• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Citizens united

Mr. Friscus

Governor
I asked if you think the citizens united decision is good for our democracy
It's awful for our democracy.

Just a loophole for political candidates of major parties to spew BS about their "enemy" without being responsible for the words.

But, by your vote, you support it.

Renee

Governor
It's awful for our democracy.

Just a loophole for political candidates of major parties to spew BS about their "enemy" without being responsible for the words.

But, by your vote, you support it.
I don't understand what you mean when you say because of my vote, I support it.

fairsheet

Senator
"Citizens United" is akin to the Supreme Court ruling that our educational institutions could no longer demand the traditional attributions and citations regarding their students' submitted work.

Above, Mr. Friscus (bless his heart!) suggests that Citizens United is one of those 50/50 issues that applies the same to Democrats as to Republicans. I don't buy that. Note right here in this forum, that one "side" is a heckuva lot more prone to violating those traditional rules as to citation and attribution.

Why is that? Well...I suppose some on my "side" would say it's because the righters are simply ignorant and ill-educated. I don't think it's quite that simple. I think it's way more about their knowing godamned well that IF they were to properly cite their sources, it probably wouldn't bode well for their intended argument.

Trapdoor refers to The Sierra Club. His reference is silly. The Sierra Club is proud of its donors and its donors are proud to donate.

Again..."Citizens United" isn't about allowing big donations. It's about allowing big ANONYMOUS donations.

trapdoor

Governor
"Citizens United" is akin to the Supreme Court ruling that our educational institutions could no longer demand the traditional attributions and citations regarding their students' submitted work.

Above, Mr. Friscus (bless his heart!) suggests that Citizens United is one of those 50/50 issues that applies the same to Democrats as to Republicans. I don't buy that. Note right here in this forum, that one "side" is a heckuva lot more prone to violating those traditional rules as to citation and attribution.

Why is that? Well...I suppose some on my "side" would say it's because the righters are simply ignorant and ill-educated. I don't think it's quite that simple. I think it's way more about their knowing godamned well that IF they were to properly cite their sources, it probably wouldn't bode well for their intended argument.

Trapdoor refers to The Sierra Club. His reference is silly. The Sierra Club is proud of its donors and its donors are proud to donate.

Again..."Citizens United" isn't about allowing big donations. It's about allowing big ANONYMOUS donations.

I mentioned Sierra Club because it was among several organizations filing amicus briefs in favor of abolishing the portion of the law abolished by the Citizen's United ruling. Other organizations who took the same stance included the ACLU and the NRA.