• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Pet peeves

Jen

Senator
I have been told that I sound like a Yankee (by southerners). It always makes me laugh. If I sound like anything it's like a PNWer (Pacific Northwest) since I spent a lot of time there. That would be the accent my kids have if I could hear that accent. I haven't been drawn into the Okie accent so I think I'm wary enough not to let the drawl back in. But I haven't spent much time in Texas since about 1977. That's quite enough to even get the "fixin' to" and " over yonder" out of it. I do notice that I have picked up little things from the various places I've lived. I still say "pooka" for a little hidey hole from when I lived in Hawaii and "Outside" and "Denali" crop up from Alaska. But "tin" is purt near the only Texas thing that remains (anything with "en" at the end comes out "in"). I am on a Facebook site with West Texans and they even write in dialect. I love it!!

Growing up I made a concerted effort to lose the Texas accent. When I came home from the Navy they said I sounded like a Yankee. I didn't really, and after years of living in Colorado I lost the harshness of the Texas brogue. I moved back home in 1995 and, hanging around my cousins, brought it back a little. But I strive to speak perfect grammar. I can write almost perfect grammar but I don't always speak like I write.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
I have been told that I sound like a Yankee (by southerners). It always makes me laugh. If I sound like anything it's like a PNWer (Pacific Northwest) since I spent a lot of time there. That would be the accent my kids have if I could hear that accent. I haven't been drawn into the Okie accent so I think I'm wary enough not to let the drawl back in. But I haven't spent much time in Texas since about 1977. That's quite enough to even get the "fixin' to" and " over yonder" out of it. I do notice that I have picked up little things from the various places I've lived. I still say "pooka" for a little hidey hole from when I lived in Hawaii and "Outside" and "Denali" crop up from Alaska. But "tin" is purt near the only Texas thing that remains (anything with "en" at the end comes out "in"). I am on a Facebook site with West Texans and they even write in dialect. I love it!!
Purt near every Texas kid first learn to conjugate verbs with I'm a fixin to; you're a fixin to; he she or it is a fixin to. We love euphemisms: cold as a w-h-o-r-e-'s heart; green as a leprechaun's ass; worthless as henshit; I got a hundred of them, too many to mention.

Lapcat

Governor
One of mine is when you're in the grocery store and someone leaves their cart right smack in the middle of the aisle while they step away down another aisle to shop....leaving you to have to move it. People like that are in their own little world and act as if they're the only one on the planet AND in the store.

Another is when you're checking out and the person behind you in line stands right at your elbow as you're swiping your card (or trys to). Have also had them push their cart up just past the place where you stand to check out when you're loading your groceries onto the cart (usually at Walmart where you have to load your own cart). You then have to wait for them to back up, making everyone else in line back up, so you can check out. Had that happen about every other time when shopping in Houston. And don't get me started on the stupid driver pet peeves....lol!

Jen

Senator
Ohhh.........that must be where I heard "cold as a witch's "......um chest appendage.

Purt near every Texas kid first learn to conjugate verbs with I'm a fixin to; you're a fixin to; he she or it is a fixin to. We love euphemisms: cold as a w-h-o-r-e-'s heart; green as a leprechaun's ass; worthless as henshit; I got a hundred of them, too many to mention.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
"I could care less" drives me up a wall.

If you could care less, then you do - at some level, care.

The proper expression is 'I couldn't care less.'

That ALWAYS sets my teeth on edge.
That's the most overused mistaken cliche there is , I think. I hear it all the time...I could give a shit less. Oh really...I couldn't. People don;t think when they say it. Aw well. I could care less what they say. DOH

imreallyperplexed

Council Member
My pet peeve are people who talk about their pet peeves. :violin:

Those little things that annoy, irritate and piss us off. Here aqre a few of mine:

Stores (mainly convenience stores) with double doors and the keep the left door locked so everyone has to fight to get in and out the right door.

People who cut their eggs with a knife and fork, instead of just using the fork. My dad did it and it still annoys me.

Going to the Waffle House and every employee in the place cheerfully says GOOD MORNING, when you walk in the door.

Friday13

Governor
As for things that people do online, I hate frequently misspelled words, such as "rediculous" or "assinine." If you can't spell it, don't use it.

Redundant expressions annoy me, such as "irregardless." (And I don't care what the dictionary says; "irregardless" is not a word and never will be.) "Cash money" is something I've heard people use and I hate that expression. Other redundant expressions that annoy me include "ATM machine," "puppy dog," "kitty cat," "tuna fish," "past experience," or "past history."
I'm with you on all of those, also lead as past tense of lead (verb, properly led), these/those kind (properly these/those kindS) among others. In speech, I can't tolerate things like inTRIgal (properly inTEGral), "newkular", of course (proplerly nuclear), mischievIOUS (properly mischievOUS), and so many more.

Friday13

Governor
One of mine is when you're in the grocery store and someone leaves their cart right smack in the middle of the aisle while they step away down another aisle to shop....leaving you to have to move it. People like that are in their own little world and act as if they're the only one on the planet AND in the store.

Another is when you're checking out and the person behind you in line stands right at your elbow as you're swiping your card (or trys to). Have also had them push their cart up just past the place where you stand to check out when you're loading your groceries onto the cart (usually at Walmart where you have to load your own cart). You then have to wait for them to back up, making everyone else in line back up, so you can check out.
Have had those lovely experiences from coast to coast...and someone pushing their cart into your heel as you're walking.

Oh yes, Patrick. When my children were little, I played keyboard for church. I lined my kids on the front pew when I started playing (until my husband got there to take care of them) and if they started wiggling I turned and glared at them and they knew what that meant (even if I didn't, since I didn't spank them). Mine were the best behaved children in that church.

And with most kids, when you take them out, you explain what the excursion will be (grocery store, church, whatever) and what is expected of them and it's usually okay. If they are babies...........don't take them. Heck.....it's miserable for a poor baby to be hungry or tired and be carted all over the place. Don't do it.

I grew up saying "tuna fish".....my mom said that......... I dropped that off early on. My kids would laugh me out of the house if I said that.
When my kids threw a fit I would tell them, "Do you want something to cry about"? "Than you better knock it off". That's all it took. It appears that I have used it a little to much. One of my younger grandchildren got in a pushing match with one of his classmates and ended pushing the child to the ground. When the child started crying, my grandson looked at him and stated, "do you want something to cry about"?

My wife is a southern girl and when we moved back to PA. she had a culture shock with such phrases as, I going to red up the house, meaning to clean the house. Or dallar for dollar, left me alone, I'm going to get me out of here. I'm going to crack (smack) you one. She finds particularly funny to pick on me and the grandkids for out accent.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Jack, what have I told you about disparaging the Waffle House? It's simply the Greatest American Institution ever created!

By the way, how about the Waffle House songs on the Jukebox?

LOL..I love that stuff.
I love their food; I just get annoyed at the corporate dictated friendliness. I also have noticed taht you cannot go in any Waffle House in the world without there being one character who knows every employee in the place, and talks incessently to everyone, including other customers who also know him and all the employees too. I think these characters come with the franchise.