• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Language in the Classroom

In schools with high non-English speaking students, what method should be used?

• Bilingual Classroom

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • English Speaking Classroom

Votes: 43 66.2%

• Total voters

Days

Commentator
And as I've posted all over this thread... yes learning a 2nd language is important (it was required for my public high school graduation) ... but bilingual education is not about language, it is about reaching young children with education.

Sorry Sandy but Spanish is Spanish and the correct version of it is Castilian. Why? Who cares. Teach the language the way it should be spoken and then you can adapt it anyway you like but for goodness sake, never accept dialects as the true language. I am with JD on this one, Spanish is Spanish, English is English and German is German. Mexican Spanish is not Spanish, it is Mexican. My mom came here and could barely understand Mexicans, she thought they spoke like illiterate slobs. I agree.

CFMPP

Council Member
Well an Englishman thinks I speak like an illiterate slob but if you don't like my American English Sandy move to England

fairsheet

Senator
Sorry Sandy but Spanish is Spanish and the correct version of it is Castilian. Why? Who cares. Teach the language the way it should be spoken and then you can adapt it anyway you like but for goodness sake, never accept dialects as the true language. I am with JD on this one, Spanish is Spanish, English is English and German is German. Mexican Spanish is not Spanish, it is Mexican. My mom came here and could barely understand Mexicans, she thought they spoke like illiterate slobs. I agree.
Castillian? I read recently, that the muckety-mucks who attend to such things, made the formal decision that THE "official repository" (or whatever) of "standard" and perfectly-spoken Spanish, was a city in Colombia. It may be Bogota and it may not be, but it WAS a city in Colombia - not one in Spain, or Mexico, or anywhere else.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Yeah, if she got even the slightest hint that I was pleased with her decision, she would have dropped the class. Why didn't I think of that?

CFMPP

Council Member
Need to be able to comunicate

Yes we need to be able to communicate with the populous around us not a Castillian. Unless we are surrounded by Castillians, then that would be the proper.

Castillian? I read recently, that the muckety-mucks who attend to such things, made the formal decision that THE "official repository" (or whatever) of "standard" and perfectly-spoken Spanish, was a city in Colombia. It may be Bogota and it may not be, but it WAS a city in Colombia - not one in Spain, or Mexico, or anywhere else.

BitterPill

The Shoe Cometh
Supporting Member
I don't think American kids should be forced to learn Spanish. I think they should be encouraged to but if they just don't want to, that is their right.

I have tried to push my grandkids to learn Spanish but they just don't want to. One of them is taking French, totally stupid in my opinion and I told her so. How many Frogs are there in Texas?
Perhaps she doesn't want to stay in Texas.

CFMPP

Council Member
We don't push at all

Well then we shouldn't expect it to be mandatory for Latino Americans to learn English.That will put them ahead of English only children if they know 2 languages. When English only children can't find work (which is happening now)Don't blame anyone but ourselves for not making them strive harder to succeed. Mandatory and they'll have to learn or not graduate, just like the Latinos who can't pass English. It's called an equal playing field for all.

Perhaps she doesn't want to stay in Texas.

kgswiger

Council Member
I think English should be the official language too.

I favor biligual education because we have such a dumbed down electorate, and educational reform has to start somewhere.

A second, useful language we be a great place to start in regard to exercising our childrens' brains better.

You don't use it, you lose it, as witnessed by the brain-dead masses exiting our schools, whether diploma-less or diploma in hand.
I don't like the idea of an official language. That's a bit too Big Brother for me. But I do agree all students should be required to learn at least 1 other language, besides English. I chose German, because of my ancestry, and because of all the Amish in the area. Unfortunately, I hardly ever get a chance to use it anymore, and I know I've forgotten most of it.