• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Expand Background Checks How ?

protectionist

Governor
Over the past 13 years, I have bought 2 guns. A pistol 13 years ago, and a shotgun 2 years ago. Both times, I had to wait 3 business days before I could receive my gun. Both times a NATIONAL FBI check (NICS) was done to see if I had any criminal record recorded, anywhere in the USA. I don't and I received my guns after the 3 day waiting period.

That is the minimum of what that check was. There might have been more to it, and I still don't know the full extent. I wonder if the people who are calling for expansion of background checks could tell me exactly what is being checked currently on gun buyers. I also wonder what additional checks these people are interested in doing. Checks about WHAT ? And HOW ? Can they be SPECIFIC on what they are wanting to do ? If so, let's hear it.

Since launching in 1998, more than 300 million NICS checks have been done, leading to more than 1.5 million denials. So what does anyone think should be added ?

1655125441689.png

We should get rid of background checks. The idea of denying a constitutional right because of some non-violent victimless "crime" 20 years ago is wrong. Ask pete rose or martha stewart.

Over the past 13 years, I have bought 2 guns. A pistol 13 years ago, and a shotgun 2 years ago. Both times, I had to wait 3 business days before I could receive my gun. Both times a NATIONAL FBI check (NICS) was done to see if I had any criminal record recorded, anywhere in the USA. I don't and I received my guns after the 3 day waiting period.

That is the minimum of what that check was. There might have been more to it, and I still don't know the full extent. I wonder if the people who are calling for expansion of background checks could tell me exactly what is being checked currently on gun buyers. I also wonder what additional checks these people are interested in doing. Checks about WHAT ? And HOW ? Can they be SPECIFIC on what they are wanting to do ? If so, let's hear it.

Since launching in 1998, more than 300 million NICS checks have been done, leading to more than 1.5 million denials. So what does anyone think should be added ?

View attachment 70779
They should add a colonoscopy.

protectionist

Governor
We should get rid of background checks. The idea of denying a constitutional right because of some non-violent victimless "crime" 20 years ago is wrong. Ask pete rose or martha stewart.
So you're saying that a gun can't be bought by somebody with a record of a non-violent victimless "crime" 20 years ago ? Do you have a source link for that ?

Also, to say we should get rid of background checks all together is ludicrous.

write on

Senator

View attachment 70779
What's your solution?

write on

Senator
I have a few solutions, but they're of topic of this thread.

I'm looking for SPECIFIC answers to HOW anyone who supports expanded background checks, wants to expand them.
You can start with the 'red flag' laws. Look at the statistics.

But you right wingers have a problem with admitting your mental anguish.

....and go from there.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
I have a few solutions, but they're of topic of this thread.

I'm looking for SPECIFIC answers to HOW anyone who supports expanded background checks, wants to expand them.
Universal Background Checks.
Increased enforcement. If an ex-felon has a gun, track down the seller. If a crime was committed with the gun and the seller did not do a background check then the seller is complicit in the crime. Prosecute accordingly.

Include Juvenile records if the buyer is under 21.

middleview

President
Supporting Member

View attachment 70779
I bought a 9mm S&W a couple of years ago at a gun shop. Waited 15 minutes and walked out with the gun and a couple of boxes of ammo. Sold the gun a year later to a private buyer...went back to the same gun shop, paid $25 for the background check and again, after about 15 minutes, he left with the gun.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Universal Background Checks.
Increased enforcement. If an ex-felon has a gun, track down the seller. If a crime was committed with the gun and the seller did not do a background check then the seller is complicit in the crime. Prosecute accordingly.

Include Juvenile records if the buyer is under 21.

I like that . Extend liability to sellers that don't do background checks. Maybe even chain of custody triggers.. (i.e. whenever a gun is sold .alert sent to all previous owners reminding them to check their records to be sure they took all necessary steps)

middleview

President
Supporting Member
I like that . Extend liability to sellers that don't do background checks. Maybe even chain of custody triggers.. (i.e. whenever a gun is sold .alert sent to all previous owners reminding them to check their records to be sure they took all necessary steps)
The problem there is that it would require registration and there would be a lot of resistance to that.

I think the ATF should record that a background check on a specific serial number was done on a specific day and at a specific gun shop. The stores keep paper records of the sale, but is not part of a national database anywhere.

I would definitely encourage sellers to maintain the paper work on the sale if ever confronted over the sale. I would also make the penalty for illegal sales much stiffer.
Should be a felony and I think it is a misdemeanor now.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
The problem there is that it would require registration and there would be a lot of resistance to that.

I think the ATF should record that a background check on a specific serial number was done on a specific day and at a specific gun shop. The stores keep paper records of the sale, but is not part of a national database anywhere.

I would definitely encourage sellers to maintain the paper work on the sale if ever confronted over the sale. I would also make the penalty for illegal sales much stiffer.
Should be a felony and I think it is a misdemeanor now.
Then I guess we need a national dayabase

middleview

President
Supporting Member
I guess therein lies our problem.

If some podunk sells a gun to a kid..who goes berserk..and kills. I think liability should attach to the prior owner who did not follow proper processes
Me too. So you back up the chain to the last time there was a background check on that gun and go to the gun shop to get the record of the sale. Interview that owner to find out what happened to the gun. "Oh, it was stolen"....but never reported as stolen? That too should be against the law.

I sold it to my neighbor and didn't get a background check...now that seller is liable for the crime committed and you then talk to the neighbor...what did you do with the gun? Oh, gave it to my nephew...oops, no background check.

Given the fact that the paperwork is not computerized it does make the investigation more expensive...but that is what gun owners may accept.

I also suggested that when you legally buy a gun you have a digital card produced at the shop that says what caliber your gun is and allows you to buy ammo for that gun. When you sell that gun the info on you owning it is removed from your ammo card.

If you do not have a legal ammo card you can't buy bullets. Stolen guns would become harder to use.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Me too. So you back up the chain to the last time there was a background check on that gun and go to the gun shop to get the record of the sale. Interview that owner to find out what happened to the gun. "Oh, it was stolen"....but never reported as stolen? That too should be against the law.

I sold it to my neighbor and didn't get a background check...now that seller is liable for the crime committed and you then talk to the neighbor...what did you do with the gun? Oh, gave it to my nephew...oops, no background check.

Given the fact that the paperwork is not computerized it does make the investigation more expensive...but that is what gun owners may accept.

I also suggested that when you legally buy a gun you have a digital card produced at the shop that says what caliber your gun is and allows you to buy ammo for that gun. When you sell that gun the info on you owning it is removed from your ammo card.

If you do not have a legal ammo card you can't buy bullets. Stolen guns would become harder to use.
Makes sense

Seems we need a database