• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Any black friends?

fairsheet

Senator
My friend's question on this subject was shut down, so I'll start a new one. Obama and others have bemoaned the fact that we seem unable to have an honest discussion about race. Her thread was the ideal exemplar of this. Why couldn't people simply take her question at face value and answer from their own unadulterated personal position?

From my perspective, that's EXACTLY what Obama's talking about when he refers to our inability to have an honest discussion. And for what it's worth, I'm certain that when Obama speaks of an honest discussion, he's speaking to BOTH sides of this divide.

Charcat

One of the Patsy's
My friend's question on this subject was shut down, so I'll start a new one. Obama and others have bemoaned the fact that we seem unable to have an honest discussion about race. Her thread was the ideal exemplar of this. Why couldn't people simply take her question at face value and answer from their own unadulterated personal position?

From my perspective, that's EXACTLY what Obama's talking about when he refers to our inability to have an honest discussion. And for what it's worth, I'm certain that when Obama speaks of an honest discussion, he's speaking to BOTH sides of this divide.
That particular thread BELONGED in the trash heap. It was not a legitimate question. When one of the ROCs answered honestly, Julie answered back, "why don't I believe you?"
Later she said to Queenie, "it's an American thing. bigots/racists when caught, will say baloney like, "well, I have black friends." "

Now if that's an honest discussion to you, I'm afraid I don't have the time to waste.

Holocaust-denier Julie is your friend? Ewww...

By the way, it was Eric "Machine Gun" Holder who made the "honest discussion" remark...

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member

when communities try to address racial strife, they get together, all colors and hues, to dialogue. truly, that's what we need to do in our personal lives as well. I don't know how that is done unless we befriend those of other ethnicities/races and develop the friendships that allow for candid talk about positive and negative attitudes toward the other. this is how we learn to "walk in another's shoes" and begin to challenge the old stereotypes that inform all of us who grew up in America, but which need to be confronted.

when communities try to address racial strife, they get together, all colors and hues, to dialogue. truly, that's what we need to do in our personal lives as well. I don't know how that is done unless we befriend those of other ethnicities/races and develop the friendships that allow for candid talk about positive and negative attitudes toward the other. this is how we learn to "walk in another's shoes" and begin to challenge the old stereotypes that inform all of us who grew up in America, but which need to be confronted.
Why don't I believe you? :p

gigi

Mayor

I read that thread today. Your friend's question was taken at face value by a couple of posters but she responded to their answers with "I don't believe you" type stuff. I guess she expected posters to believe what SHE said about her loads of black friends, but she wasn't willing to extend the same courtesy. And it seems the thread went downhill from there. Clearly she was baiting.

Perhaps the saddest post on that thread was your same friend's explanation for why she was asking the question. She said she was asking the question because she believes that it's a good idea to befriend minority folks so that we can all have open, honest discussions about the issues and grow in understanding and empathy. That's not what friendship is for or about.

Here's a novel idea: Don't consider making friends with someone as part of some mission to open dialogue about issues. Human beings who extend their friendship deserve a bit more respect than to be embraced for any purpose other than the fact that you see them as good people that you're drawn to and you just want to have in your life and in your family.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member

Just as your "friends" (does she turn you on using the "F" words________I realize you got to post of anything except the Θ SOTU.........again this isn't Political or Current News Events............

but so you'll not feel slighted...........still have black friends from when I was 5 years old............and others I've met through this dance known as life..........

Ya got any white friends, how about jewish (ya friend doesn't)..............tell us all about it before they move this trash...........

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
what, not one "F" word jules...did ya Priest slap that mouth?

Charcat

One of the Patsy's
I read that thread today. Your friend's question was taken at face value by a couple of posters but she responded to their answers with "I don't believe you" type stuff. I guess she expected posters to believe what SHE said about her loads of black friends, but she wasn't willing to extend the same courtesy. And it seems the thread went downhill from there. Clearly she was baiting.

Perhaps the saddest post on that thread was your same friend's explanation for why she was asking the question. She said she was asking the question because she believes that it's a good idea to befriend minority folks so that we can all have open, honest discussions about the issues and grow in understanding and empathy. That's not what friendship is for or about.

Here's a novel idea: Don't consider making friends with someone as part of some mission to open dialogue about issues. Human beings who extend their friendship deserve a bit more respect than to be embraced for any purpose other than the fact that you see them as good people that you're drawn to and you just want to have in your life and in your family.
Thank you. Great post and my feelings exactly.

RickWA

Snagglesooth
Why don't I believe you? :p
Because it's all contrived baloney, that's why. Most of these folks who discuss "a dialog on race" are bigots and manipulators. It's scripted trash.

We don't need targeted, race-based dialog. People just need to live and interact among one another. As I see my high school freshman son hug his football and basketball team mates - and take up for them in game situations - it is based on them being his friends and team mates rather than member of a race; and I KNOW what I see is right.

I'll utter the dreaded phrase - I have lots of friends who are black. Many of them were my team mates on my college hoops team (granted, this was the dinosaur age of '83-'87). My kids and their kids have grown up together. There's positively nothing noble here. They grab a beer out of my fridge as readily as I will out of theirs (the parents, not the kids ;-) )

I'm not good for being their friend...I'm fortunate for knowing them. They'd probably say something similar - but I know that none of us would call this "a dialog", none of us would make a profound, solemn mission of this, nor would they telescope it to politics. Normal good folks often like one another. No big deal.

This is all political posturing crapola.

Because it's all contrived baloney, that's why. Most of these folks who discuss "a dialog on race" are bigots and manipulators. It's scripted trash.

We don't need targeted, race-based dialog. People just need to live and interact among one another. As I see my high school freshman son hug his football and basketball team mates - and take up for them in game situations - it is based on them being his friends and team mates rather than member of a race; and I KNOW what I see is right.

I'll utter the dreaded phrase - I have lots of friends who are black. Many of them were my team mates on my college hoops team (granted, this was the dinosaur age of '83-'87). My kids and their kids have grown up together. There's positively nothing noble here. They grab a beer out of my fridge as readily as I will out of theirs (the parents, not the kids ;-) )

I'm not good for being their friend...I'm fortunate for knowing them. They'd probably say something similar - but I know that none of us would call this "a dialog", none of us would make a profound, solemn mission of this, nor would they telescope it to politics. Normal good folks often like one another. No big deal.

This is all political posturing crapola.
Well said, and I'm sure Julie, like most progreSSives, counts her black friends like kids count their baseball cards...

fairsheet

Senator

Speaking ONLY for myself, I was raised by what I will call "post-progressive" parents. And, I specifically noted that I've never lived in a place where race was an "in your face" issue.
As to "post-progressive"?....Back in the 60's day, the race-progressive insisted that black people were equal to and just as good as, white people. My parents took it one step further by insisting on the idea that the relative value of people of different colors, wasn't even a subject worthy of discussion.

For my part, I can honestly that I've lived my life that way. I can't claim to've ever specifically reached out to anyone of a different color. But, I CAN say that I've never done anything to hint at their color being a subject worthy of discussion or consideration. Call me simple, but I think the odd person of color I've encountered, has appreciated that. I mean sure....I haven't invited any black people over for dinner, but I haven't invited any white people over, either!

Furthermore and above, I've been honest* about the fact that I've never worked nor lived in a place where race was an in your face issue. One of the reasons that poster is my "friend", is that she's willing to speak honestly and willing to suffer the slings and arrows of jerked knees.

*"Honest"...there's that word again!

SW48

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member

I took it at face value and answered it.

It was odd that one poster I remember answered it and then your friend didn't believe her. Then I think the thread went downhill.

I didn't realize it got sent to trash. That was unfortunate.

fairsheet

Senator
I took it at face value and answered it.

It was odd that one poster I remember answered it and then your friend didn't believe her. Then I think the thread went downhill.

I didn't realize it got sent to trash. That was unfortunate.

I don't claim ownership of her responses, nor do I imagine she'd expect me to.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Speaking ONLY for myself, I was raised by what I will call "post-progressive" parents. And, I specifically noted that I've never lived in a place where race was an "in your face" issue.
As to "post-progressive"?....Back in the 60's day, the race-progressive insisted that black people were equal to and just as good as, white people. My parents took it one step further by insisting on the idea that the relative value of people of different colors, wasn't even a subject worthy of discussion.

For my part, I can honestly that I've lived my life that way. I can't claim to've ever specifically reached out to anyone of a different color. But, I CAN say that I've never done anything to hint at their color being a subject worthy of discussion or consideration. Call me simple, but I think the odd person of color I've encountered, has appreciated that. I mean sure....I haven't invited any black people over for dinner, but I haven't invited any white people over, either!

Furthermore and above, I've been honest* about the fact that I've never worked nor lived in a place where race was an in your face issue. One of the reasons that poster is my "friend", is that she's willing to speak honestly and willing to suffer the slings and arrows of jerked knees.

*"Honest"...there's that word again!
what is race "not in your face" issue..............did you live in exclusively white neighborhoods or what_____________?
Your friend is a bigot and while cursing like a sailor JUDGES others here of not being Christian...............

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member

I think it's good to develop friendships with people of different ethnic/racial backgrounds. of course, that doesn't happen unless there's first an interest and compatibility that has nothing to do with the differences. however, as with any friendship, you tend to share feelings about upbringing, challenges you've faced, what was alike or different, etc. you also find that it affords the opportunity to talk candidly about racial issues when they're in the news. it's an opportunity to learn from each other. it really stinks that you would write a post making it sound like there was something wrong with that.

MrMike

Bless you all
Friends tend to develop naturally either at work or social interaction. If you are out (preemptively) seeking to create friends based on some mental quota of a diversity goal then it's probably less than a genuine friendship. :)

fairsheet

Senator
Back at University, I had a student-friend who was Iranian. This was back prior to the Iranian revolution. Call me simple, but I enjoyed getting his goat by asking him what he thought of the Shah. Of course, the LAST thing he wanted to do, was to go on record as to his thoughts around the Shah.