• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

GUNS SAVE LIVES

Marcus Aurelius

Governor
Supporting Member
"someone tries to rob me, and pulls a gun, I will shoot them." MA #19
While I'm not impervious to inspirational prose, this is the well cast fantasy of the gun-nut.

The notion that when an armed assailant has both the element of surprise, and has the drop on you, gun potentially already drawn and aimed,
that you could and would somehow acquire a weapon, prepare it for firing, aim, and hit your target all before s/he could pull the trigger;
it's absolutely nothing short of delusion.

If it comforts you to cling to such delusion fine.
But religious fantasies provide the same level of protection, but religionists don't have to worry when they get near a metal detector.
this is why you're usually on ignore. You are ASSuming fact not presented. I made no such claim, yet you imply I did.

You're a dishonest poster.

Good night.

sear

Mayor
"this is why you're usually on ignore. You are ASSuming fact not presented. I made no such claim, yet you imply I did." MA #21
Piffle.
"Imply" (the word YOU chose) means:
To express or indicate indirectly *

I was as direct as could manage to be. I'll quote YOUR posted words:

The only way you could have the drop on them is if your gun is ALREADY drawn, prepared for fire, and aimed.
None of those conditions are included in your #19 scenario.

In addition, you're basically referring not only to personal carry at "CONDITION ZERO".
But you'd have to have the CONDITION ZERO weapon in your shooting hand at the time of the encounter. And candidly, such combat mode of carry is probably illegal in most U.S. jurisdictions.
Adults and children alike have been shot dead by police for less.
"You're a dishonest poster." MA
If your most persuasive argument for that is your #19 & #21, then it seems you are substantially more dishonest than I am.
"Good night." MA
Cockeyed optimism in matters of human life or death don't impress me.

But when it's merely an offer of good will, I appreciate it.
Let us hope it is a wave of contentment that sweeps around the globe in the next 24 hours.

Enjoy your weekend.

mode of carry:
Condition 0 - A round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.

Condition 1 - Also called "cocked and locked", this means that a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety is on.

Condition 2 - A round is in the chamber, the hammer is uncocked.

Condition 3 - There is no round in the chamber, the hammer is uncocked but a fully loaded magazine is inserted in the mag well.

Condition 4 - The chamber is empty, the hammer is uncocked and there is no magazine inserted in the mag well:
source - Thorsen

* Excerpted from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition © 1996 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from INSO Corporation; further reproduction and distribution in accordance with the Copyright Law of the United States. All rights reserved.

Constitutional Sheepdog

][][][%er!!!!!!!
Piffle.

The only way you could have the drop on them is if your gun is ALREADY drawn, prepared for fire, and aimed.

In addition, you're basically referring not only to personal carry at "CONDITION ZERO".
But you'd have to have the CONDITION ZERO weapon in your shooting hand at the time of the encounter. And candidly, such combat mode of carry is probably illegal in most U.S. jurisdictions.

If your most persuasive argument for that is your #19 & #21, then it seems you are substantially more dishonest than I am.

Let us hope it is a wave of contentment that sweeps around the globe in the next 24 hours.

Enjoy your weekend.

mode of carry:
Condition 0 - A round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.

Condition 1 - Also called "cocked and locked", this means that a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety is on.

Condition 3 - There is no round in the chamber, the hammer is uncocked but a fully loaded magazine is inserted in the mag well.

Condition 4 - The chamber is empty, the hammer is uncocked and there is no magazine inserted in the mag well:
source - Thorsen

* Excerpted from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition © 1996 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from INSO Corporation; further reproduction and distribution in accordance with the Copyright Law of the United States. All rights reserved.
Can I give you a little help on how to use a firearm when you are being robbed?
Only an idiot carries a weapon that isn't chambered.
and if someone is close enough to rob you, you don't pull your pistol up to your head. You pull your pistol from the holster tucked into your side barrel facing attacker and shoot from the hip two motions
pull bang

sear

Mayor
41 #24

That may work well with heroin addicts so strung out they can barely stand.

I wouldn't count that "Plan-A" going up against an armed martial artist, a marksman or sharpshooter that's got the drop on you.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
sear previously posted:

"I'm former U.S. military, qualified with various small arms, known to civilians as "guns", "grenade launchers", "bazookas" etc.
I'm also an NRA life member.
I'm also licensed by the State of New York to hunt both small & large game." s #8

We would be lucky to have "liberals" with credentials / backgrounds / principles like mine.
I hadn't realized what esteem you hold for liberals. Perhaps I underestimated you.

Please quote this "argument" as I have posted it, along with one other "liberal".

I've lost no argument in this thread.

Actually, the thought hadn't crossed my mind until I read your false accusation.

Please don't despair r1. McDonald's is hiring at entry level. And while we understand how desperately ill-suited you to constructive pursuit, I am confidence with intensive training and a few weeks of OJT you'll be able to work the window, and clean the toilet well enough to earn $pay.
appears you slept during hand-to-hand-combat
your post is full of Ebonics

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
I know this is a conservative plot but any fool can stop a man with a gun just by running into them. I have done it as well as take the gun and kill the SOB.
says the Planned Parenthood security guard
You and PP have killed many black babies

Constitutional Sheepdog

][][][%er!!!!!!!
It is terribly sad when delusional zealots forfeit a valid position, as r1 has here:

I'm not deliberately denigrating these perspectives. I'm former U.S. military, qualified with various small arms, known to civilians as "guns", "grenade launchers", "bazookas" etc.
I'm also an NRA life member.
I'm also licensed by the State of New York to hunt both small & large game.

You say you're an NRA life member? Are you trying to validate your position by making that announcement? A lot of people say they are members or life members. Then eventually you find out they are antigunners. So how long have you been a life member? and what was the gift given to NRA life members at the time of your enrollment? and what magazine di you subscribe to?

Constitutional Sheepdog

][][][%er!!!!!!!
Guns prevent crimes 2.5 MILLION times each year.

Fact: Every year, people in the United States use guns to defend themselves against criminals an estimated 2,500,000 times – more than 6,500 people a day, or once every 13 seconds. 1 Of these instances, 15.7% of the people using firearms defensively stated that they “almost certainly” saved their lives by doing so.

Fact: Even the government’s estimate, which has a major methodology problem, 2 estimates people defend themselves 235,700 times each year with guns. 3

Fact: The number of times per year an American uses a firearm to deter a home invasion alone is 498,000. 4

Fact: In 83.5% (2,087,500) of these successful gun defenses, the attacker either threatened or used force first, proving that guns are very well suited for self-defense. 5

Fact: The rate of defensive gun use (DGU) is six times that of criminal gun use. 6

Fact: Of the 2,500,000 times citizens use guns to defend themselves, 92% merely brandish their gun or fire a warning shot to scare off their attackers. 7

Fact: In most of the remaining 8% of defensive gun uses, a citizen never wounds his or her attacker (they fire warning shots), and in less than one in a thousand instances is the attacker killed. 8

Fact: In one local review of firearm homicide, more than 12% were civilian legal defensive homicides. 9

Fact: For every accidental death (802), suicide (16,869) or homicide (11,348) 10 with a firearm (29,019), 13 lives (390,000) 11 are preserved through defensive use.

Fact: When using guns in self-defense, 91.1% of the time, not a single shot is fired. 12

Fact: After the implementation of Canada’s 1977 gun controls prohibiting handgun possession for protection, the “breaking and entering” crime rate rose 25%, surpassing the American rate. 13

Myth: The small number of self-defense killings shows that private gun ownership does nothing
Fact: Most DGUs do not involve firing a gun. The average private gun owner who uses guns for self defense take non-fatal actions, such as brandishing the weapon. In other instances, they may fire a warning shot or intentionally would their attacker. 14
http://www.gunfacts.info/gun-control-myths/guns-and-crime-prevention/
that's evil facts you are rendering stop it leftist will melt.

reason10

Governor
While I'm not impervious to inspirational prose, this is the well cast fantasy of the gun-nut.

I haven't quoted any gun nuts. But apparently a lot of gun grabbing NAZIS think like you.

The notion that when an armed assailant has both the element of surprise, and has the drop on you, gun potentially already drawn and aimed,
that you could and would somehow acquire a weapon, prepare it for firing, aim, and hit your target all before s/he could pull the trigger;
it's absolutely nothing short of delusion.

Ah, yes, that amazing left wing lack of reading comprehension. You obviously haven't read the stats where 760,000 gun owners actually surprised their gun toting assailants and lives were saved. But I guess you'd rather they have been killed.

If it comforts you to cling to such delusion fine.
But religious fantasies provide the same level of protection, but religionists don't have to worry when they get near a metal detector.

So far you are the only delusional one here. And you are also a religious bigot.

sear

Mayor
"apparently a lot of gun grabbing NAZIS think like you." r1
And some of them may wear trousers. I have no intention of switching to a mini-skirt as a result.
"Ah, yes, that amazing left wing lack of reading comprehension." r1
Pseudo-reasoning by non sequitur.

Our disagreement is based on my correcting your spew of fiction.
Fiction is the theme of this topic.

topic title: "GUNS SAVE LIVES"

As I've already told you:
"Actually, guns are machines designed to kill. That's their purpose." s #8
Instead of refuting this you respond with ad hom insult.

You asserted:
Not likely.
For you to succeed in that scenario would most likely require supernatural powers,
powers which you may not possess.

It's quite likely guns have killed, taken more lives than they've saved.
"You obviously haven't read the stats where 760,000 gun owners actually surprised their gun toting assailants and lives were saved." r1
In next month's AMERICAN RIFLEMAN magazine, on page 10 is the month's installment of THE ARMED CITIZEN® there are yet 7 more articles recounting examples of gun ownership the NRA wishes to promote.
"You obviously haven't read the stats where 760,000 gun owners actually surprised their gun toting assailants and lives were saved." r1
Actually, though now retired, I'm a former policeman.
In addition, I also ran a 501c3 law enforcement organization.
I obviously know vastly more than you about it, as well as vastly more than you think I know.

Your manifold errors in this thread often follow a pattern:
- make a bogus assertion
- when challenged, make another bogus assertion

Also please note:
you've already posted numerous falsehoods which I've called you on, by issuing you a challenge to support your assertion with evidence.
If your claim were true it would be simple to provide the evidence.

But know it or not, believe it or not, like it or not, admit it or not; in post #8 alone I issued you 3 separate challenges, each beginning with the words: "Please quote ...".

You have not.
It seems you will not, apparently because
you can not.

Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.- inspired by Proverbs 17:28

and PS
"And you are also a religious bigot." r1
Probably not.
I may quote holy scripture in these fora as much or more than anyone else you can cite.
BUT !!
It is interesting to note that your own bigotry manifest in this thread and other follows the familiar pattern of the religious zealot.

"Every religion seems to me to produce a fundamentalist element, and they root that fundamentalism in the claim that they possess the only truth, and they're going to impose that truth on anybody that doesn't have it. Now we've done that as Christians in the past. We didn't like Galileo because we didn't think he quite understood where the sun was in relation to the Earth. We persecuted Jews. We did inquisitions. We had religious wars. We told women they were second class citizens. We today persecute gay and lesbian people constantly in the name of the god of love. I find that attitude appalling."

"I've had 16 death threats. None of them have come from Buddhists or atheists, they've all come from Bible quoting true believers, which I find rather interesting." Episcopal Bishop John S. Spong

Constitutional Sheepdog

][][][%er!!!!!!!
And some of them may wear trousers. I have no intention of switching to a mini-skirt as a result.

Pseudo-reasoning by non sequitur.

Our disagreement is based on my correcting your spew of fiction.
Fiction is the theme of this topic.

topic title: "GUNS SAVE LIVES"

As I've already told you:

Instead of refuting this you respond with ad hom insult.

You asserted:

Not likely.
For you to succeed in that scenario would most likely require supernatural powers,
powers which you may not possess.

It's quite likely guns have killed, taken more lives than they've saved.

In next month's AMERICAN RIFLEMAN magazine, on page 10 is the month's installment of THE ARMED CITIZEN® there are yet 7 more articles recounting examples of gun ownership the NRA wishes to promote.

Actually, though now retired, I'm a former policeman.
In addition, I also ran a 501c3 law enforcement organization.
I obviously know vastly more than you about it, as well as vastly more than you think I know.

Your manifold errors in this thread often follow a pattern:
- make a bogus assertion
- when challenged, make another bogus assertion

Also please note:
you've already posted numerous falsehoods which I've called you on, by issuing you a challenge to support your assertion with evidence.
If your claim were true it would be simple to provide the evidence.

But know it or not, believe it or not, like it or not, admit it or not; in post #8 alone I issued you 3 separate challenges, each beginning with the words: "Please quote ...".

You have not.
It seems you will not, apparently because
you can not.

Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.- inspired by Proverbs 17:28

and PS

Probably not.
I may quote holy scripture in these fora as much or more than anyone else you can cite.
BUT !!
It is interesting to note that your own bigotry manifest in this thread and other follows the familiar pattern of the religious zealot.

"Every religion seems to me to produce a fundamentalist element, and they root that fundamentalism in the claim that they possess the only truth, and they're going to impose that truth on anybody that doesn't have it. Now we've done that as Christians in the past. We didn't like Galileo because we didn't think he quite understood where the sun was in relation to the Earth. We persecuted Jews. We did inquisitions. We had religious wars. We told women they were second class citizens. We today persecute gay and lesbian people constantly in the name of the god of love. I find that attitude appalling."

"I've had 16 death threats. None of them have come from Buddhists or atheists, they've all come from Bible quoting true believers, which I find rather interesting." Episcopal Bishop John S. Spong
How can you make such factious claims and ignore the responses to them?

reason10

Governor
Piffle.

Enjoy your weekend.

mode of carry:

source - Thorsen

You've lost this argument. You just sound pathetic now. Just shutthefuckup.

reason10

Governor
His problem is that he can't handle truth and facts so he ignores what some respond with to his fictitious claims
The guy tries to play the I'M A FORMER POLICEMAN card. Yeah, right. Like ANYONE here would buy that.

Cyberspace anonymity certain gives a lot of feeble minds a license to be an asssshole.

Constitutional Sheepdog

][][][%er!!!!!!!
The guy tries to play the I'M A FORMER POLICEMAN card. Yeah, right. Like ANYONE here would buy that.

Cyberspace anonymity certain gives a lot of feeble minds a license to be an asssshole.
Interesting I am and have the documentation to prove it
Everything I have said about myself I have shown proof.
Notice I asked him about his NRA life membership and no response?

sear

Mayor
r1 #35
That's dismissal, not counter-argumentation.

BUT !!

You completed your dismal post with vulgarity in the form of a command.
fyi Among humans (I presume) commands are issued from superiors, to subordinates.
Do YOU think YOU are my SUPERIOR r1?!

Not in your WILDEST dreams.