• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

What does this photo show?

MrMike

Bless you all
This is zero political in nature so I put it here. Specifically, I want to ask BD (as he is also a civil war historian type). I think I know what it shows, but want to ask your opinion.

@bdtex

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
This is the whole picture. The men are sitting on logs. That was my first thought.

OBgnYUG.png

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Those are Union soldiers. The best research I can do now says that was taken during the Peninsula Campaign in 1862 before the Emancipation Proclamation was issued. Runaway/lberated slaves were still considered to be contraband.. I might try later to see if that photo is in the Library Of Congress(LOC) archives.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Those are Union soldiers. The best research I can do now says that was taken during the Peninsula Campaign in 1862 before the Emancipation Proclamation was issued. Runaway/lberated slaves were still considered to be contraband.. I might try later to see if that photo is in the Library Of Congress(LOC) archives.
The two men on the left are probably not soldiers. Most likely they are government workers, drovers, wagon handlers, blacksmiths, etc. The black man could be a slave or an orderly. The kid could be his son or a camp helper, cleaning, fetching, stuff and such.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Unless he's asleep,it doesn't appear that he's real happy to be where he is.
Yeah, it does look like he might be asleep. It looks like the man is sitting on the boy's shoulders but I know he must be sitting on a chair or a stump.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it does look like he might be asleep. It looks like the man is sitting on the boy's shoulders but I know he must be sitting on a chair or a stump.
He's sitting on the same thing the man in the middle is sitting on.

MrMike

Bless you all
I have a friend that said the photo was a Confederate soldier sitting on a slave and I said nope... looks like a union soldier preparing a quick field dressing (kid holding the binding strip).