• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Baltimore

Jen

Senator
Baltimore. The city.
1. Run by Democrats/ Leftists
2. Population 63.7% black. LINK

Since the city is 63.7% black, the black/white racist component is nullified. It doesn't count and if racism is brought into the mix, it is a straw man.

The Democrat mayor has gone along with the destruction. LINK
"It’s a very delicate balancing act, because while we tried to make sure that they were protected from the cars and the other things that were going on, we also gave those who wished to destroy space to do that as well.”

And now Al Sharpton (notorious leftist agitator) is entering the mix.

What we have are Leftists, prone to creating chaos, going into a city and tearing it down while blaming someone else (anyone but Leftists) who is not even really involved in the whole thing for "making them do these despicable things".

They get what they create.
I am sorry for the true victims of this whole thing.
But this is what allowing Democrat Leftists to run things brings.
Leftist administrations have brought us riots in the past and so it's nothing new that they are doing it again. Leftist-run cities devolve to chaos and joblessness and rioting.

All we can hope for is that 2016 will bring us a new era..... one of strength and peace.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Baltimore encompasses just shy of 100 square miles. More than 600,000 people live inside the city limits. 95% of yesterday's unrest involved a relatively small area of about 20 square blocks with what was shown on TV all day just 3 or 4 blocks of fires around North and Pennsylvania Avenues. This is a long standing troubled area with a low income housing project nearby.

Shep Smith:

"We’ve got a major American city that has decades of turmoil within this neighborhood,” Smith continued, "It’s what happened between all of that and today that has led to this. There is no escaping that reality.

http://www.alternet.org/media/fox-host-calls-out-terrible-fox-coverage-baltimore-stop-trying-indict-baltimore

The neighborhood...

...Economically, Gray’s neighborhood and the adjacent Harlem Park were found to be a disaster zone, with an unemployment rate of one in five (nearly double that of Baltimore as a whole), almost a third of families living in poverty, and more than half of all households earning less than $25,000 a year. Abandoned lots and unsound housing conditions were exceedingly common, with almost a quarter of all the neighborhood’s buildings standing vacant (compared with 5 percent of buildings across all of Baltimore) and the rate of lead paint violations almost four times as high as it was citywide. (According to a lawsuit filed by the Gray family against their landlord, Gray and his two sisters were all found to have “damaging lead levels in their blood.”)

Those underlying conditions are bad enough, obviously. But the Health Department report doesn’t get truly shocking until you read about what actually happens in Sandtown-Winchester/Harlem Park. For starters, look at the juvenile arrest rate: Citywide, Baltimore saw 145.1 kids out of every thousand arrested between 2005 and 2009; in Sandtown-Winchester/Harlem Park, that number was 252.3. As the Baltimore Sun pointed out in an op-ed, that means a quarter of all 10-to-17-year-olds in Gray’s neighborhood were arrested at some point during the time period in question. (A separate study, published this past February, found that Sandtown-Winchester had sent more of its people to state prison than any other census tract in Maryland.)

Arguably even more striking than the arrest numbers is the disparity that the Health Department found between the city’s overall homicide rate and the homicide rate in Gray’s community, with residents of Sandtown-Winchester/Harlem Park more than twice as likely to be killed than residents of Baltimore overall. If you look at nonfatal shootings, you see pretty much the same ratio, with 91.2 people for every 10,000 being shot in Gray’s corner of Baltimore, versus 46.5 citywide...

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2015/04/freddie_gray_death_a_closer_look_at_the_tragically_impoverished_and_violent.html

Lukey

Senator
Baltimore encompasses just shy of 100 square miles. More than 600,000 people live inside the city limits. 95% of yesterday's unrest involved a relatively small area of about 20 square blocks with what was shown on TV all day just 3 or 4 blocks of fires around North and Pennsylvania Avenues. This is a long standing troubled area with a low income housing project nearby.

Shep Smith:

"We’ve got a major American city that has decades of turmoil within this neighborhood,” Smith continued, "It’s what happened between all of that and today that has led to this. There is no escaping that reality.

http://www.alternet.org/media/fox-host-calls-out-terrible-fox-coverage-baltimore-stop-trying-indict-baltimore

The neighborhood...

...Economically, Gray’s neighborhood and the adjacent Harlem Park were found to be a disaster zone, with an unemployment rate of one in five (nearly double that of Baltimore as a whole), almost a third of families living in poverty, and more than half of all households earning less than $25,000 a year. Abandoned lots and unsound housing conditions were exceedingly common, with almost a quarter of all the neighborhood’s buildings standing vacant (compared with 5 percent of buildings across all of Baltimore) and the rate of lead paint violations almost four times as high as it was citywide. (According to a lawsuit filed by the Gray family against their landlord, Gray and his two sisters were all found to have “damaging lead levels in their blood.”)

Those underlying conditions are bad enough, obviously. But the Health Department report doesn’t get truly shocking until you read about what actually happens in Sandtown-Winchester/Harlem Park. For starters, look at the juvenile arrest rate: Citywide, Baltimore saw 145.1 kids out of every thousand arrested between 2005 and 2009; in Sandtown-Winchester/Harlem Park, that number was 252.3. As the Baltimore Sun pointed out in an op-ed, that means a quarter of all 10-to-17-year-olds in Gray’s neighborhood were arrested at some point during the time period in question. (A separate study, published this past February, found that Sandtown-Winchester had sent more of its people to state prison than any other census tract in Maryland.)

Arguably even more striking than the arrest numbers is the disparity that the Health Department found between the city’s overall homicide rate and the homicide rate in Gray’s community, with residents of Sandtown-Winchester/Harlem Park more than twice as likely to be killed than residents of Baltimore overall. If you look at nonfatal shootings, you see pretty much the same ratio, with 91.2 people for every 10,000 being shot in Gray’s corner of Baltimore, versus 46.5 citywide...

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2015/04/freddie_gray_death_a_closer_look_at_the_tragically_impoverished_and_violent.html
Two questions for you:

1. Pittsburgh is tearing down its housing projects and mixing the subsidized in with market rate housing with some success. Have they tried anything like that down there?

2. Do you think what Rand Paul is suggesting for such neighborhoods has any merit?

http://www.paul.senate.gov/files/documents/EconomicFreedomZones.pdf

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Two questions for you:

1. Pittsburgh is tearing down its housing projects and mixing the subsidized in with market rate housing with some success. Have they tried anything like that down there?

2. Do you think what Rand Paul is suggesting for such neighborhoods has any merit?

Bmore tore down the high rise projects, some low rise one remains.

Montgomery County, outside of DC, has had a mixed housing approach for quite a number of years. As the county is populated and wealthy...it seems to have had some positive effect.

Here's a take on the greater Baltimore area...focusing on the northern suburbs, my stomping grounds as a kid. Hasn't changed much...

Baltimore is a Shithole...

http://gawker.com/baltimore-is-a-shithole-undisturbed-peace-at-the-mar-1700526944

Full disclosure...I went to school with those people...:eek:

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Two questions for you:

As to Paul:.

Business welfare has its place. Tax breaks run out eventually though.

Baltimore once had a "Dollar Home" program. They took over abandoned homes and sold them to anyone who wanted them for $1. They were required to fix the house and have it habitable within two years and own it for a total of 5 years prior to reselling it.

That had some success...

Montgomery County, outside of DC, has had a mixed housing approach for quite a number of years. As the county is populated and wealthy...it seems to have had some positive effect.

Here's a take on the greater Baltimore area...focusing on the northern suburbs, my stomping grounds as a kid. Hasn't changed much...

http://gawker.com/baltimore-is-a-shithole-undisturbed-peace-at-the-mar-1700526944

Interesting story. So a whole bunch of young people got together, got drunk, partied, had loud music, etc. Why no rioting?

Lukey

Senator

Haha! So you're a limousine liberal then?

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Haha! So you're a limousine liberal then?
Not so much. I was a public school kid in a private school world. The old man bought a good lot and built a modest house on it.

But the public school still had kids who wore pastel pants...

Lukey

Senator
As to Paul:.

Business welfare has its place. Tax breaks run out eventually though.

Baltimore once had a "Dollar Home" program. They took over abandoned homes and sold them to anyone who wanted them for $1. They were required to fix the house and have it habitable within two years and own it for a total of 5 years prior to reselling it.

That had some success...
Yes, that's a problem with these programs but if even some of the businesses can make it it should help rebuild the area. We did a super good job with East Liberty:

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2011/09/25/East-Liberty-finds-formula-for-success/stories/201109250243

But many of the criminal element just moved on to Homewood Brushton so there's still work to do. But the more jobs you put into walking distance (or a short bus ride) from the worst neighborhoods, the more chances there are for kids who want to get out to do so.

Lukey

Senator
Not so much. I was a public school kid in a private school world. The old man bought a good lot and built a modest house on it.

But the public school still had kids who wore pastel pants...
Good for your dad then! The first three rules in buying real estate is location, location and location. I bet the public school there was pretty good. We have a neighborhood like that called Fox Chapel. It's where Teresa Heinz' farm is located. I got as close as I could since her place is only about five miles from mine as the crow flies. I'm in a less affluent township but I did the same thing and found a reasonably priced home surrounded by expensive ones. You can never go wrong that way...

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Good for your dad then! The first three rules in buying real estate is location, location and location. I bet the public school there was pretty good. We have a neighborhood like that called Fox Chapel. It's where Teresa Heinz' farm is located. I got as close as I could since her place is only about five miles from mine as the crow flies. I'm in a less affluent township but I did the same thing and found a reasonably priced home surrounded by expensive ones. You can never go wrong that way...
It was a very good school. Top students/classes etc were easily private school stuff. Indeed, our It's Academic and High School Bowl teams won their competitions over those private school kids. I can name the team...two folks became somewhat famous, depending on one's circles. Music critic JD Considine...and poet Mary Jo Salter were on both teams. I knew both in those teen years, neither now. It's been 43 years since I walked into the school...

http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Jo-Salter/e/B000APGIQU

We had good labs, science, language and shops, good arts facilities...and a brand new library opened just before my years there. I didn't take advantage of all the offerings, that's for sure.

It's a nice building too. Stone, not a common material...

Lukey

Senator
It was a very good school. Top students/classes etc were easily private school stuff. Indeed, our It's Academic and High School Bowl teams won their competitions over those private school kids. I can name the team...two folks became somewhat famous, depending on one's circles. Music critic JD Considine...and poet Mary Jo Salter were on both teams. I knew both in those teen years, neither now. It's been 43 years since I walked into the school...

http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Jo-Salter/e/B000APGIQU

We had good labs, science, language and shops, good arts facilities...and a brand new library opened just before my years there. I didn't take advantage of all the offerings, that's for sure.

It's a nice building too. Stone, not a common material...
Makes my high school look like a dump. But we were more interested in the "high" part than the school, if you catch my drift...

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Makes my high school look like a dump. But we were more interested in the "high" part than the school, if you catch my drift...
Yeah...it was definitely "high" school during my years too...

I remember a 20th Century Music class field trip...electronica...that was really enhanced...

It's all very different now. The whole system has changed radically and seems to have magnet and specialty schools.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towson_High_School#Academics

...The law magnet requires seven total law credits, which can be obtained within the span of four years by approved courses. In the 9th grade, students take an Introduction to Law Research and Legal Writing Course. This class is currently taught by Towson High alumnus Randy Dase, longtime soccer coach. In 10th grade, students take a Trial Advocacy and Criminal Law course in a classroom that replicates a courtroom, complete with witness box, jury box, defense/prosecution tables, etc. In the next two years, students can choose from a variety of electives, including Latin, forensic science, philosophy, international law, AP Government, and other law-related courses to fulfill the remaining law credits required for graduation in accordance with the Law and Public Policy magnet...

Alumnus Randy Dase. That's a fun tale. I knew Randy in 2nd grade. We were on the same baseball team...first one. I moved and didn't see him until 10th grade. We remembered each other, but never ran in the same circles.

A 3 letter man, he went to Hopkins, starred in lacrosse...and returned immediately to Towson High to teach and coach. I walked into the 25th reunion...Randy Dase walks up and says "Hi Craig"...like he saw me last week. Chatted a few minutes. Haven't seen him since. Good dude. Dedicated.

Lukey

Senator

I remember a 20th Century Music class field trip...electronica...that was really enhanced...

It's all very different now. The whole system has changed radically and seems to have magnet and specialty schools.

...The law magnet requires seven total law credits, which can be obtained within the span of four years by approved courses. In the 9th grade, students take an Introduction to Law Research and Legal Writing Course. This class is currently taught by Towson High alumnus Randy Dase, longtime soccer coach. In 10th grade, students take a Trial Advocacy and Criminal Law course in a classroom that replicates a courtroom, complete with witness box, jury box, defense/prosecution tables, etc. In the next two years, students can choose from a variety of electives, including Latin, forensic science, philosophy, international law, AP Government, and other law-related courses to fulfill the remaining law credits required for graduation in accordance with the Law and Public Policy magnet...

Alumnus Randy Dase. That's a fun tale. I knew Randy in 2nd grade. We were on the same baseball team...first one. I moved and didn't see him until 10th grade. We remembered each other, but never ran in the same circles.

A 3 letter man, he went to Hopkins, starred in lacrosse...and returned immediately to Towson High to teach and coach. I walked into the 25th reunion...Randy Dase walks up and says "Hi Craig"...like he saw me last week. Chatted a few minutes. Haven't seen him since. Good dude. Dedicated.
Hahaha! The children of elite technocrats being taught to become even more good little technocrats! Only in the DC orbit...

Lukey

Senator

Hey Craig - I tried to send you a message but you have your profile locked so I have to do it here. I remembered another great Harry Dean Stanton movie that if you haven't seen it you should definitely check it out:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073605/

Another that will definitely not disappoint you! One of my all time favs...

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Hey Craig - I tried to send you a message but you have your profile locked so I have to do it here. I remembered another great Harry Dean Stanton movie that if you haven't seen it you should definitely check it out:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073605/

Another that will definitely not disappoint you! One of my all time favs...
Thanks.

Yeah...I only accept messages from admin and "followers". I have zero interest in having messages from the lunatic right wingers, most of whom I have placed on ignore due to their inability to ever post something salient or pertinent to the discussion.

My interest in their bs is non existent and the easiest way to remove myself from their backbiting contentious nastiness is to ignore the gnats.

Lukey

Senator
Thanks.

Yeah...I only accept messages from admin and "followers". I have zero interest in having messages from the lunatic right wingers, most of whom I have placed on ignore due to their inability to ever post something salient or pertinent to the discussion.

My interest in their bs is non existent and the easiest way to remove myself from their backbiting contentious nastiness is to ignore the gnats.
I can certainly understand that. But seriously, I think Rancho Deluxe will be right up your ally.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
I can certainly understand that. But seriously, I think Rancho Deluxe will be right up your ally.
Great cast...There are so many movies. I spent a lot of time in the theaters when I lived in SF, but still have many holes. SF had a terrific film culture. Little and quirky films (Erendira, Shirley Valentine) that might play one night in Baltimore would play for months, first run, in SF.

Patti...aka Lady...D'Arbanville...