• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Lookout Mountain

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
My paternal gg grandfather on my mother's side of the family was in the 40th Alabama Infantry Regiment,part of Moore's Brigade on the right flank of the Confederate line at the base of Lookout Mountain. As Civil War battles go with the number of troops engaged and casualties incurred,the Battle Of Lookout Mountain can best be described as a skirmish. The 40th Alabama Infantry Regiment was in the thick of it. Saw this casualty report on display at The Museum Of The Confederacy in Richmond VA in January.
IMG_20160108_114056514.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
The Battle Of Lookout Mountain is better known as the "Battle Above The Clouds". In Lookout Valley and lower Tennessee there are often low hanging clouds well into the day. Was in Chattanooga in June and made a day trip to Franklin, TN the first full day there and got to personally observe that phenomenon myself.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
A Mort Kunstler print called "Battle Above The Clouds" I'd like to have. It's from 1992 and long since sold out at his site. Quite pricey on the after market.

197_2.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
View of Lookout Mountain from Chattanooga National Cemetery on 6/11/2016:

2016-06-11 08.52.20.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
A Mort Kunstler print called "Battle Above The Clouds" I'd like to have. It's from 1992 and long since sold out at his site. Quite pricey on the after market.

View attachment 33625
I might add that I picked one of these up earlier this year and had it museum quality framed. Seems that someone had donated a number of Mort Kunstler prints some years ago to Shenandoah University in Virginia. Earlier this year they sold some at very reasonable prices. The Civil War enthusiast community is graying and the collectible artwork market is declining.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Anniversary bump. Got a group tour planned at Chickamauga next October. I plan to arrive early and visit Lookout Mountain again and walk some trails this time. Got this book on order:

51pcjUY-4HL._SY400_.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Wall size painting of the Battle of Lookout Mountain at the Point Park Visitor Center on Lookout Mountain.

2018-10-25 14.49.39.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Anniversary bump. Been up on the mountain twice. I'd like to go again and walk some trails next time. Read this book earlier this year and in contains the most detailed description of The Battle Of Lookout Mountain that I have read:

9780252019227-us-300.jpg

voyager

4Q2247365
I've been there. What a screw up for the South. Jefferson Davis should have swallowed his pride and let Bedford Forrest run the Army of the Tenn.