• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

It's not the gun.

Zam-Zam

Senator
It's the malevolence holding the gun.

November 21, 2021: Darrell Brooks Jr. drove a Ford Escape through a Christmas parade killing six people and injuring 62 others.

I know of no one who:

a) Blames the car.

b) Blames the car manufacturer.

c) Blames any traffic law.

d) Blames whoever sold him the vehicle.

Presumably, because that would be an outrageously stupid thing to do.

Waukesha Christmas parade attack - Wikipedia

middleview

President
Supporting Member
November 21, 2021: Darrell Brooks Jr. drove a Ford Escape through a Christmas parade killing six people and injuring 62 others.

I know of no one who:

a) Blames the car.

How many people are murdered every year by some idiot with a car, intentionally running them down? Is it anywhere near 37,000?

RickWA

Snagglesooth
In the context under discussion less dangerous obviously.
Lefty wants to govern down to the least common denominator. It’s a great formula - just lower standards and restrict the rights based on the worst and least capable people. The bonus is that if there are disliked rights…all you need are some bad guys.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Lefty wants to govern down to the least common denominator. It’s a great formula - just lower standards and restrict the rights based on the worst and least capable people. The bonus is that if there are disliked rights…all you need are some bad guys.
seems these two ideas we're workign on will affect a relatve few

Jack4freedom

Governor

I know of no one who:

a) Blames the car.

That may certainly be true however maybe we should look at some countries who have had NO mass shootings and VERY FEW gun related deaths and examine their policies regarding guns to get some ideas about how to greatly reduce gun violence here in America. It is certainly worth a try.

Spamature

President

I know of no one who:

a) Blames the car.

Because that one act was 1% of all intentional vehicular homicides.
A gunman would have to kill 400 people in a single event in order to match that 1% of all intentional gun deaths.

That's why people don't blame his vehicles.

Zam-Zam

Senator
Because that one act was 1% of all intentional vehicular homicides.
A gunman would have to kill 400 people in a single event in order to match that 1% of all intentional gun deaths.

That's why people don't blame his vehicles.
I believe people don't blame vehicles due to the fact they are inanimate objects.

Blaming inanimate objects for what people do is mind-boggling foolish.

You stand corrected.

Zam-Zam

Senator
That may certainly be true however maybe we should look at some countries who have had NO mass shootings and VERY FEW gun related deaths and examine their policies regarding guns to get some ideas about how to greatly reduce gun violence here in America. It is certainly worth a try.
Or perhaps take a look at our culture.

Guns have been around a long time...Human behavior has changed in recent years.

If we do not address the human behavioral component, we are doomed to failure before we begin.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
I believe people don't blame vehicles due to the fact they are inanimate objects.

Blaming inanimate objects for what people do is mind-boggling foolish.

You stand corrected.
Ah, but it is people with inanimate objects that kill 37,000 per year.

Do nothing and things will improve on their own...right?

middleview

President
Supporting Member
And if you support 2nd amendment rights for convicts, people sent for mandatory psychiatric care, people who have restraining orders against them...what would you want to do to lessen the slaughter?

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Neither do you.

People want guns, even if it's against the law for them to have them.

People want drugs, even if they're against the law for them to have them.

The laws you pass do not affect them. It's an exercise in futility.
We have universal background checks in Colorado. The number of gun purchases declined shows it is working. There are still things that I'd add...one of which is to make the seller liable for charges of complicity if a gun is sold without a background check and a crime is committed with the gun. At present the crime charged is too little to serve as a deterrent.

Drugs are a different issue all together. Start your own thread if you wish to gather opinions on it.

Number_58

I'm one of the deplorables lefty warns you about.
How many people are murdered every year by some idiot with a car, intentionally running them down? Is it anywhere near 37,000?
More than 11,600 were killed in accidents involving drinking and driving. Should we ban alcohol and sue the distillers and brewers in the US? Blame beer and whiskey for these deaths?