• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Top Ten Grammar Peeves:

fairsheet

Senator
I had a hard time between European Spanish and the dialects spoken in the southern hemisphere. I can't say it is based on conversing so much as it is swearing. ;-)

I love Roatan, Honduras and Belize. I never got to the Honduras mainland unfortunately.
I was interested to learn a few years back, that some city in Colombia - I assume it was Bogota, but I could be wrong - was chosen as THE World's "repository" as it were, for perfectly spoken Spanish. In any case....Hondurans speak Spanish at a "reasonable" pace and in a dialect that's sufficiently mainstream, that I can play along. I could never keep up, if I tried conversing with a Cuban or a Puerto Rican!

Judy1

Mayor
Ahh, I have to admit those bug the hell out of me too. My biggest pet peeve is made up words, like melty. Melty is not a word, dammit!
I have a co worker who thinks "supposably" is a word, I know she really means supposedly, but every time I hear her say supposably it grates! LOL!

Friday13

Governor
Bloody hell...when I went to school we had ink wells, and we used them !

(this edit was not due to grammar)

Friday13

Governor
I have been snowed-in in Ohio and New York (Rochester). I much prefer it here where I have to drive to the snow.

Friday13

Governor
I have a cousin who says "secutary" and "scithers", among other things. Then there's "nukewlar", and many, many others.

Lobato1

Mayor
My problem is remembering the "Who' "Whom" rules

He is someone who is a great guy. ("Who" is subject of the subordinate clause)

He is someone to whom I owe a great deal. ("I" is subject; "whom" is the object referring to the sentence subject he)

Bummer.

Best Regards
Lobato1

Jen

Senator
Yep, Lobato. That's one rule that I actually have to stop and recite in my mind before I write it. It's a toughie.

He is someone who is a great guy. ("Who" is subject of the subordinate clause)

He is someone to whom I owe a great deal. ("I" is subject; "whom" is the object referring to the sentence subject he)

Bummer.

Best Regards
Lobato1

BRU

Mayor
I have a cousin who says "secutary" and "scithers", among other things. Then there's "nukewlar", and many, many others.
I have a friend who botches words like that too, it drive me nuts. Some of her favorites..... cluth instead of couth. ( I think she is mixing the word clue with couth) lol she also says hair to the estate instead of heir, and believe it or not she says someone is death instead of deaf......arghhh