• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Debt deal reached

EatTheRich

President
Not much way to get a deal more favorable to working people without mobilizing union power independent from the Democratic and Republican Parties.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
From your source:

"The deal would suspend the debt limit through January of 2025, while capping spending in the 2024 and 2025 budgets, claw back unused COVID funds, speed up the permitting process for some energy projects and includes some extra work requirements for food aid programs for poor Americans."

"Negotiators have agreed to cap non-defense discretionary spending at 2023 levels for one year and increase it by 1% in 2025, a source familiar with the deal said."

Where are the "cuts"?

TBLee

Governor
From your source:

"The deal would suspend the debt limit through January of 2025, while capping spending in the 2024 and 2025 budgets, claw back unused COVID funds, speed up the permitting process for some energy projects and includes some extra work requirements for food aid programs for poor Americans."

"Negotiators have agreed to cap non-defense discretionary spending at 2023 levels for one year and increase it by 1% in 2025, a source familiar with the deal said."

Where are the "cuts"?
I believe work requirements are a plus. Time will tell if this even passes.

Zam-Zam

Senator
From your source:

Where are the "cuts"?

Fair question.

In the parlance of Washington, denying an increase to spending is often represented as a "cut"...Which is not the way the average, rational American would see it.

Our 'leaders' in action...

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
I believe work requirements are a plus. Time will tell if this even passes.

"Debt Deal Cuts $21 Billion Of IRS $80 Billion, 87,000 New IRS Agents Stay"

That's over a 10 year spread. All GOPs did was protect tax cheats.

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
"Debt Deal Cuts $21 Billion Of IRS $80 Billion, 87,000 New IRS Agents Stay"

That's over a 10 year spread. All GOPs did was protect tax cheats.
Have to protect those wealthy guys and the big corporations' mega donors, you know how that goes.:rolleyes:

TBLee

Governor
I read your CNN link. McCarthy has been crowing about forcing Joe to the negotiating table. Looks to me like McCarthy really sucks at negotiating. McCarthy got a little something to save face, maybe, but otherwise he got his ass handed to him by Joe. You think 218 House GOPs are gonna vote for that deal?
McCarthy got something. It was Joe who actually caved. Honestly, as one once said “what difference does it make”. Lol. have no idea if all will vote for the deal. At least there is a tentative deal. I full expect the squad to vote against it.

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
I think the work requirements are a plus.
A small concession, apparently no worries over it.
While the new 99-page bill does include changes to work requirements for government assistance programs, White House officials say the agreed-upon language would have “much less severe consequences” than the House GOP legislation.

The White House has also argued that the overall spending agreements are ultimately a win for Democrats; a White House source argued the deal would help avert “enormous cuts to key programs and investments.”

And officials were also quick to point to key priorities that were left untouched in the final legislation, including that there are no changes to Medicare work requirements and that veterans medical care will be fully funded.

TBLee

Governor
A small concession, apparently no worries over it.
While the new 99-page bill does include changes to work requirements for government assistance programs, White House officials say the agreed-upon language would have “much less severe consequences” than the House GOP legislation.

The White House has also argued that the overall spending agreements are ultimately a win for Democrats; a White House source argued the deal would help avert “enormous cuts to key programs and investments.”

And officials were also quick to point to key priorities that were left untouched in the final legislation, including that there are no changes to Medicare work requirements and that veterans medical care will be fully funded.

Worrying about it will not do any of us any good. What will happen will happen. Personally, I lack much faith in our leaders in general, regardless of their political affiliation. It would be lovely if they could meet in the middle.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Worrying about it will not do any of us any good. What will happen will happen. Personally, I lack much faith in our leaders in general, regardless of their political affiliation. It would be lovely if they could meet in the middle.
It will be what it will be, it's the games politicians play to scare people
not counting my chicks until they hatch
Debt ceiling agreement gets thumbs up from business groups, jeers from some on political right (msn.com)
Politicians are Americans biggest problem, if it was as bad as reported they would be in their seats in DC and not home having parties

TBLee

Governor
It will be what it will be, it's the games politicians play to scare people
not counting my chicks until they hatch
Debt ceiling agreement gets thumbs up from business groups, jeers from some on political right (msn.com)
Politicians are Americans biggest problem, if it was as bad as reported they would be in their seats in DC and not home having parties
When politicians live in the real world, on the income of the average real world…..I will be much more willing to trust them.

Jack4freedom

Governor
You mean like….Hunter Biden??
You really have Hunter deep in your craw TB. What’s up with that? He is not even an elected official, nor has he been deemed a tax cheat by anybody but the right wing noise machine. I find it pretty damn funny that right wingers are so obsessed with this guy. Is it just a matter of reflex training that compels you to blurt out his name impulsively? Personally, I have never examined his tax returns…have you? Lol