• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

I care about the environment...

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Nature may have to kill us to do it but it will win.
I agree, as long as we have people in power opposing the scientific experts, those greedy business men/politicians only interested in making money -- yes nature will win.

It is an interesting premise is it a fact that potable waters are drawn directly from streams and lakes and are not treated in any way whatsoever by cities and municipalities?
Sure they are... but if polluted badly enough, it requires more chemicals/treatment to make it safe.
==================================
More polluted streams would harm water quality downstream for all sorts of activities. The EPA highlights drinking, swimming, farming, fishing, tourism and manufacturing as some of them. It is important to note that even if drinking water sources do get dirtier, it would not necessarily cause unhealthy levels of pollutants in everyone’s tap water. Many people get their water from treatment plants that ostensibly would remove the pollutants—at least the pollutants that are currently regulated.

But it would still come at a cost, because community treatment plants would likely need to increase spending to remove more contaminants. It may also be harder for treatment facilities to clean the water, because they are designed to handle a certain amount of pollutants—too much could overwhelm their systems and potentially result in drinking water with unacceptable contaminant levels, says Charles Haas, professor of environmental engineering at Drexel University. Many Americans also get their water from private wells, which could be affected—shallow wells, for example, are often connected to nearby streams and other water, according to Haas. “The history of environmental protection is that you’re always better controlling contamination at the source,” he notes, “rather than dealing with it after.”
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/trump-rsquo-s-order-may-foul-u-s-drinking-water-supply/

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, as long as we have people in power opposing the scientific experts, those greedy business men/politicians only interested in making money -- yes nature will win.

Sure they are... but if polluted badly enough, it requires more chemicals/treatment to make it safe.
==================================
More polluted streams would harm water quality downstream for all sorts of activities. The EPA highlights drinking, swimming, farming, fishing, tourism and manufacturing as some of them. It is important to note that even if drinking water sources do get dirtier, it would not necessarily cause unhealthy levels of pollutants in everyone’s tap water. Many people get their water from treatment plants that ostensibly would remove the pollutants—at least the pollutants that are currently regulated.

But it would still come at a cost, because community treatment plants would likely need to increase spending to remove more contaminants. It may also be harder for treatment facilities to clean the water, because they are designed to handle a certain amount of pollutants—too much could overwhelm their systems and potentially result in drinking water with unacceptable contaminant levels, says Charles Haas, professor of environmental engineering at Drexel University. Many Americans also get their water from private wells, which could be affected—shallow wells, for example, are often connected to nearby streams and other water, according to Haas. “The history of environmental protection is that you’re always better controlling contamination at the source,” he notes, “rather than dealing with it after.”
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/trump-rsquo-s-order-may-foul-u-s-drinking-water-supply/

no argument here. agree, we should be doing everything we can to safeguard drinking waters.

the political machine is hard to spur into action. the drinking water situation in michigan comes to mind

Drumcollie

* See DC's list of Kook posters*
Greenpeace protesters who closed Houston Ship Channel face local, federal charges
By Michelle Iracheta and Jay R. Jordan

Updated 6:27 pm CDT, Friday, September 13, 2019
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Greenpeace-protesters-arrested-charged-14436988.php

Greenpeace activists could be charged with terrorism after ...
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/sep/20/greenpeace-ship-stormed-russian...
Sep 20, 2013 · Greenpeace activists could be charged with terrorism after ship stormed. After a scuffle between the activists and the Russian security forces, the 29 activists, including six British nationals, are apparently being held on board at gunpoint, while the

Greenpeace is not peaceful.

Drumcollie

Trump’s Order May Foul U.S. Drinking Water Supply
Narrowing the Clean Water Rule could increase pollution in critical waters

Trump and Republicans do NOT care about the environment or climate change. It's a shame. Teddy Roosevelt would weep. Heck, even Nixon was very serious about the environment.
Like Obama and Democrats did in Flint Michigan?

Raoul_Luke

I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.
I tend to favor good stewardship of the environment myself. But the fact is, the enviro-leftists aren't really trying to save the environment - they are trying to implement communism through force. The "green" agenda is about control, not clean air and water.

Drumcollie

I tend to favor good stewardship of the environment myself. But the fact is, the enviro-leftists aren't really trying to save the environment - they are trying to implement communism through force. The "green" agenda is about control, not clean air and water.
If Climate change was science...Every retort from lefty would not be insults.