• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Increase effective prices for broadcasting commercial time.

Supposn

Council Member
Increase effective prices for broadcasting commercial time.

Many of us are concerned about the huge and growing expenditures for seeking elected offices. I suppose purchasing electronic broadcasting time or space on internet screens is the most expensive single items for national and state-wide campaigns. because that's the most advantageous use of campaign dollars.

Political influence is being auctioned, powers' further gravitating to the wealthiest bidders and reducing the populist character of our democratic republic.

A message may not mention the names of political candidates, parties, drafts of laws or regulations proposed or passed by our governments' legislators, but still be an effective political message. Government cannot and should not attempt determining messages' extents of political purposes.

I doubt if legal and effective federal regulation of political financing could be drafted, but if we succeeded to enact such effective USA laws, they'd surly also sooner lead to our transformation from democracy to fascism.

Purchase of electronic broadcasting services should not be a tax deductible item. If the political services cannot be effectively regulated, we should not enable those expenses to be commingled with commercial expenses and in effect be government subsidized.
[Tax deductions currently allowed for creation broadcasting content, (e.g. scripts, art, performances, etc.) would continue to be allowed. There's legal precedent for requiring that a category of expense, (such as purchase of broadcasting services), be legally identified and isolated from all other billing expenses.]

This is a radical proposal. But increasing the effective prices paid for broadcasting commercial interruptions to better retain our democracy and prevent fascism, is a good bargain.

Respectfully, Supposn

Ms. Truth

Council Member
Actually the reason campaigns cost so much is exactly because of advertising.

Advertisers extremely jack up their prices during election season forcing politicians to acquire more money to advertise.

This in turn allows lobbyists more influence over them.

What you should be arguing for is a cap on advertising fees to keep them low.

Supposn

Council Member
Actually the reason campaigns cost so much is exactly because of advertising.

Advertisers extremely jack up their prices during election season forcing politicians to acquire more money to advertise.

This in turn allows lobbyists more influence over them.

What you should be arguing for is a cap on advertising fees to keep them low.
Increase effective prices for broadcasting commercial time. ... A message may not mention the names of political candidates, parties, drafts of laws or regulations proposed or passed by our governments' legislators, but still be an effective political message. Government cannot and should not attempt determining messages' extents of political purposes.

I doubt if legal and effective federal regulation of political financing could be drafted, but if we succeeded to enact such effective USA laws, they'd surely also sooner lead to our transformation from democracy to fascism. ...This is a radical proposal. But increasing the effective prices paid for broadcasting commercial interruptions to better retain our democracy and prevent fascism, is a good bargain.
Ms. Truth, there are too many political advertisements pretending to be informational or educational announcements, which are actually promoting political positions. They are effectively tax-deductible political advertisements granting the wealthy a great political advantage over lesser financed candidates.

Respectfully, Supposn

Ms. Truth

Council Member
Ms. Truth, there are too many political advertisements pretending to be informational or educational announcements, which are actually promoting political positions. They are effectively tax-deductible political advertisements granting the wealthy a great political advantage over lesser financed candidates.

Respectfully, Supposn
Since they are required by law to say its a political advertisement during the commercial I have to call fake on your claim.

Supposn

Council Member
Since they are required by law to say its a political advertisement during the commercial I have to call fake on your claim.
Ms. Truth, my claim is not fake. Corporations claims that their commercials do not also carry some political opinions are sometimes false. I'm not opposed to corporations voicing their opinions. I'm opposed to their political opinions qualifying as tax-deductible expenditures, (government subsidized political messages).
Respectfully, Supposn
Increase effective prices for broadcasting commercial time. ... A message may not mention the names of political candidates, parties, drafts of laws or regulations proposed or passed by our governments' legislators, but still be an effective political message. Government cannot and should not attempt determining messages' extents of political purposes.

I doubt if legal and effective federal regulation of political financing could be drafted, but if we succeeded to enact such effective USA laws, they'd surely also sooner lead to our transformation from democracy to fascism. ... This is a radical proposal. But increasing the effective prices paid for broadcasting commercial interruptions to better retain our democracy and prevent fascism, is a good bargain. ...