• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

The Missing Six Weeks...a great read

BobbyT

Governor
For anyone still wondering why we’re suffering from this catastrophe...

Great read, thanks. This disaster will be a cautionary tale for the future for those who think government should be "small enough to fit in a bathtub." Nationwide disasters like this one are when strong, focused, clear, thoughtful, united Federal government is crucial. Sadly, Donald is more focused on his ratings, fanboys, and the stock market to focus on the country, while pitting governors against one another, and downplaying and countering the advice of the medical professionals. He's going to be number one all right, the number one more disastrous president this country as ever seen.

Raoul_Luke

I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.
Great read, thanks. This disaster will be a cautionary tale for the future for those who think government should be "small enough to fit in a bathtub." Nationwide disasters like this one are when strong, focused, clear, thoughtful, united Federal government is crucial. Sadly, Donald is more focused on his ratings, fanboys, and the stock market to focus on the country, while pitting governors against one another, and downplaying and countering the advice of the medical professionals. He's going to be number one all right, the number one more disastrous president this country as ever seen.
Yes, like in Italy...and Spain, am I right?

Bugsy McGurk

President
Did you hear that psychopath yapping about his hair today, noting that the wind mussed it a bit (“It’s mine,” said the lunatic when discussing the catastrophic crisis his blundering brought about).

BobbyT

Governor
Did you hear that psychopath yapping about his hair today, noting that the wind mussed it a bit (“It’s mine,” said the lunatic when discussing the catastrophic crisis his blundering brought about).
Some people wear their heart on their sleeve. He wears his insecurities.

Raoul_Luke

Donald is running Italy and Spain too?
No, and that is the point. Italy and Spain (and France) are big government run nations that are dealing with the pandemic much worse than we are, which makes your premise that "this disaster will be a cautionary tale for the future for those who think government should be 'small enough to fit in a bathtub"' so laughable. You guys keep telling us we need more government, and then when it doesn't work, you turn around and say it's because it just wasn't big enough. At some point, intelligent people will stop listening to people like you.

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
20 January 2020 - first Coronavirus case in USA and first Coronavirus case in South Korea.

The confluence was striking, but there the similarities ended.

South Korea acted swiftly and aggressively.
USA dithered and procrastinated.

Bugsy McGurk

President
20 January 2020 - first Coronavirus case in USA and first Coronavirus case in South Korea.

The confluence was striking, but there the similarities ended.

South Korea acted swiftly and aggressively.
USA dithered and procrastinated.
Yup. South Korea and the US both had their first reported cases on 1/20/20. South Korea is close to snuffing out the contagion. The US has a raging epidemic and our country is being destroyed health-wise and economically.

The only material difference? South Korea recognized the dreadful serious of the disease, and we had a lying, denying, bumbling, fumbling “president.”

Some examples:

So here we are.

Raoul_Luke

Yup. South Korea and the US both had their first reported cases on 1/20/20. South Korea is close to snuffing out the contagion. The US has a raging epidemic and our country is being destroyed health-wise and economically.

The only material difference? South Korea recognized the dreadful serious of the disease, and we had a lying, denying, bumbling, fumbling “president.”

Some examples:

So here we are.
No mention of what the S. Koreans did and we didn't do? The answer of course, is testing. Less populous nations could take that route while the US (and European nations) simply had too many people - there weren't enough tests available, per capita, as there was in South Korea, as well as Hong Kong and Singapore. Nobody was prepared for this, but smaller nations, as one might expect, had a much easier task in dealing with it than large ones. Should we have had tens of millions of tests stockpiled? Perhaps, or perhaps not - what's their shelf life? Did we dilly dally in gearing up test production? I don't know - do you? Why don't we concentrate on the actual facts, instead of the "Trump is bad" narrative?

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member

Some examples:

So here we are.
Ohio can offer one bright spot.....our heroine Dr Amy Acton. Gov DeWine smiled throughout this video; most of us teared up.

Bugsy McGurk

President
No mention of what the S. Koreans did and we didn't do? The answer of course, is testing. Less populous nations could take that route while the US (and European nations) simply had too many people - there weren't enough tests available, per capita, as there was in South Korea, as well as Hong Kong and Singapore. Nobody was prepared for this, but smaller nations, as one might expect, had a much easier task in dealing with it than large ones. Should we have had tens of millions of tests stockpiled? Perhaps, or perhaps not - what's their shelf life? Did we dilly dally in gearing up test production? I don't know - do you? Why don't we concentrate on the actual facts, instead of the "Trump is bad" narrative?
No one expects that we should have had millions of COVID-19 tests stockpiled. The virus was only discovered in December. But people do expect that our nation should have been able to do what South Korea did - immediately produce and deploy enough tests to control the outbreak when it first hit their shores. It was done there and could have been done here.

Why wasn’t it done here? You know the answer. South Korea had competent leaders who did not deny the significance of the virus. We had Trump, who lied, denied, bumbled and fumbled. He is STILL doing that.

Read The Missing Six Weeks...

You must face reality - Trump destroyed our country.

Raoul_Luke

No one expects that we should have had millions of COVID-19 tests stockpiled. The virus was only discovered in December. But people do expect that our nation should have been able to do what South Korea did - immediately produce and deploy enough tests to control the outbreak when it first hit their shores. It was done there and could have been done here.

Why wasn’t it done here? You know the answer. South Korea had competent leaders who did not deny the significance of the virus. We had Trump, who lied, denied, bumbled and fumbled. He is STILL doing that.

Read The Missing Six Weeks...

You must face reality - Trump destroyed our country.
And why was it done there? Because they had more tests per capita available. We did not. And why did they?

I just received a weekly update from my physician (a great great doctor, btw) and this was the focus of his missive. Specifically, he noted that just a decade ago the South Koreans had a mini-pandemic, and they were already aware of the value of having testing ready, practicing social distancing and frequent washing/sanitizing. What do you think the chances are that we in America, if in a decade from now we get hit again, will immediately comply with the guidelines THAT WERE GIVEN and were largely ignored by a huge swath of our population (think Spring Break). I'd say pretty darn good.

So what was the advantage the S. Koreans had over us? It wasn't that they didn't have Trump in charge, it's that the S. Korean people were ready, willing and able, due to their experience with communicable disease, whereas we largely were not.

I know the facts are anathema to you, but I prefer we deal in the fact based world, so I continue to expose your propaganda, not because I think I will "win" you over to the facts (that is never going to happen), but rather for the edification of the others here who are more reasonable in this regard than you.

voyager

4Q2247365
You can't bluff your way through a disaster. trump doesn't have what it takes to be a leader.

When you don't know how to delegate authority and are unable to pick the most qualified you become a loser.