Boltlady

Mayor
From what I heard of this incident is that, although these kids have been thrown out of the school that they currently attending, they will be going to an alternative school duirng the suspension period. IMO, these kids need to learn a lesson about bulling and performing community service was not enough punishment for what they did to that poor lady. Now that the parents of these little ingrates have to shuttle them back and forth to the school that will be going to, perhaps the parents will get more engages in the raising of their little hellions.
Unfortunately those alternative schools do not teach much. Those kids will still be behind whenever they go back to the regular school. Instead of improving, it's a good bet they'll get worse.

NightSwimmer

Senator
Unfortunately those alternative schools do not teach much. Those kids will still be behind whenever they go back to the regular school. Instead of improving, it's a good bet they'll get worse.
Who cares? So long as someone gets to taste sweet vengeance.

jammer

Mayor
So what is your solution BL? Some sort of corporal punishment? Maybe a good ass whupping? If so I think the parents of these hooligans should be bent over and given a whack for every one their kid gets. These children wouldn't be bullies if they weren't taught it at home, or at the least tolerated. THIS IS JUST ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF LAZY PARENTS DEMANDING THAT THE SCHOOL SSYTEM RAISE THEIR KIDS FOR THEM.

Boltlady

Mayor
So what is your solution BL? Some sort of corporal punishment? Maybe a good ass whupping? If so I think the parents of these hooligans should be bent over and given a whack for every one their kid gets. These children wouldn't be bullies if they weren't taught it at home, or at the least tolerated. THIS IS JUST ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF LAZY PARENTS DEMANDING THAT THE SCHOOL SSYTEM RAISE THEIR KIDS FOR THEM.
While there's no doubt that the parents tend to fall down on the job, sometimes they're just too overwhelmed to do a better job. When they can get work, both parents usually have jobs which leaves shopping, cleaning, laundry, etc. for them to do afterwards. Sometimes it's a single mother who really can be overwhelmed. Sometimes it doesn't matter how you try and raise the kid, they will do their own 'thing'.

The best punishment these days is to take all of their electronics away from them. That is real pain that will definitely get their attention. No cell phone? OMG!

WhistleBlower

Council Member
While there's no doubt that the parents tend to fall down on the job, sometimes they're just too overwhelmed to do a better job. When they can get work, both parents usually have jobs which leaves shopping, cleaning, laundry, etc. for them to do afterwards. Sometimes it's a single mother who really can be overwhelmed. Sometimes it doesn't matter how you try and raise the kid, they will do their own 'thing'.

The best punishment these days is to take all of their electronics away from them. That is real pain that will definitely get their attention. No cell phone? OMG!
the cell phone is nothing. put some restrictions on the kid's xbox if you really want to cause them pain.

WhistleBlower

Council Member
this from a guy that has no kids, never has, never will.
watching me pretty close there, stalker. only took a minute for you to come here and troll me in violation of the rules.

i'm an uncle to an awful lot of them and i live in a household with a five year old. i think i'm qualified to say that the child's video games would be a very harsh punishment.

gabriel

Governor
who said it wouldnt? and feel free to tell us how much time must elapse before a troll becomes a post!! lol

So we are to have pity on these little urgen and their parents and allow them to continue on their merry way into adulthood with no conesquences for their actions. Apparently neither the parents or the school system they were in, instilled any kind of moral code into the little beggars so now we are suppose to be sorry for them and give them a pat on the head and say don't do it again.

Boltlady

Mayor
So we are to have pity on these little urgen and their parents and allow them to continue on their merry way into adulthood with no conesquences for their actions. Apparently neither the parents or the school system they were in, instilled any kind of moral code into the little beggars so now we are suppose to be sorry for them and give them a pat on the head and say don't do it again.
Is that what I said? I sure wouldn't have had any idea without your explanation. My thought would be to have the alternative schools teach a lot more, be a lot stricter, and in general be a place where they wouldn't want to be placed. That would go a long way toward improving their behavior.

For the record, attempting to put words in my mouth that are contrary to what I've actually been saying, might make you feel good but it's not a way to make friends.

fairsheet

Senator
The dirty little secret underlying this whole media circus and the travails of this poor "sweepstakes winner" (thanks to video phones) is that in backs of most of our minds as we viewed that clip, was something akin to "there but for the grace of God", could've gone us at that age.

And yes...no doubt, these kids' language was way over the top. Shit...that language wouldn't have even occurred to me at that age! But...to join with the mob in picking on a fat old lady on the school bus....hey, I may be the only one to cop to it but...I'll do it anyway. It could've been me. Fortunately, I was raised better. I had the "fear of God" in me, as well as the fear of adult authority! But...if the "pack" was doin' it and I thought I wouldn't get caught? Who knows?

So....to see all this righteous handwringing and calling for adolescent heads on platters, is a little.....offputting.

Is that what I said? I sure wouldn't have had any idea without your explanation. My thought would be to have the alternative schools teach a lot more, be a lot stricter, and in general be a place where they wouldn't want to be placed. That would go a long way toward improving their behavior.

For the record, attempting to put words in my mouth that are contrary to what I've actually been saying, might make you feel good but it's not a way to make friends.
Dispite what you think, I was not trying to put words in you mouth. I was simply stating that these kids need more than just a slap on the wrist for what they did.

a1.bp.blogspot.com__RXKVjtRHGDY_S6yDxzY7OLI_AAAAAAAADus_0duBRdsiVSU_s1600_TortureDevices_e.jpg

They need some tough love -- that's what they need...

I'll leave those devices to the lefties here, they are the extremeists. I prefer to have them go to another school outside of their district where their parents have to transport them to and from every day. Than if that doesn't work we'll hand them over to you and you devices.