• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

I remember someone asked

Wahbooz

Governor
about stories from Vietnam, so here's just one. But i'll let the skipper tell it. Lt Fred Mangol, the best skipper, and the best ship, in Amphibious Forces. I just found several videos of interviews he did, but this one was from II Corp.

Wahbooz

Governor
I can't remember when it was, so many years ago, but this may have been the time a Russian sub surfaced off our starboard side and watched us for awhile, and taking pictures of us. They just waved and submerged.

Wahbooz

Governor
Most of the guys were fresh out of boot camp, but they grew up very quickly. Our crew was awarded Top Gun. We were referred to as McHale's Navy at times, but we did our job.

Wahbooz

Governor
The Cutter was the USCGC Point Kennedy tied up alongside us, and PCF 98 with us, along with the Coconino and Westchester Countys. He neglected to mention the use of 50 cal being used as well. From there the ship entered the Ham Luong in support of the Marines. Deckhouse 5 was the first in-country amphibious assault done from the rivers. It was written up in All Hands issue July 1967.