• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Mathematical Universes

Hard to remember exactly how many thousands of years.. Leroy.
Um, I think it was BILLIONS of years, Addy. We'll be able to see other galaxies for billions of years. And, actually, we will always be able to see the other galactic members of the Local Group, which is a group of some three dozen 'nearby' galaxies that are gravitationally bound together. That Local Group includes the famous Andromeda galaxy, which is actually on a collision course with our own Milky Way galaxy. That collision will happen in about five billion years---about the same time our own Sun will be dying.

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Um, I think it was BILLIONS of years, Addy. We'll be able to see other galaxies for billions of years. And, actually, we will always be able to see the other galactic members of the Local Group, which is a group of some three dozen 'nearby' galaxies that are gravitationally bound together. That Local Group includes the famous Andromeda galaxy, which is actually on a collision course with our own Milky Way galaxy. That collision will happen in about five billion years---about the same time our own Sun will be dying.
Thanks for the correction, Leroy.. I watched the lecture twice, I need to watch it again apparently.You are well versed in astronomy.. no doubt about that. Thanks again, love your input on these subjects..

fairsheet

Senator
Awhile back, PACE posted a fascinating interactive piece that went to the relative size of things. Its baseline was the "human". It zoomed out from there, to the size of the earth, our sun, our solar system, our galaxy, and beyond. By the end, we were looking at numbers with so many zeros, I think someone had to make up some new number names! Suffice to say, we humans are pretty darned small.

But wait! Then, PACE's piece went in the opposite direction, from the size of a human, to the smallest particle known to current science. And as it turns out, we humans are WAY bigger (a bunch more zeros) in comparison with that particle, than the universe is in comparison with us!

Awhile back, PACE posted a fascinating interactive piece that went to the relative size of things. Its baseline was the "human". It zoomed out from there, to the size of the earth, our sun, our solar system, our galaxy, and beyond. By the end, we were looking at numbers with so many zeros, I think someone had to make up some new number names! Suffice to say, we humans are pretty darned small.

But wait! Then, PACE's piece went in the opposite direction, from the size of a human, to the smallest particle known to current science. And as it turns out, we humans are WAY bigger (a bunch more zeros) in comparison with that particle, than the universe is in comparison with us!
I fondly remember the scene from the movie 'Animal House', where the students were smoking pot with one of their professors, and the professor was describing how an atom, with its electrons circling the nucleus, could be a solar system (supposedly with intelligent beings living on the electrons), and how our entire Universe could be just an electron in some larger atom, and the kid whose nickname was 'Pinto' freaked out, and then asked the professor if he would sell him some pot.

Most amusing.

Thanks for the correction, Leroy.. I watched the lecture twice, I need to watch it again apparently.You are well versed in astronomy.. no doubt about that. Thanks again, love your input on these subjects..
Have you ever seen the magazine Astronomy? You can get an annual subscription for about $16, and it is really a splendid magazine for laymen who have an active interest in astronomy. Recommended!

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Have you ever seen the magazine Astronomy? You can get an annual subscription for about $16, and it is really a splendid magazine for laymen who have an active interest in astronomy. Recommended!
No, I haven't Leroy.. that sounds like a great idea! I watched the lecture again by Lawrence Krauss. I was totally off in the number of years he predicts -- the inability to observe what we are able to see now -- regarding galaxies ... way, way, off.. :D
Liked Lawrence's terminology, calling us all 'star children'.

I have always called rocks, fallen stars... my lingo for them since I was a kid.. don't know why I would do that, so stupid! Something about rocks fascinates me...they always have. Don't laugh,, my hubs does that already!

Funny how Lawrence ended his lecture on how after the ability to look back was lost.. he put this image & text up!

lawrence krauss.JPG

One of my all-time favorite songs:

Woodstock

by Joni Mitchell

I came upon a child of God
He was walking along the road
And I asked him, "Where are you going?"
And this he told me...

I'm going on down to Yasgur's Farm,
I'm gonna join in a rock and roll band.
I'm gonna camp out on the land.
I'm gonna get my soul free.

We are stardust.
We are golden.
And we've got to get ourselves back to the garden.

Then can I walk beside you?
I have come here to lose the smog,
And I feel to be a cog in something turning.

Well maybe it is just the time of year,
Or maybe it's the time of man.
I don't know who I am,
But you know life is for learning.

We are stardust.
We are golden.

By the time we got to Woodstock,
We were half a million strong
And Everywhere there was song and celebration.

And I dreamed I saw the bombers
Riding shotgun in the sky,
And they were turning into butterflies
Above our nation.

We are stardust.
Billion year old carbon.
We are golden..
Caught in the devil's bargain

LeRoy: We ARE stardust. Literally.

BTW, 'Astronomy' magazine is always available at Barnes & Noble, if you have a B&N store anywhere in your neighborhood. Most other good bookstores should have it, too; or your public library.

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Beautiful lyrics, Leroy, thanks for posting! I will look for the magazine, it shouldn't be that be a big of a deal to locate one.
After reading the lyrics to that particular song, I wanted to hear the actual recording..:)

Woodstock - Joni Mitchell
[video=youtube;NXQmt6O9y5s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXQmt6O9y5s[/video]

Beautiful lyrics, Leroy, thanks for posting! I will look for the magazine, it shouldn't be that be a big of a deal to locate one.
After reading the lyrics to that particular song, I wanted to hear the actual recording..:)

Woodstock - Joni Mitchell
[video=youtube;NXQmt6O9y5s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXQmt6O9y5s[/video]
Joni Mitchell was the author of that beautiful song, but it was famously covered by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (on their 'Deja Vu' album), and a bit less famously by a minor group called Matthew's Southern Comfort. I think that version is actually my favorite; it just shimmers in the air. Search out that version!

ARMCX1

Mayor
I think the logic is fuzzy starting with the description of space-time. If space-time is flat and infinite, how is it that there is only a finite number of possible arrangements of particles? It's the alleged finiteness of the number of possible arrangements that, according to the Infinite Universe, causes a repeat in space-time and multiple selves doing all kinds of stuff.

Second point concerns 13.7 billion light years and the statement that there is space-time "beyond" the limits of 13.7 billion light years. There's nothing at all outside the leading edges of 13.7 billion year old light waves. No extra space-time outside since there's literally nothing outside the universe.

That's the problem with replicate universes at least as envisioned above.

Then again, it's possible I don't know what I'm talking about. How many universes is that echoing through?

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Joni Mitchell was the author of that beautiful song, but it was famously covered by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (on their 'Deja Vu' album), and a bit less famously by a minor group called Matthew's Southern Comfort. I think that version is actually my favorite; it just shimmers in the air. Search out that version!
Thanks, Leroy, I listened to it.. it was great, just as you stated! :cool:

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
I think the logic is fuzzy starting with the description of space-time. If space-time is flat and infinite, how is it that there is only a finite number of possible arrangements of particles? It's the alleged finiteness of the number of possible arrangements that, according to the Infinite Universe, causes a repeat in space-time and multiple selves doing all kinds of stuff.

Second point concerns 13.7 billion light years and the statement that there is space-time "beyond" the limits of 13.7 billion light years. There's nothing at all outside the leading edges of 13.7 billion year old light waves. No extra space-time outside since there's literally nothing outside the universe.

That's the problem with replicate universes at least as envisioned above.

Then again, it's possible I don't know what I'm talking about. How many universes is that echoing through?
Arm, thanks for your take. You know more than I do.. The top post read is to be taken with a grain of salt,, I just found it kind of fun to ponder -- as being a trifle factual.. ;) I appreciate your input as usual.

ARMCX1

Mayor
Arm, thanks for your take. You know more than I do.. The top post read is to be taken with a grain of salt,, I just found it kind of fun to ponder -- as being a trifle factual.. ;) I appreciate your input as usual.
Addy my take should be taken with a salt shaker. And tequila.

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Addy my take should be taken with a salt shaker. And tequila.
:)

Your post made me think of this oldie.. it's going 'round in my head.. oldie for sure!

Margaritaville .... Jimmy Buffett ... :cool:
[video=youtube;KCcXqFCMSbo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCcXqFCMSbo[/video]

Jen

Senator
Well, since my reality for me is the only one I will ever see then it's probably okay for me to think that.

Very interesting, Addy. I"ll ponder it for a while.

Jen

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Well, since my reality for me is the only one I will ever see then it's probably okay for me to think that.

Very interesting, Addy. I"ll ponder it for a while.

Jen
Good enough, Jen.. but what lies beyond will always be mysterious to me.

Jen

Senator
Same here, Addy.

Those who have gone on before us know what's there..............even if we don't. And I feel certain that something is there for us.

Good enough, Jen.. but what lies beyond will always be mysterious to me.

Dino

Russian Asset
I'll wait til we see two snowflakes that DO look alike before I start believing in alternate universes.