• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Wal*Mart de Mexico

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
Wal-Mart de Mexico orchestrated a campaign of bribery to win market dominance. In its rush to build stores, he said, the company had paid bribes to obtain permits in virtually every corner of the country. the DOJ is investigating.

"There is reasonable suspicion to believe that Mexican and USA laws have been violated."

it's also worth noting that Wal-Mart and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce have been lobbying to weaken the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act -- the law that prohibits American companies from giving bribes to foreign officials.

http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/24/11368955-wal-mart-faces-criminal-probe-in-bribery-scandal

News flash

Wal-Mart de Mexico orchestrated a campaign of bribery to win market dominance. In its rush to build stores, he said, the company had paid bribes to obtain permits in virtually every corner of the country. the DOJ is investigating.

"There is reasonable suspicion to believe that Mexican and USA laws have been violated."

it's also worth noting that Wal-Mart and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce have been lobbying to weaken the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act -- the law that prohibits American companies from giving bribes to foreign officials.

http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/24/11368955-wal-mart-faces-criminal-probe-in-bribery-scandal
Mexico is corrupt and the open borders is allowing them to bring their corruption here

I would be more concerned with what goes in our borders than the business as usual crap in 3rd world cesspools.

http://www.limitstogrowth.org/articles/2011/09/29/mexican-corruption-observed-on-houston-construction-sites/

this is Wal*Mart de America aka the Waltons breaking the law. "that's not who we are."
Thats what Mexico is

My brother in law is a tax auditor in Mexico and the corruption amongst his co workers is rampant. He refuses to accept bribes for a crooked audit. The others laugh at him and his old jalopy as they drive around in Expeditions and Suburbans...

I don't need a lecture from some old bitty who has probably never been there and makes up their own preconceived notion about what goes on down there.

fairsheet

Senator
Mexico should never have let Wal*Mart in, in the first place. I don't say that, just because it's Wal*Mart. I'd say the same if it was Target, or any other foreign retailer. The nativist/populist who thinks it's possible in this modern world, to control import/export as it relates to manufacturing, commodities, and products, is dreaming.

But, states DO retain some useful and practical control over retailing. If Wal*Mart doesn't sell "it", a Mexican retailer will. It's unrealistic to think that one retailer or another can actually ADD net economic value, but they can sure as hell subtract from it.

Mexico should never have let Wal*Mart in, in the first place. I don't say that, just because it's Wal*Mart. I'd say the same if it was Target, or any other foreign retailer. The nativist/populist who thinks it's possible in this modern world, to control import/export as it relates to manufacturing, commodities, and products, is dreaming.

But, states DO retain some useful and practical control over retailing. If Wal*Mart doesn't sell "it", a Mexican retailer will. It's unrealistic to think that one retailer or another can actually ADD net economic value, but they can sure as hell subtract from it.
Walmarts in Mexico are cool the last time we were down there we took family on a shopping spree and civilized em we bought a waffle iron some Aunt Jemima mix, butter and maple syrup they objected "don't buy that stuff its gringo stuff"....my nieces and nephews wanted waffles for breakfast virtually every morning we were there

why is this a surprise to anyone? Walmart is doing the exact same thing any company does when dealing with most third world countries. This is how its done folks. We are naive to think it's wrong when in fact, this is no different than our system which makes bribery a legal exchange which has the sobering affect of making the bribe that much more expensive. I used to tell my buddies when they got shaken down in Ensenada by a cop "There is nothing more honest than a crooked cop. That bribe you just paid was cheap. In America, it would have cost you five times as much and your insurance would have made it even more expensive". What exactly do you think a planning permit for your new patio is? How about that hookup fee for your water meter? Anyone want to tell us why a new fiber trench through town immediately illcits a demand to hook up the local schools, police and hospitals for free? how about a cable franchise agreement? Anyone ever try to get a new cell tower in place in Beverly Hills? Please.

ya-ta-hey

Mayor

Ms. Julie,

Walmarts in Mexico are great. Last year, I and a bunch of freinds had a time share in Playa de Carmen. We got off the plane in Cancun, the six of us piled into a small taxi, then first place we hit was the Walmart for $600 of food and booze. It lasted us 5 days, and it was much better than paying $8/drink at the resort.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
What hypocrisy, the DOJ going after Walmart de Mexico when they have virtually flung open the gates and allowed unfettered access to the US by dope smugglers, thieves and murders and sued American states to stop them from protecting their citizens.

fairsheet

Senator
Walmarts in Mexico are cool the last time we were down there we took family on a shopping spree and civilized em we bought a waffle iron some Aunt Jemima mix, butter and maple syrup they objected "don't buy that stuff its gringo stuff"....my nieces and nephews wanted waffles for breakfast virtually every morning we were there
Good food is wasted on kids. I can remember going to my Grandmother's house up in Massachusetts when I was a kid. That was back in the day when she could go to the market and buy enough NE lobster to feed half a dozen horses. She'd boil up that lobster......and we'd whine....for hotdogs.

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
and the Romney connection:

the former Wal-Mart CEO who helped shut down an investigation of bribery by store officials in Mexico is an operating partner at a private equity fund started by Mitt Romney, his eldest son and his campaign finance director.

H. Lee Scott Jr. became an operating partner at the Romney fund, Solamere Capital, eight months after he left Wal-Mart in 2009. Solamere's partners and investors include major Romney campaign donors and staffers. Romney was a senior adviser and the first investor in the fund, putting up $10 million.
The Times reported that Scott rebuked internal investigators for being too agressive in uncovering bribery by store officials in Mexico. The investigators allegedly found credible evidence that some $24 million in bribes allowed the store to dominate the market in Mexico, but Scott and others hushed up the investigation until the Times disclosed it Sunday.

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2012/04/walmart-executive-in-bribery-coverup-works-at-romney-121325.html